« Back to the Oh, The Horror! Forum

what got you into horror and when?

for me i had always been naturally drawn to horror related things and halloween has always been my favorite holiday but i guess it really picked up when i found the book scary stories to tell in the dark in my elementary school library

anyways i'd love to hear what got everyone else into horror

Report Topic

139 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Seth

posted

When I was a kid, there was this guy in my hometown named "Pug" who was like an uncle to everybody. Anytime the kids showed up in town and he was around he'd start telling us the story of "Mad Man Mars" - an axe wielding maniac stalking the Western Kentuckian woods, brutally murdering anyone who came on his land. That's what I think planted the seeds - that and looking at all the covers of the movies in the horror section at the old video rental store downtown before it shut down.

I still tell people the story of "Mad Man Mars" from time to time, gotta keep the legend alive somehow.

Report Reply

Reply by LOTUS_START

posted

as a kid, i always been fascinated by somewhat creepy games. fnaf, undertale's no mercy route, etc. what got me truly into horror were indie games that were genuinely terrifying for me to play. ib, needy streamer, yume nikki, omori, those titles made me realize that horror could be another form of exploration

Report Reply

Reply by la morena 🐰ྀི

posted

honestly, the adrenaline you get from watching your first scary movie makes you want more. It's like your first time getting on a rollercoaster, you know? 

Report Reply

Reply by Benny <3

posted

the first time we got into horror was probably back when we were kids, my mom would watch criminal minds (we know that's not horror) but it got us into all that stuff, and made us super curious, but what really started it too was resident evil the games, zombies and all that good stuff :D

Report Reply

Reply by ⛧ Acid_Witch_Baby ⛧

posted
updated

I used to be scared of them when I was little but when I got into my preteen years and started getting into makeup I started being fascinated by special effects in horror films and so I started watching more and more and watching documentaries and  reading articles on horror films to learn more about special effects in horror films, now I'm on my way to be a makeup artist and get into special effects for horror films myself! I also just really love Halloween LOL! 

Report Reply

Reply by ★ ɴɪᴋ𝟶ᴍ𝟷 ★

posted

my mom is a massive horror nerd and one day when i was a toddler she put on the bride of chucky to try and get me to shut up and shocker it worked 

Report Reply

Reply by fairyslxt

posted

It was about 5 years ago, I was watching IT with my mom and brother. At first I was really scared but then at one point I started finding some scenes funny so the whole movie just became a comedy to me. Then I just started having an obsession for horror movies for the thrills and laughd

Report Reply

Reply by EsbirroSinGenero92

posted

I think I always had a prescribed fascination with horror since from an early age I witnessed paranormal things, in addition to my early access to the internet (5 years old) where I saw nothing but disturbing horror videos (in special for such a young child)

Report Reply

Reply by Mr_Slash3r

posted

right when i turned 12 i thought ghostface looked cool, so i watched scream. it kind of evolved from there.

Report Reply

Reply by emi_361

posted

It was my mother lol. She always loved ghosts n ghouls n ghastly movies so she brought me to every horror movie with her and I loved it. Granted her taste is terrible and I'm trying to enjoy better horror movies now. Like she didn't think The Forest was good at all (yeah its not mind blowingly good lmao but I loved it still), but it didn't do terrible with audiences. But all in all, it was my mama

Report Reply

Reply by anya

posted
updated

The Blob, saw it on a 90's movie channel when I was 6. I still think it was a cool concept to make a movie about, it gives you that ick feeling.

Report Reply

Reply by hachmaxo

posted

so basically, when my mom was pregnant with me, all she watched were horror movies. i've been surrounded by horror all my life, i like the genre even more than my mom currently. she's faint-hearted. plus i had unsupervised internet access and got obsessed with creepypastas, spooky games, true crime vids, args, etc

Report Reply

Reply by KURTxTAVARES

posted

When I was 7 (back in 1999), a small mom-and-pop corner videotape store was closing down. My mom left me with the family babysitter and gave me a few dollars to go get some VHS. I purchased The Hills Have Eyes II (1985) and The Slumber Party Massacre (1984) along with far less horrible things a 7-year old could see like the original Psycho. The lady working didn't care I was young and let me buy them. So when my mom picked me up later in the day, she was shocked. Luckily, she was chill and a huge fan of scary movies so at that moment, I became a fan too. I still have those tapes too! 

