Topic: Books you'd recommend?

Sort Replies:

Reply by Hebe

posted

I personally love anything Magnus Mills, you should check out The Restraint of Beasts, or Three to See the King.

Report Reply

Reply by Hebe

posted

I personally love anything Magnus Mills, you should check out The Restraint of Beasts, or Three to See the King.

Report Reply

Reply by Jay

posted

I recommend you read the crossfire novels, those are really good. They are by Sylvia Day

Report Reply

Reply by Shaun

posted

The Lions of Al Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay, Sabriel by Garth Nix, The Orphan's Tales by Catherynne Valente. All of them fantasy novels.

Report Reply

Reply by Cashlin

posted

The Tao Te Ching 

Report Reply

Reply by Shaun

posted

Six Gun Snow White by Catherryne Valente. 

Report Reply

Reply by Leah V

posted

I run a bookclub called Murdereader!

Here are some of our favorite recent books:
  • Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters by Peter Langman
  • Little Shoes: The Sensational Depression-Era Murders That Became My Family's Secret by Pamela Everett
  • Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker
  • Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, & the Last Trial of Harper Lee by Casey Cep
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, & the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood by Gregg Olson
  • The Blood of Emmett Till by Timothy B. Tyson
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century by Maureen Callahan
  • Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie & Clyde by Jeff Guinn
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, & Stolen Identity by Axton Betz-Hamilton
Feel free to add me or talk to me about books - I'm always down to talk true crime books, shows, & pods!

Report Reply

Reply by Stephanie

posted

The hunger games. the giver. john Green books and my book called another world called ours :)

Report Reply

Reply by idiotic_soul

posted

I write young adult book reviews, so here’s some of my recommendations:

-Wilder Girls
-House of Hollow
-This Song Will Save Your Life
-Sky Without Stars
-The Secret History  

Report Reply

Reply by SC_Johnny

posted

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Still my favorite book of all time.

Report Reply

Reply by MrVyngaard

posted

The original Dune series by Frank Herbert:

• Dune
  • Dune Messiah
  • Children Of Dune
  • Heretics Of Dune
  • Chapterhouse Dune

Report Reply

Reply by quinn <3

posted

i dont read nearly as much as i used to so idk how much help ill be :( but i rlly like the shadow and bone trilogy and percy jackson (ive loved the entire since i was like 9 and will continue to love them). ive also read the uglies series and rlly enjoyed every book

Report Reply

Reply by Elaine

posted

House of Leaves

Novel by Mark Z. Danielewski

Took me 2 or 3ish years to finish reading. That book is COVERED in sticky notes and notes. It was a frustrating amazing book and i try and recommend anyone who is a big reader and is happy reading some thick books.

Report Reply

Reply by onthewing73

posted

I'm currently reading "Beloved". It's intense. 

Report Reply

Reply by Miss Wolfy

posted

I am sure that this one has definitely been said. However, I HIGHLY recommend The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. It was one of the novels I could not set down even if I wanted to. It captured me at the beginning and kept me until the end. I felt a mixture of emotions and was so invested.

Report Reply

Reply by Swampbaby

posted

Just Ugly cried at the last bit of The Tide Child Trilogy by RJ Barker. Can't recommend highly enough.

Report Reply

Reply by rixochixo

posted

I recommend How to Win Friends and Influence People to everyone. But for all you edgy folks, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Report Reply

Reply by droneriot

posted

Anathem by Neil Stephenson

Excellent book about philosophy and technology, a bit slow to start but remarkably engaging if you like that sort of thing. Good action (later in the book tho), good relationships, good book

Neuromancer by William Gibson

A cyberpunk classic -- absolutely excellent. Just go read it lmao.

The Futurist Cookbook by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti

“2. ‘Magic Food’: this is served from smallish bowls, covered on the outside with rough tactile materials. The bowl should be held in the left hand while the right is used to fish out the mysterious balls it contains: these will all be made of caramel, but each one filled with something different (such as candied fruits or bits of raw meat or garlic or mashed banana or chocolate or pepper) so that the diners cannot guess which flavour will enter the mouth next.” 
based based fast speed based speed quick sneed based

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

I read this in high school. It's slightly generic fantasy at the beginning, but speeds up into an interesting and engaging story.

