« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

spacehey's newest competition: a myspace 1.0 revival (c. 2004-2007)

Posted by addy allure

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

so, as many of u know, abt 3 months ago, i posted on here abt a mid-aughts facebook revival called, theretrobook:

https://forum.spacehey.com/topic?id=89834

charlie wainwright, the cre8or of theretrobook, is now making a revival of myspace 1.0 (myspace c. 2004-2007) called, newspace. spacehey is a revival of myspace 2.0 (myspace c. 2008-2010), so ig it only makes sense.

i'm kinda interested in what newspace has 2 offer, since i've seen development pictures of it on its retrobook profile, which i will insert below @ the end.

but anyway, charlie said that newspace will have a lot of features that spacehey currently doesn't have but will have in the future, including photo albums, videos, music players, and other things the og myspace had that spacehey doesn't have (yet).

charlie has also confirmed that newspace will have a launch d8 in january 2023, or l8r, since he's busy making upd8es 2 theretrobook 2 make it look more like facebook c. 2007-2009.

even if newspace takes off, i'm still gonna use spacehey. spacehey has changed my life in so many ways, and i'm not even exagger8ing when i say that. however, i am gonna give newspace a chance, bc i don't wanna b prejudiced abt sumthing that's not even out yet.

i understand that an of spacehey has a lot on his pl8, w the spacehey expenses and keeping up w college and stuff, so he might not have time 2 make the aforementioned features happen atm. plus, an and charlie live 2 v completely different lives. an is a college student, probably in his jr. yr (not sure), and charlie is a freshman in high school, so they have different work loads.

but i wanna know what u guys think? r u gonna use newspace when it's released? is it gonna take off? r u gonna use newspace and spacehey @ the same time? let me know.

ilusm and i'll ttyl!! bye bye!!

upd8 as of 12/4/22: the release of newspace has been delayed 2 spring 2023, as charlie is busy remaking theretrobook 2 resemble facebook c. 2007-2009. still excited 4 the release of newspace.

upd8 as of 12/23/22: the release of newspace has been pushed back 2 around january 2023 once again.

Report Topic

11 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Reala

posted

This does look pretty neat, knowing myself I'm probably gonna give it a shot when it launches but I'll keep using SpaceHey for sure because this site is clearly a passion project - it's not easy to do all this when you're in college lol.

Newspace having more features will probably be a big draw for a lot of people but I doubt everyone will outright move, I think many people will use them in tandem, as SpaceHey is very important to a lot of people and holds a special place in their hearts!

Report Reply

Reply by DogStreet_

posted

Man I'm pretty pumped about this. I love spacehey, but it's not exactly like MySpace, I hope this is a straight up carbon copy of MySpace. 

Report Reply

I just started using spacehey and am loooving it.. I think it would be cool if maybe these 2 could join forces eventually , somehow. And users could pick which gen experience they want x
I also last herd that spacehey has like 500k users :o So i wonder if the new one can really get traction just fer ppl who want that lil bit of difference.

Report Reply

Reply by jesterxjess444

posted

unrelated to the other myspace clone but ive been wanting an old facebook clone for FOREVERRR (im being dramatic but i fr love old fb so muchhh) so thank you for posting about this, and i probably will be trying out charlies myspace just for funsiez

Report Reply

Reply by Zecnetovk V.

posted
updated

MySpace clone this, MySpace clone that... mang how about an Instagram clone or based on the classic style slowly envolving(when it officially started) until a certain point before even Zuckaritasberg took over & ruined it.

Also if these two joined forces properly instead of this "I can do it better" narcissistic crybaby mindset, Spacehey definitely would be big! more efficient, have all the features we loved from MySpace & sooooo much more!!! I mean, Spacehey has over 500k users, pretty surprising indeed. 

reaction to what I have read in the forum so far

The point of all is to eventually destroy the data draining tracking ads social medias that ruined the Web in essence, this is beyond nostalgia & all of this takes time, resources & hard working dedication/passion.

Edit 1: 

forgot to add that Im going to be giving it a try to TheRetrobook regardless; Facebook was fine[meh] until a certain point, & eventually it became spammy shit with worthless algorithmically constant begging attention Notifications

Edit 2:

The Photo Album feature looks awesome, is something that is currently lacking on Spacehey. As an artist this is a great way of posting out my art as well. If only both of these people joined forces my goodness I will see this becoming a way more awesome social media.

Report Reply

Reply by theretrobook

posted

@Shell Sea I did?

Report Reply

Reply by delicious2003

posted

Spacehey has some accessibility issues, specially regarding the captcha. That captcha cannot be solved by a blind person, so I expect the developer would put alternatives such as replacing the captcha with honeypots and questions as I would did. Honeypots are input fields hidden using css.

Report Reply

Reply by GRIFFEN

posted

hey delicious2003 i dont think blind people can use any websites actually

Report Reply

Reply by xXElias_EthernetXx

posted

@GRIFFEN

Blind people can and do use the web using a type of software called a screen reader. it does what it says on the tin, reading the text on web pages aloud. This is why accessibility minded people sometimes provide detailed descriptions of images they post.

That's why the captcha are a problem, a screen reader can't discern the pictures, there's no text description of the images, and no workaround for the visually impaired.

Report Reply

Reply by ≈ MiDNiGHT WHiSPeRS ≈

posted

Is there a working irl yet? I can’t find one.

Report Reply

Reply by DogStreet_

posted

Any new updates on this?

Report Reply