« Music Forum

Where do YOU go when you are looking for new music?

Posted by Scarecrow Joe

posted
updated

Forum: Music

I’m just curious, I personally watch get a lot of my music news through Obscura Undead on YouTube but I’m biased since I do write for them. (Btw they focus on goth rock, postpunk, and dark wave.)

Link: https://youtu.be/SPEHf5mM2zY

I do use Spotify and Bandcamp but I’m curious if I’m missing out on other good sources.

Report Topic

99 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Arth__

posted

I use yt, if you use an acc just for music you can get some really good obscure recs!!

Report Reply

Reply by Isa

posted

gta games

Report Reply

Reply by MARZ!!

posted

well I just look up playlists of bands or just my genre/style and I'll learn songs from there :P

Report Reply

Reply by Abby

posted

it's a mix of browsing discogs endlessly, occasionally finding some oddity on soulseek (this is uncommon for me though), and recently i've been adding random stuff from the rateyourmusic charts to my wishlist. every now and then one of my friends or my partner will recommend me something though

Report Reply

Reply by ⋆୨୧RingosCarr⋆୨୧

posted

There's a local charity shop that does sick deals on vinyl singles. like £1.50 per single. So sometimes i rummage there :).

I never take recommendations from FRIENDS irl because my music taste is a bit hard to pin if you ignore the Beatles being my top artists of all time lol . but old people have good recommendations

-- RingosCarr ⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧⋆ ˚。⋆

Report Reply

Reply by Mate

posted

I usually just go through spotify and either look at the new releases, sift through the similar artists and see where i can go from point a to point b, or see whats trending in other countries, recently I've just been listening through their daylist playlists cause theres a lot of new stuff I havent heard before but its all similar to my music tastes... and it does change frequently

Or I go through youtube. Some albums just show up on my homepage and if it looks interesting enough I'll just listen to it and explore from there. 

Report Reply

Reply by Kanon

posted

last.fm helps a lot in that situation

Report Reply

Reply by JohnsStuff

posted

SEARCH UP  LOST MEDIA SOGS FOUND CUZ THEY ALWAYS BANGERS. U AGREE? OR NOT?xd

Report Reply

Reply by Rainmaker01

posted

Mostly youtube and then spotify.

Report Reply

Reply by roup

posted

EI go to Spotify and put it on a band that I'm curious to listen to and start listening to the songs at random and if I'm interested in the songs I'll look for them on YouTube later 

Report Reply

Reply by ritzy

posted

i didnt realise this was three years ago HAAAHAAHA

Report Reply

Reply by ritzy

posted

youtube, musi, thrift store cds and cheap ass secondhand record stores are all good

Report Reply

Reply by vic_zombi3

posted

cant even lie. youtube autoplay. i put on a song i like, turn on autoplay, and just add songs from there. sometimes the "mix" playlists youtube makes have rlly good recos 2!! youtube helped me discover literally my favorite bands although i will say it takes a while to get to more obscure bands at first but patience is key.

Report Reply

Reply by straberryice

posted

Personalmente spotify suele recomendarme playlist basandose en mis gustos musicales, perooo siempre encontrare buena musica en lo mas escondido de youtube, ya sea por alguna animacion, trailer, edit, o simplemente recomendacion de youtube a horas absurdas de la madrugada 

°v°

Report Reply

Reply by ellie <3

posted

normally my daylist on spotify :)

Report Reply

Reply by Moscow

posted

Me personally either Youtube or Stats.fm since spotify made playlists are dogshit 

Report Reply

Reply by JoppingBen10Fan

posted

For me it's usually Pop Crave/Pop Base and Mediabase, as the latter doesn't just help me keep up with new music, it also helps me keep up with which songs are rising on radio especially because I have to consider songs to add to my stations.

Report Reply

Reply by yukari

posted

vk.gy, monochrome heaven, and jrockone, they're more for visual kei/jrock/jmetal bands but i've discovered so much from these sites! also vk.gy has another url that is jrock.gy for some reason... 

Report Reply

Reply by 𝔅𝔢𝔩𝔩𝔞 𝔒𝔡𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔞

posted
updated

I go all over: 

-random mixtape sites 
-bandcamp
-spotify/forgotify,
-random soundcloud playlists
-last.fm
-discovernu.co

I'll also comb through random college radio playlists on archive.org, go to local venues, buy CDs from artists no one has ever heard of from the local record store, or dollar tree, secretly (don't ask) go through my sister's youtube playlist of lesser known 80s/vaporwave/indie video game music, and occasionally google an obscure movie to look up the song I liked in it. 

Report Reply

Reply by Raddix Iznt REAL!!!

posted

My local venue!

Report Reply

Reply by sp1rit_crush3r

posted

this is a super fun question !!! I usually go down spotify rabbit holes. following through artists I like and their 'listeners also like' panel, I've found so many bands this way. Also the metal archives is a good place for band hunting, as a metalhead. I've also discovered a bunch of bands by visiting record stores !! my record store has an entire black metal section which I think is really cool :0

Report Reply

Reply by (=^-ω-^=) <3

posted

I find new music through the website Every Noise at Once :D

There's so many genres and artists on there I've never even heard of before you guys should definitely check it out!!! :3

Report Reply

Reply by Tz

posted

I find so much music because of Youtube Autoplay. When you use Youtube Music, if you allow it, autoplay will just start playing stuff after your queue finishes playing. It literally reads my mind sometimes and keeps whatever vibe I had queued up. It also gives me a bunch of new music to hear all the time. I got into 70s Latin music because youtube kept autoplaying absolute bangers. 