Report Reply

Reply by Nix

posted

I only pretty recently got into horror, but the thing that i remember getting me into horror was seeing Cupcakes during the pandemic. Somehting i can say definitely got me into horror though, was a combination of watching Chicago Med and indie horror gameplays. mostly ManlyBadassHero

Report Reply

Reply by gooptrials

posted

i think i stumbled upon making fiends when i was a kid and was totally obsessed! from there i went to invader zim, then ruby gloom, then begged my dad to let me watch chucky :-) my love for horror grew from then on!

i know those cartoons arent exactly horror shows, but it was a good introduction to odd/creepy media for kid me!!

Report Reply

Reply by Annoying<3neko

posted

my mom was a crazy horror fan and i grew up surrounded, i was scared lmao for a long time but i think creepypastas got me into it and grew from their.

Report Reply

Reply by Annoying<3neko

posted
updated

my mom was a crazy horror fan and i grew up surrounded, i was scared lmao for a long time but i think creepypastas got me into it and grew from there

Report Reply

Reply by RANDAL VI IVORY

posted

i think the earliest i remember is some gothic childrens book abt the spider and the fly…. when i RLLLY got into it was 5th/6th grade thankz to r/nosleep 

Report Reply

Reply by JustaVirginSuicide

posted

I don't know the exact thing that got me into horror but I just always remember being so inrigued on why people did what they did. I think creepy pasta really stared it for me

Report Reply

Reply by Kaelus

posted

I think the thing that got me into horror were those ghost hunting shows in Discovery channel I used to watch when I was like 9 years

Report Reply

Reply by Lilo

posted

I grew up as the youngest so I was exposed to a lot of horror media such as the left 4 dead franchise and I am Legend. But my love for horror really started when I played the resident evil games :))

Report Reply

Reply by encephalopathy

posted

My granny would always tell me her own horror stories growing up, which sparked my fascination with all things macabre. But it really kicked off when I convinced my parents to let me watch The Shining when I was 11 - ever since then, I was completely obsessed with the genre. 

Report Reply

Reply by collen

posted

horror has always given me different emotions, ever since i saw chuky at an age too young to sincerely appreciate it. as a teenager, evil dead took me by surprise and i fell in love with horror, chainsaws and shotguns, and dungeons and survival horror and

Report Reply

at a sleepover when i was 8 we found a childs play dvd and watched it. up until i was 10 i would watch horror movie scenes on youtube.

Report Reply

Reply by Arcadia

posted

My mom and dad got me into horror movies from a young age. I got used to them and I don't get scared that easy.

Report Reply

Reply by RockstarrrLiaaa

posted

My grandad got me into horror movies at a every young age maybe 6 ever since then i loved classic horror films like Scream or Friday the 13th and even scarier movies.

Report Reply

Reply by ⊹ ࣪ ˖ elizabeth

posted

I guess my entryway to horror was the film Pet Semetary. (The old one, not the remake) I live with a family that didn't care if you were a toddler walking around the house, they would put the tv on full blast even while watching horror and in some cases slasher films when I was a kid. So very early on I had been exposed to alot of early 2000s horror films and horror series but the one I remembered the most was Pet Semetary because I watched it the night before my dog died. 

Report Reply

Reply by scarlet 𖦹⋆。˚

posted

My Johnny Depp obsession in 2021. He's in nightmare on elm Street so I watch that and then watched a lot more horror after that

Report Reply

Reply by Leo Draven

posted

Starting off my horror journey, definitelygot into the spooky stuff with HalloweenTown and Scary Godmother (i was rlly young). 

During my preteen years, i was definitely obsessed with 90s horror (The Craft, Scream, Final Destination, Friday the 13th & Nightmare on elm street[technicallly the 80s]).

Now i get rlly into psychological horrors ngl. Recently just watched Malevolent. Solid 8/10 could've thickened the plot a little but definitely recommend if you like a good plot twist. 

Report Reply

Reply by Dr. Roe

posted

Child's Play

Report Reply

Reply by Megs

posted

Honestly not a big fan of horror movies and my best friend at the time wanted to change that. So he made me watch halloween, scream, hell fest, friday the 13th and texas chainsaw. So now i'm slowing getting into horror. Theirs still a couple of movies I REFUSE to watch tho lol

Report Reply

Reply by andy-matronic 🍉

posted

This isn't quite "horror", more thriller. But the first "scary" movie I watched was Spree. I only watched it because Joe Keery was in it, but it ended up being one of my favorites! That and Coraline lol.

