« Music Forum

Where do YOU go when you are looking for new music?

Posted by Scarecrow Joe

posted
updated

Forum: Music

I’m just curious, I personally watch get a lot of my music news through Obscura Undead on YouTube but I’m biased since I do write for them. (Btw they focus on goth rock, postpunk, and dark wave.)

Link: https://youtu.be/SPEHf5mM2zY

I do use Spotify and Bandcamp but I’m curious if I’m missing out on other good sources.

Report Topic

98 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Scarecrow Joe

posted

@tolove3mily thank you!!

Report Reply

Reply by matthewwb

posted

honest to god Spotify discover weekly finds me so much cool shit to listen to that I don't need to go anywhere else. I actually stopped listening to it regularly because I was starting to have too many things to check out lol. I found some of my favorite music ever on there. I recommend it if you haven't been checking it out every week. 

Report Reply

Reply by Steve Dandelion

posted

Usually either Bandcamp or the record store

Report Reply

Reply by Cashlin

posted

i have been getting more into bandcamp lately. i used to use music blogs on blogspot a SHITLOAD 

Report Reply

Reply by scourgu!

posted

my youtube mix is usually good enough

Report Reply

Reply by Wolf Ugly

posted

Definitely love the Spotify mixes,  but I also find most of my new music by hanging with other local bands.

Just getting out playing shows with new bands has found my newest favorite music.

Report Reply

Reply by ayuxx

posted

I follow quite a few labels and music publication sites on social media. I also occasionally pick up stuff from other people's last.fm profiles.

Report Reply

Reply by XxShaneAgainstxX

posted

The best places I have found have come through my d

Weekly discovery on Spotify. 

One of the bands I’m big on came to me that way. They popped up a few times on there, and I was like okay I’ll buy..,

Report Reply

Reply by Phantom Elijah Black

posted

I'm usually very picky about my music, but when I see someone on TikTok talking about a certain musician/artist and it sticks out to me, I'll give them a listen. 

Report Reply

Reply by Tyler Gray

posted

spotify weekly or even the daily mixes 

Report Reply

Reply by gutsfordinner

posted

Lastfm and Rateyourmusic

Report Reply

Reply by Mikayla <3

posted

My method is pretty boring, I search up my favorite songs on YouTube and I go through the recommended until I find new good songs. It’s a cycle at this point.  

Report Reply

Reply by 0tt0 :3

posted

i use a website called every noise at once!! what ill do is look up one of my favorite artists, click one of their genres and go through whatever artists also come up and listen to snippets of their most popular songs!!

Report Reply

Reply by spirit!

posted

i either go onto dismiss yourself or ambiance for consistently good experimental and drum and bass uploads

Report Reply

Reply by afraidofthedark

posted

either random youtube recomendations or shit i come across on twitter or sc..

you know the music is gonna b insane if the person who made it is followed by a follower of a follower

Report Reply

Reply by colonopenbracket

posted

youtube is a good resource. i search for albums i already like then look at the channel that uploaded the album and check out the rest of their uploads. 

I also find blogspots by googling (insert artist here - insert album i like blogspot) all the download links are usually dead but you still get names of artists and albums to look for.

Report Reply

Reply by Votera Binicci

posted

Whatever Spotify recommends me. Sometimes this ends up being to a remix by an artist I already listen to, which leads me to looking at the original artist. That's how I came to know of ESA (Electronic Substance Abuse), White Void, and Pure Obsessions & Red Nights. 

Report Reply

Reply by Lucian

posted

soundcloud, youtube, bandcamp, last.fm recommendations, spotify & music channels in discord 

Report Reply

Reply by not_lain

posted

i usually browse and listen to music on youtube so whatever the algorithms wants me to hear im kinda up for it, depends if i'll like it or not is up for debate lol

if i wanna find specific bands/artists i might visit some database sites that archives bands/artists with tags on them so i can easily find music im looking for

Report Reply

Reply by madmaxxx

posted

whenever im in a rut I like going to smaller local shows or collectives and going through my friends playlists/library

Report Reply

Reply by j0nd4mus1c14n

posted

I get mine through Spotify and YouTube recommendations, although I sometimes find bands while researching about music genres.

Report Reply

Reply by M1k3y

posted

Musicals most of the time now I used to just ask my friends 

Report Reply

Reply by uraniumraccoon53

posted

spotify lol

Report Reply

Reply by renatrasdul

posted

bandcamp,soundcloud,or rateyourmusic charts for a genre I like

Report Reply

Reply by kieran

posted

I use Rateyourmusic. Great community. ive discovered a lot of great underground stuff from there

Report Reply

Reply by bug

posted

i ask my Alexa to play songs like another song i like “Alexa, play songs like *insert song here *

Report Reply

Reply by ANASTASIA!! ^_^

posted

even tho i absolutely despise rateyourmusic, its pretty damn good for finding diy bands which are fuckin rad. i also just check whatever my fav artist post on twitter :P

(i will use this to shill my favorite fuckin band, stomach book, its like my chemical romance if you put it in a deep fryer and trans)

Report Reply

Reply by dgtlcam

posted

pandora is rlly good for finding music, its an underrated way of finding music imo lol but ive found some rlly good finds on there

Report Reply

Reply by Scarecrow Joe

posted

Thank you for all the great replies so far!