Link to that Latin playlist if anyone is interested:  https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSCqKDbsmFAzwqurVWhIyFjW8sosfOJah&si=oDCfRoOFjG8yj82W 

Also something that is less algorithmically curated is having a network of music lovers constantly showing me music. I play drums mainly so people are constantly sending me stuff to try to learn or just beats. My close friends don't have the same tastes as I do so I get to hear lots of really kool stuff I had never heard before. I also do the same for them. It is kinda like show and tell where I show them a few songs or an album and they do the same, which all helps me broaden my music taste. 

Report Reply

Reply by BONEMACH1NE

posted

usually i look at what spotify reccomends me or i go on last fm and listen to "similar songs" or just randomly click a song off someones playlist.

Report Reply

Reply by mattis

posted

honestly i just search up random words and go onto public playlists on spotify

Report Reply

Reply by wednesdaytoo

posted

combination of spotify radios, last.fm & bandcamp recs, recommendations from friends, and sometimes music blogspots :)

and of course the occasional "buy a random cheap record with an intriguing cover"

Report Reply

Reply by Sel

posted

I know and recognized a lot of bands but haven't listened to most of them. I will listen to one of their songs and if I like it I will put more songs in my playlist and see if I'll like it. 

Report Reply

Reply by XxipodxkittyxX

posted

tbh I just go on youtube, listen to my usual stuff and let the recs take over :P

Report Reply

Reply by lee

posted

i keep a list of albums i've been meaning to listen to. i usually find new music by word of mouth or by looking at other peoples' last.fm pages and picking out whatever sounds interesting to me.

Report Reply

LOL, for me it's youtube, or pandora. or spotify just depends..  mainly youtube though

Report Reply

Reply by kakaabama

posted
updated

I often download music at the website: https://ringkk.com/

Report Reply

Reply by Yung Zami

posted

I check 2 places for new stuff.

-RateYourMusic

RYM has always been a big source for me, since I discovered a lot of genres thanks to it.
I would've never known about genres like "Sigilkore" or "Orbcore" if it wasn't for RYM.

-Discover Quickly

Discover Quickly is a site where you connect your Spotify to and you can choose to either give you a random artist or genre, and for anyone who samples, it's also a good spot to look for samples.

Report Reply

Reply by M1k3y

posted

My mother. She knows every band ever it’s insane

Report Reply

Reply by Julie

posted

New music usually finds its way to me through whatever shows up on my Spotify radio

Report Reply

Reply by D20dicing

posted

I use Apple Music, and go to my fav bands influences!!

Report Reply

Reply by V

posted

Tiktok, spotify, YouTube, tumblr, & spacehey.

Report Reply

Reply by ☆dakota☆

posted

usually i just take the reccommended songs under spotify playlist and then listen to those cuz honestly spotify recognizes my music taste a little too well..

Report Reply

Reply by Alex

posted

i spend hours digging through youtube, starting with music i like, and just going through the reccomendations until something akin to new stuff starts popping up. it takes HOURS and you sometimes just wont find anything or or wont work. but you can usually find some good stuff outta it. also i like to sift through what soundcloud reccomends to me. i dont like a lot of it though. wouldnt reccomend that

Report Reply

Reply by Hobo

posted

You gotta look around EVERYWHERE.

I use LastFm recommendations; I watch random youtube videos about obscure songs or bands or genres I wanna learn about; spotify recommendations are alright too; I ask my friends if they wanna suggest anything; I go on random forums and a lot more, it takes time to find awesome good music but it's super worth, I love listening to new albums and bands/artists

Report Reply

Reply by Toddlet

posted

I use discoverquickly.com. It's a website that connects to your spotify account and plays you ~30 second snippet of the song you hover your cursor over. Clicking on a song and then clicking "recommend songs based on this" gives you a wide variety of songs in neighboring genres! (and it works pretty well if you're like me and get bored/impatient quickly and don't feel like listening to the full 3-5 minutes of a song). It lets you do this with your playlists, other people's playlists, discover weekly, etc. I highly recommend it for spotify users! The only downside is that it's not available on mobile.

Report Reply

Reply by Jesse

posted

YouTube and Reddit are probably my two main sources for finding new music.

Report Reply

Reply by Illford

posted

Sometimes i just let soundcloud recommendations run, sometimes i use the spotify discover weekly, sometimes i just ask freinds or see what they've cooked up.

Report Reply

Reply by jonathan

posted

to be so real i will usually play a song and then spotify will just play songs after that, and quite a few times i've new songs and artists i rlly like

Report Reply

Reply by Em

posted

I think this is an unpopular opinion but Spotify sucks if you don’t have money and sure they give you playlists they recommend for you but I don’t really like any of them.

That’s why I use YouTube I mean it’s just better and if you listen Song after song after song for a long time the adds kinda just fade into the background and you  barely remember when was the last time you saw an add. But that’s not my answer tho

TikTok is where I find all the new songs , edits , Spotify lyrics vids, background noise, dance vids and they just hit different in Tiktok   

Report Reply

Reply by Nai >w< !!

posted

Youtube for sure , always !

Report Reply

Reply by AC1D

posted

spotify genre playlists, then i just pick my favorites out of that

Report Reply

Reply by Kioku-chan ♡♪

posted

sometimes i browse random playlists on spotify or recently i find cool songs on tik tok  

Report Reply

Reply by scure

posted

def spotify, tiktok, insta etc. soundcloud is good too!

Report Reply

Reply by decapitated.corpse

posted

what i do is look through my favorite artists wikipedia page to find bands / projects they were previously in and just give those a listen, usually the music is similar but still refreshing. its so random but honestly i've found pretty good stuff lmao 

Report Reply

Reply by ben

posted

i just look at the crap spotify wants me to listen to

Report Reply