« News and Politics Forum

Luhansk and Donetsk

so the UN denounced russia over recognizing the Luhansk People's Republic and the Donetsk People's Republic what is your opinion on that and do you think Russia is going to invade ukraine or will ukraine eventually recognize these republics?

Report Topic

14 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Corgigirl

posted

I think we need to do what we can to support Ukraine and speak against those who are supporting the "genius" Putin - wherever we can on social media. Maybe the people in Russia will see it.  Russia is bombing the people of Ukraine, taking over their airports, buildings, and will try to put their own government in place of Ukraine's.  and then who is next?

Report Reply

Reply by Johnny Lee

posted

@

Corgigirl

I'm sorry but I don't think we should censor anyone pro-russian or anti-russian it's good to hear both sides. For example a LOT and I mean a LOT of ex-warsaw pact countries and ex-soviet countries joined nato after the fall of the USSR and the purpose of NATO was to be an Ant-Soviet alliance so I'm sure you can see how russia feels threatened when nato countries are on your border and that they feel a need to retaliat. However I'm not saying russia is in the right for invading ukraine. They should've negotiated it civily instead of invading in it. Also some action taken by nato and the US definitely didn't help the situation.

Report Reply

Reply by Corgigirl

posted

Wow.  What did Ukraine do to Russia that deserves this?  Does Ukraine have a right to defend itself?  And this will make NATO stronger so - not working.

Report Reply

Reply by Johnny Lee

posted

@

Corgigirl Uh how would you like it if all your neighbors were enemies with you? like you'd be upset with them I'm sure so while I'm not saying what russia did is right it is justified imo but I do support zalensky staying with his people like a good leader

Report Reply

Reply by Corgigirl

posted

Do the Russian people think that Ukraine is their enemy?  Putin thinks everyone is an enemy (so he doesn't count). 

Report Reply

Reply by Johnny Lee

posted

corgigirl many officials in russia see ukraine as their enemy and I'm sure many soldiers do and plenty of russian people. I forget how the phrase goes but a dog's bark is louder than their bite. the people protesting may seem like they have a voice but they aren't the majority they just get the attention.

Report Reply

Reply by Corgigirl

posted

How do you know that?  

Report Reply

Reply by root

posted

Bruh Ukraine is being invaded because Putin wants power. End of statement.

Report Reply

Reply by Johnny Lee

posted

@root atleast russia doesn't suck off nato but I do respect zalensky for staying with his country like a true leader

Report Reply

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted
updated

I don't think it matters if Ukraine wanted to join NATO, they're an independent country and can have whatever diplomatic relationships they want with whoever they want.

"You can't get along with people I don't get along with" is not a justification for leading a full-on invasion of another country and potentially starting a third world war. That talking point only serves to shift the discussion away from "is Russia justified for assaulting another country?" to "what underlying tensions divide Russia and NATO?"

I think what is significantly more relevant in this discussion is that Russia is violating the incredibly clear terms they agreed to in section 2 of the Budapest Memorandum:
The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their obligation to
refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial
integrity or political independence of Ukraine, and that none of their
weapons will ever be used against Ukraine except in self-defence or
otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations.
Ukraine largely demilitarized because Russia made a commitment not to do exactly what they're doing right now. Ukraine exercised their political independence to form good relationships with other countries and was invaded, in direct violation of an agreement to make the world safer from nuclear war, because their growth and success made Russia feel threatened. There is no justification for this.

Report Reply

Reply by Johnny Lee

posted

Reply by мелочь

posted

Luhansk and Donetsk have the right to exist, im not saying its okay for putin to invade because war only hurts the working class, but Ukraine does have a far-right US puppet government, and a big nazi problem

Report Reply

Reply by Lithobius Forficatus

posted

Luhansk and Donetsk People's Republics deserve to exist and deserve help. There were years of negotiations between Russia and Ukraine, Russia and NATO and Russia and the US. I've been watching them. All these years. They weren't doing anything to stop this war, while Russia was asking them for some things. It was asking Ukraine to be neutral, it was asking NATO to stop expanding on the east, after all, it was asking Ukraine to stop shooting civilians (and people generally!) on the Donbass territory. None of that was done. People kept suffering as well as they suffer in the central Ukraine now

Report Reply

Reply by FieldMarshalP2

posted

Bit of a late response but Ukraine has a full right to defend itself.

Like another commenter said, Russia violated the Budapest memorandum.

And no I don't believe Either the LPR or the DPR have a right to exist, these were made by people who were funded by Russians, to make fake breakaway states to deliberately attack Ukrainian forces. 

Putin leads an army that will consistently tell everybody up until the week before that they will not be invading Ukraine just to invade a near week later and pull out a bunch of justifications out of his ass.

Either way you put it millions are now displaced, Hundreds of thousands are dead since 2014. And it would have not happened had Putin took care of the interest of his own country and not invade others, Chechnya, Georgia and now Ukraine. And was later revealed to have plans to invade other countries after Ukraine.

What does Russia have to gain? Even if they took eastern Ukraine they now have hundreds of miles of border to protect, If they try to put their own government in Ukraine and leave it will get overthrown. And if Ukraine is overtaken there will be massive insurgency, there’s nothing to gain other than more access to the Black Sea. People need to stop about NATO Expansion too, these countries CHOOSE to join nato. It’s not like the U.S bully countries to join, also maybe these countries wouldn’t strive to join NATO had Russia not Invade 3 countries now?  

And that nazi thing is a total bullshit justification to invade a country, and kill civilians. Alsolute BS, Putin would first have to do a thorough denazification of his own army. And people on his own payroll, like the person who owns Rusich group who are famous for inhumane warcrimes and being connected to the Wagner PMC group. There’s been U.S marines with nazi ideologies in the modern day etc. Does the U.S marines allow nazis? No, but there always will be. Same with Ukraine. The same battalion that everybody calls Nazi (Azov) has people of all ethnicities, There’s Jewish people in azov. Etc, Not even a fraction of ukraines military is Neo nazi at all, that bullshit has been put in Russian propaganda since 2014 to delegitimize Ukrainian authorities and support Russian interests. The same couldn’t be said for Russia though, He literally pays a neo Nazi personally.  Has there been nazis in azov? Well no shit but do you think Ukraine condones those men and would still have them in their ranks had they known what they were doing? No. 

Ukraine has a total right to defend itself and its territories. 

Report Reply