Topic: How do I go about finding a new group of friends in the modern age?

Sort Replies:

Reply by Meem

posted

Share fun stories and insights and see if you can catch a glimpse at what someones fav interests are, usually even very quiet people have something theyre obsessed with so ask open ended questions on that. Artists and people who decorate their stuff alot usually show alot of interests yo can ask abt!!

Report Reply

Reply by Mike

posted

If you have a pretty defined set of interests, see if there are any clubs/groups/meetups in your area related to that thing. Then on top of meeting new people you already have a built-in conversation starter. If there's nothing like that available locally, you may try just getting involved in your community in general. See if you can volunteer somewhere, or advocate for an issue that's important to you.

Conversationally, getting curious about others can help a lot in building the foundation for an eventual friendship. Listening well when people tell you about themselves, and following your natural curiosity in your conversations. Other than that... I dunno!

Report Reply

Reply by Arius

posted

Friendships tend to form organically through mutually shared activities. All the friends I have now are people I met because we did stuff together. Get involved politically - attend local marches, rallies, organizing meetings, political spaces, etc. Take martial arts or a sport. Start a band (if you don't know any musicians, you can find people at open mics or put up posters at places like the library seeking bandmates). And so on. Whatever appeals to you. I did all of the above and I made so many friends I don't know what to do with them all.

Report Reply

Reply by Silversarr

posted

You rlly js have to talk to people that have the same interests as you, or have something in common it might sound like a lot of work but I promise it's not. Friendships don't always work out and that's okay! Not everyone is going to like you or have the same interests and that's totally normal!

Report Reply

Reply by sgitheanach

posted

Hello, Bee. I see you're struggling with the friendship heebee jeebies in the 21st contemporary century. Firstly, I recommend popping a sweet tab of E, and let the sweet lullabies of the night blissfully carry you away. Movie recommendation while popping a sweet tab of E: The Exorcist. E for Exorcist. Also, Lucy, if you're reading this, fuck Inverness, you cunty ass little sweaty slimy bitch!

I hope you make some good friends, Bee! (Just not ones like Lucy).

Sincerely,

Fiend

Report Reply

Reply by juiiicyhenny

posted

Srry if this reply is late and bthers you, but I made a couple of new friends last year through simply talking more and going to new spaces like work, clubs, school. It always works w just being nice and giving a compliment or just greeting them!

Report Reply

Reply by kalista

posted

If you're in school, ask someone next to you a question about the material. Complain about the teacher or the workload. Ask them for a favor. If you notice someone alone, ask if you can sit next to them. COMPLIMENT PEOPLE, genuinely it helps so much and even if you never talk beyond that, it'll leave a good impression of you on that person.

If you aren't in school, it's best to meet people by simply going out and enjoying your hobbies. Sadly "third spaces" (places other than home and work) are less accessible now. Still, try practicing conversation with people whenever you can. Have small talk with your server or something. Take a class for something you enjoy. And just.. get out and touch grass and you'll find someone who's nice

Report Reply

Reply by Haimi_Hana14

posted

Antes creí saber el como hacer amigos, pero ahora que entre a la u, me di cuenta que no se hacer un grupo de amigas reales y no toxico, además me entere que en el colegio a las personas que considere amigos, pues en realidad no querian juntarse conmigo porque era "complicada" Entonces no lo se :c

Report Reply

Reply by crier [MUSIC ON PROFILE]

posted

I highly recommend getting into some sport. From my experience, you meet lots of people that way and people are generally social because it IS a social activity. At the very least you'll get experience talking to people even if it's not immediate friendship. Something like ping pong or badminton is recommended because you don't need a whole group to play with.

You can ask people to play with you, how long they've been playing, how often they play where you're at, and generally keep asking questions! And then you can add each other on whatever platform you please to keep in touch

Report Reply

Reply by Arius

posted
updated

I know two ways to make friends. 

1. Working on projects together with people. That can look like all sorts of things. Volunteer somewhere. Get involved in political action. Grow food with people in community gardens or guerrilla gardens. Start a band. Pick a sport and join a team. Learn martial arts. Take a pottery class. Find a group that does local hikes. Start a book club. Help someone with their homework or things they struggle with due to disability or whatever. Just do anything that gets you into a group of people with a shared goal and/or common interests, where you're doing an activity together.

2. Get some housemates / roommates. Preferably in a situation where you're ALL on the lease, so nobody has power over anybody else.

edit: just realized I responded to this 4 months ago with pretty much the same advice, but this has some slightly different suggestions so I guess I'm gonna leave it.

Report Reply