Report Reply

Reply by ★Briar★

posted

When I was like 3, I watched Nightmare Before Christmas and I'm now a horror fan lol

Report Reply

Reply by ★Briar★

posted

When I was like 3, I watched Nightmare Before Christmas and I'm now a horror fan lol

Report Reply

Reply by Lis

posted

Ive always been a fan of weird stuff and creepypastas so im not quite sure when i got into horror movies. but what i do know is that whenever i have a free time or a week off i watch through day and night!

Report Reply

Reply by 0l1v3r-1s a l0nl3y-gh0st

posted

Cuando tenia 5 años un primo me mostro un cortometraje gore y de hay me comenzo a interesrar el terror y lo demas ademas de generar un trauma por ello lol aun asi lo veia en series y peliculas la primer serie que vi para iniciar en esto fue happy tree friends sorry is in spanish

Report Reply

Reply by kay 🩷

posted

my father, he was locked up when i was younger and whenever i went to visit him he showed me the horror dvds

Report Reply

Reply by ChocoLeite

posted

The strange and the unusual, I guess, I was a really scaredy cat when i was a child but still interested in horror stuff, after i started getting older I started losing that fear I had (and started watching horror movies for real), and as a teen it basically took control lol.

Report Reply

Reply by xxriotgurlxx

posted

For sure seeing the trailer for the ring as a tiny person and being scared that just from watching the commercial I would be dead in a week

Report Reply

Reply by *.°•angie/🎸\salem•°.*

posted

so right before school started, (so like, the end of august) i had a sleepover at my grandparents house which is where my aunt still lives. my aunt was like, “hey, you’re old enough to watch scary things, wanna watch scream?” and i was like, “sure, i’ll give it a go.” i watched it and was a little queasy at first with all the guts n stuff, but grew to love it. now, i absolutely LOVE the scream franchise and im on the 4th movie :) i haven’t seen many horror films, but plan to watch many more. i just haven’t seen many bcz im just not much of a movie person lol

Report Reply

Reply by *.°•angie/🎸\salem•°.*

posted

so right before school started, (so like, the end of august) i had a sleepover at my grandparents house which is where my aunt still lives. my aunt was like, “hey, you’re old enough to watch scary things, wanna watch scream?” and i was like, “sure, i’ll give it a go.” i watched it and was a little queasy at first with all the guts n stuff, but grew to love it. now, i absolutely LOVE the scream franchise and im on the 4th movie :) i haven’t seen many horror films, but plan to watch many more. i just haven’t seen many bcz im just not much of a movie person lol

Report Reply

Reply by Yush ☆

posted

Grew up watching playthroughs of horror games and also because of creepypasta stories (which now that i look back on aren’t actually that good lol) 

Report Reply

Reply by ★ ɴɪᴋ𝟶ᴍ𝟷 ★

posted

i came out the womb in love with horror 

my mother has always been a horror and metal fan so her favorite story to tell is how she put on a movie to try and get me to settle down and it worked; the movie being the bride of chucky 

Report Reply

Reply by (๑ > ᴗ < ๑) lydia ⋆˚🍥˖°

posted

i've kind of always been into spooky stuff but i'd say probably when i 7 and started read creepypastas/horror stories and watching paranormal footage so i guess that evolved into liking horror movies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Report Reply

Reply by Juan

posted

October 31sr, 2021. I never cared for horror until that day when I decided to give A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) before that I had seen a few slasher films but none of them scared them some were pretty bad, so i had very low expectations but had always been curious because of the idea of killing in dreams and making it happen in real life. I was fascinated by the movie up until the very ambiguous ending, nevertheless, I enjoyed it and kept looking for the same excitement I got from that movie in other slashers and then other movies.

Report Reply

Reply by caihong

posted

i was scared of them when i was younger but as i got older they were so cool

Report Reply

Reply by Kitsune

posted

i use to see movies with my father 

Report Reply

Reply by 🎸 ☆⋆。🎧

posted

i was like 5 and my mom would let me watch the 2007 halloween with her the one rob zombie made and like idk ive been interested since

Report Reply

Reply by bunbugs

posted

my grandmother said she was watching chucky with me when i was about 1 years old and apparently i was laughing and smiling through the whole thing, BUT that i could remember personally was always going to the scary story section in libraries in elementary and stuff so since i was a toddler i guess

Report Reply

Reply by jabber

posted

my parents love horror so it was just the genre I grew up watching. I would probably say Scooby Doo, though

Report Reply