Report Reply

Reply by Heykal Drogo

posted

A little bit bleak, and old, but I enjoyed the books below:

The Jokers, Albert Cossery,
The Tartar Steppe, Dino Buzzati
Stoner, John Williams

Report Reply

Reply by cyberrain

posted
updated

A great urban fantasy series is the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Report Reply

Reply by Telo

posted
updated

I had a good time reading Father Arseny. In particular, I was in awe of the miracles in some parts, and close to tears at other parts, particularly the part with the musician. God Bless Father Arseny

Report Reply

Reply by Ash_faq

posted

The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo favorite of all time 

Report Reply

Reply by Lea

posted

Check out the book “ so close to you “ and “ wake unto me” 

Report Reply

Reply by Lea

posted

Check out the book “ so close to you “ and “ wake unto me” 

Report Reply

Reply by Sam Soresire

posted

I def have a  LONG list of recommendations. I don't know if you use GoodReads, but I try to keep it updated with newer books I've read. There are a bunch that I have not put on there, but I can include a link. GoodReads 

Just as a general quick list:
* The Anthropocene Reviewed - John Green (not done yet but omg i love it)
* Jane Austen
* Go Ask Alice (and similar books)
* Enchantress from the Stars - Sylvia Engdahl
* Recovering from Emotionally Immature Parents - Lindsay C. Gibson
* The Bluest Eye - Toni Morrison
* A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II - Sonia Purnell
* A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
* Lord of the Rings ^_^ 

Report Reply

Reply by Andy

posted

Wishbone

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
by Carla Jablonski
its a kids book so you can finish it in an hour or two 

Report Reply

Reply by Amy Rawlings-Garman

posted

I am not sure what kind of books you are into, but I would recommend any book Jodi Picoult wrote!!! Her new book (Wish you were here) comes out in a few weeks!! (November 30th, 2021) Also she just announced that it will be a movie on Netflix as well!! She was the author that wrote My Sister's Keeper, which became a movie as well. She also writes books with her daughter. 

Report Reply

Reply by JEAN 🦋

posted

My Top Reads 
- Song of Achilles
- Ferryman
- Daughter of Sparta (by Claire Heywood)
- Nevernight
- The Lunar Chronicles

Report Reply

Reply by Rachel<3

posted

I’m not the first to say this but if you’re an adult that loved the Harry Potter as a teen, check out The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Definitely the same sort of vibe but more adult

Report Reply

Reply by Jazmine

posted

If you need some good breakup books, I recommend, "It Ends With Us" and "Out of Love".

Report Reply

Reply by Lexii

posted
updated

I love the supernatural novels. Murder mysteries and if you do to I'd recommend Insomnia and Mr. Mercedes. Just finished Mr. Mercedes and working on Insomnia. Great books by Stephen King. 

Report Reply

Reply by Christina Ireland

posted

If you like a good psychological thriller I highly recommend The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelide.

This book was such a good read, and totally blew my mind at the end. I love a good book that isn't predictable. Im really hoping the author is working on a sequel, because the ending really left it open to continue and I so badly want to know what happens next!

Report Reply

Reply by Taryn

posted

The Silent Patient! It's a debut novel by Alex Michaelides and one of the best books I've ever read. 

It's a physiological thriller with a twist that you will not expect. I recommend it to everyone because it's so enthralling, it makes it a quick read.

Report Reply

Reply by killrXtofu

posted

Escape from Freedom - Erich Fromm

Report Reply

Reply by 🔮 Danitza

posted

The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell

Description: From the actor who lived through it all and an award-winning narrative nonfiction writer: the inspiring and laugh-out-loud funny story of a mysteriously wealthy social misfit who got past every road block in the Hollywood system to achieve success on his own terms—the making of The Room, “the Citizen Kane of bad movies” (Entertainment Weekly).