Report Reply

Reply by M1k3y

posted

I just get it from my daily mixes or friends 

Report Reply

Reply by fionnuala

posted

hmm mostly just my socials? like yt and tiktok. sometimes spotify has some good stuff on the "based off your recent listening". also recommendations from friends, i guess

Report Reply

Reply by xXkf100Xx

posted

i dont listen to new music! nowadays its justin bieber, rebecca black, skrillex, and nicky manage!
i listen to older artists from the early 90s - mid 2000s

Report Reply

Reply by Lyra

posted

i mainly use rym when i look for new music, it's just so easy to find things there in my experience. lots of the music i rlly like now was music i found on rym

Report Reply

Reply by FluffyMetal

posted

I listen music on spotify and youtube. When I want something new to listen, I check what spotify is recommending to me. 

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

Typically, I'll use YouTube to discover new songs and if I like the song, I'll use a YouTube to MP3 converter and then download that song onto my Sandisk Clip Jam MP3 player.

Report Reply

Reply by Scarecrow Joe

posted

I have honestly not heard of some of these things before!  Again thank you for all the great replies so far!

Report Reply

Reply by allister

posted

i either just look for cool playlists on spotify or find stuff on youtube (or i bully my dad into recommending stuff)

Report Reply

Reply by becca

posted

theres this kid who makes music who ive been listening to a lot recently, elliott fullam. theres this youtube channel hes on too called "little punk people" where he used to do a lot of album recommendations or going through band shirts he owns, recently ive just been going through those videos and listening to everything he recommends.

he mainly talks about metal, punk and indie music, which are my favourite genres which is probably why i enjoy so many of the albums hes spoken about.

Report Reply

Reply by x.{finn}.x

posted
updated

my list of over 300 bands I've collected the names of over watching videos about emo myspace bands, dubstep and from going on archives of emo band myspace pages (bands i already listen to). i usually find tours that happened with similar music. a bit of stpotify too bc you can look up a song and see a playlist with that song and many others like it. i go on DeviantArt and pinterest and find emo people and look at the shirts they wear which are usually band tshirts. fully immerse myself with the emo youtubers from back in the day. and lastly just keep clicking youtube recommendation songs on songs i like. Oo and i almost forgot to include every noise at once xD

Report Reply

Reply by Vincent Evans🍉

posted

Music blogs, MySpace, Deezer, Tidal, Discogs, Discography, Bandcamp, Apple Music, Spotify, Musicbrainz, Genus, SoundCloud. 

Really anything I can get my hands on

Report Reply

Reply by H I M E

posted

I get a lot of music from short videos on the net, Coubs and such. I'm also subscribed to several YouTube channels that solely produce music, so I have a constant influx of new tunes.

But it's also fun to find a strangely named playlist on YouTube and just let it play; playlists like "POV: you've realized you were the villain the whole time" or "peach vibes" or "you were raised by the internet hyperpop".

It helps that my taste in music is all over the place.

Report Reply

Reply by jaedawg

posted

honestly just go to the playlists spotify makes for me like discover weekly. or for me since i like metal and rock stuff, i go on the numetal and 90's rock playlists that spotify makes. other times i just go from bands i already listen to and try to find some similar to them through tiktoks or other apps like youtube or jus spotify again (pretty boring but easy)

Report Reply

Reply by adam

posted

one of my friends used to be a goth (still listens to the music), and since i like stuff in that same vein, she's always giving me recommendations of new artists and bands to listen to. 

Report Reply

Reply by Shox

posted

for metal i go on metal archives but for other genres i use last fm and bandcamp

Report Reply

Reply by STEEL

posted

discogs probably. esp if im looking for a specific genre, ect. its pretty easy to navigate and has a *decent* sorting system

Report Reply

Reply by metalphobic

posted

well i mostly check what spotify got for me (like the private playlists they make for you) or just ask people for recommendation

Report Reply

Reply by Kai

posted

My friends 100%

Also just going into spotify and looking for a playlist with your favorite artist (made by a user not by spotify) and oftentimes they'll have one or several other artists mixed in

Report Reply

Reply by Jada

posted

Bandcamp, sometimes I go on the ameboa website and choose a random vinyl and give that a listen.

Report Reply

Reply by ben

posted

i just look at the crap spotify wants me to listen to

Report Reply