« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

facebook revival c. 2004-2006

so, 1 of my spacehey besties, ~Fr@nk~, posted on his bulletins that a revival of mid-2000s facebook recently launched a couple months ago called theretrobook.

the guy who cre8ed the website is actually yunger than an of spacehey, making him only 14 yrs old, which is actually rlly surprising 2 me, since i didn't think many yung zoomers would b so invested in social networking innovation of the 2000s, as many of them literally spend their time on tiktok and instagram, 2 my understanding. so, knowing a 14-yr-old bringing back the pre-controversial facebook of the mid-aughts makes me have @ least sum hope 4 the future of the internet.

however, there is a downside 2 all of this. frank confirmed in a reply 2 a comment wondering if an and theretrobook cre8or would collabor8 since theretrobook has features that spacehey doesn't (e.g. photo albums), that the guy who founded the mid-2000s facebook revival actually made the website as a way of competing w spacehey.

ig the myspace/facebook battle of 2007-2010 might b reigniting, this time w spacehey and theretrobook. who knows?

hopefully this dude doesn't become the next mark zuckerberg, bc we have had it w that asshole, but who knows what the future will entail?

funnily enough, there's a theretrobook profile here on spacehey which i believe was cre8ed by the founder of theretrobook:

hopefully we don't witness a modern day myspace vs. facebook, that's the last thing any of us want.

ilusm and i'll ttyl!! bye bye!

Report Topic

4 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by davidrei

posted

I love it

Off the top of my head I believe I joined MySpace in July 2004 and TheFacebook in Dec 2004.

I don't mind that teenagers created a site, just don't use a password that you use anywhere else and be wary about using an email to log in that you use with anything important.

Report Reply

Reply by Didrick

posted
updated

I'm on Theretrobook and I was the one asking Frank if the creator of that site and An could collaborate in order to give Spacehey more features but it makes sense what Frank said that Theretrobook creator made his project more as a competitor to Spacehey so any collab does in fact seem unlikely. It is however, very impressive how he has built the site and made it fully functional despite his young age and I'm really liking it there so far. I'm on his Discord as well to catch news about the latest updates and to stay updated on future updates and plans for the site.

Report Reply

Reply by theretrobook

posted

I am happy to hear how you feel about the site. And if An wants to collaborate, I'm down. I just had that mindset whilst making the site in Feb 2022. Mainly because of the fact, that, honestly spacehey hurts my eyes. idk, maybe cus of the customizable profile's bright colors, or that everything is so cluttered, i don't know. All I know is that I want to make a pleasing experience for people, and users. 

+ having a myspace clone fall to a facebook clone would be HEAVILY ironic. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ashton

posted

this is really cool, thanks for sharing

Report Reply