« SpaceHey Forum

Suggestion: Setting to make profile only visible to members

Posted by ThatLionLoser

posted

Forum: SpaceHey

So, I think it's wonderful that Spacehey has private profiles! I'm in a bit of a bind, though. I think looking at profiles is a great way to get to know someone a bit before adding them. That isn't possible with my profile set to private, but making my profile public is too public.

Would it be possible to implement a setting so users can choose to hide their profile from guests, while still keeping it visible to logged-in users? Is there any interest in something like that?

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ThatLionLoser

posted

NosyCat: I didn't consider that a feature like this could help prevent harassment! That's a good point.

EngiQu33ring: That's definitely a solid point too - although, my wishes for a feature like this stem from not wanting my profile cached on search engines and web archiving services. :P It's not the end of the world if that happens, as I ultimately don't share anything super personal on here (and could make my account private if I did), but being able to prevent that from happening would be a small comfort.

Report Reply

Reply by NosyCat

posted

You still couldn't share the link outside SpaceHey, which would limit harassment. And the distance between clicking a link and having to make an account, no matter how quick and easy it is, might as well be sky-high. Psych 101. I don't need it, but it could improve privacy even more.

Report Reply

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted

Given that anyone can sign up in less than two minutes, it seems like it would be a lot of work to implement and would result in very little practical change. I don't doubt that it would be possible, just that it would be like trying to hide yourself under a transparent shower curtain

Report Reply