« Movies, TV, Celebrities Forum

Elvis Film

My gf and I enjoyed the new Elvis film but here is an interesting perspective on what was glossed over to make Elvis more of a pure, slightly flawed figure... Baz Luhrmann Is Giving Us a Good, Clean Elvis for the 21st Century (jacobinmag.com)

I mentioned right after the film how I thought it would have been more of a controversy that Elvis benefitted from black culture...more than it was in the film. She says, then it would have been more of a documentary, which is not what we were watching.

The fact that Elvis's wife in the movie looked like she must have been at least 18yr, glosses over their romance starting when she was 14 yr.... but it is always super awkward to cast a young actor in those roles. 

Either way I really enjoyed the film, I just like to hear the facts as well. It had Priscilla Presley's seal of approval with a very interesting qoute,

“It was very emotional, my daughter [Lisa Marie Presley] felt the same way,” she said. “Only because he got Elvis to a T, I mean to a T. It is unbelievable what this kid did, Austin Butler. He spent two years studying about Elvis, so that was like a shock to watch. Even some of the songs. [A talent manager who worked with Elvis] Jerry Schilling sat next to me, we had a private screening, and I said, ‘Is that Elvis or is that Austin?’”

Report Topic

0 Replies