The hilarious and inspiring story of how a mysterious misfit got past every roadblock in the Hollywood system to achieve success on his own terms: a $6 million cinematic catastrophe called The Room.

Report Reply

Reply by Sagittarius Jones

posted

Definitely The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck

Report Reply

Reply by deftonesslutt

posted

mysterious skin and girl interupted

Report Reply

Reply by AshyNic215

posted

Anything by Sarah J Mass, The Court of Thrones and Roses is one of my favorites. 

Report Reply

Reply by Keia Smith

posted

im more of an urban fiction type of person what type of books do you like i have plenty

Report Reply

Reply by JustLibby

posted

I've been on a Stephen King binge latley. 

Billy Summers
If it bleeds
Needful things
The Stand
Firestarter and Carrie... to name a few I recently read

I spent my quarantine when I got the rona reading clive barkers Everville and the book of blood (If horror is your thing, I recommend his works).

Also this past year I've rediscovered Anne Marie Macdonald when I picked up a copy of fall on your knees at rummage sale. Anything she writes is just beautiful. 

Just finished reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and it was a very lovely read. Now I'm working on her novel the four winds, so far so good. 

If you're not using the libby app and you like e-readers, I would recommend trying it out. If you love the library but can't always get there its a free way to browse your local selection and sample unlimited works. You can browse the e catalog to your heart's content and fear not, they offer audio books too. I just entered my library card number (I have two different cards for the two cities I have access to locally but the library hours are finicky anymore due to the rona) and all the useful recommendations have really helped me find awesome reads. 

One last thing, if you want a quick read that will move and enlighten you above all I would recommend Why Fish Don't Exist by Lulu Miller. An absolutley underrated literary masterpiece in a short novel written by a woman you may recognize from npr. I enjoy a good memior and im a fan of science so it's one of my top picks at the moment.  

Report Reply

Reply by Natasha11

posted

Beneath a scarlet sky

it ends with us
to all the bright places

Report Reply

Reply by God Fearing Ken

posted

I'd recommend The Plant Paradox by Steven R. Guntry

It's a very informational book about understanding good foods and bad foods. The difference between plants that want to be eaten and the ones that don't and the effects they have on the consumer. Lol fe changing book. Gives you a whole new perspective on eating healthy and taking care of the temple. Cancer, diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, fatigue, etc. Pretty much any health issues you could possibly have. If you want to find the solution without having to spend crazy money on doctors and prescriptions, this may be the book you've been looking for.

Report Reply

Reply by God Fearing Ken

posted

I'd recommend The Plant Paradox by Steven R. Guntry

It's a very informational book about understanding good foods and bad foods. The difference between plants that want to be eaten and the ones that don't and the effects they have on the consumer. Life changing book. Gives you a whole new perspective on eating healthy and taking care of the temple. Cancer, diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, fatigue, etc. Pretty much any health issues you could possibly have. If you want to find the solution without having to spend crazy money on doctors and prescriptions, this may be the book you've been looking for.

Report Reply

Reply by Bungledit

posted

unnatural deeds by cyn balog  for sure

Report Reply

Reply by Twice

posted

The First Bad Man is a personal favorite; it turns out being nothing like you'd originally have thought

Report Reply

Reply by Sʜᴀʏ Gᴏɢʜ 🎩

posted

All of the series by Cassandra Claire!

Report Reply

Reply by Nick Hunt

posted

try the millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson

Report Reply

Reply by Theresa Annalee

posted

Wonderland or Baby Teeth  by Zoje Stage, her books are so creepy. Or Circe by Madeline Miller if you're into Greek mythology and fantasy.Or Milk Fed by Melissa Broder if you're looking for realistic literary fiction. 

Report Reply

Reply by the.New.Vortex

posted

Humanoid by Miguel Burr

Report Reply

Reply by marty

posted

u should really read carmilla its a classic story and it inspired dracula but its rlly easy to follow the words arent hard to understand :))

Report Reply