« News and Politics Forum

Inside MeWe, Where Anti-Vaxxers and Conspiracy Theorists Thrive

#OlderArticles.

+  Inside MeWe, Where Anti-Vaxxers and Conspiracy Theorists Thrive

What would social media look like without all the oversight?

EJ DICKSON

MAY 23, 2019 6:58AM EDT

Last month, Sheila McNallen posted that her husband, Steve, had been kicked off of Facebook, “apparently forever.” Steve is the founder of the ÁsatrĂș Folk Assembly, a group headquartered in California that advocates for a return to Germanic Paganism, including an espousal of what they have deemed traditional, Nordic white values. The Asatru Folk Assembly has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, and in one YouTube video with more than 30,000 views, McNallen enumerates his theories on race, point by point, including his belief that racial differences are inherent to biology and his desire to defend the white race against “numerous threats to our future.” “I will fight for my race, primarily with words and ideas, but I will fight more literally if I have to,” he vows.

Related

Facebook Bans InfoWars, Louis Farrakhan, Laura Loomer, Milo Yiannopoulos, More

Trump Unleashes Tweetstorm Defending White Nationalists Booted From Facebook

In the 36 comments on Sheila McNallen’s post, Facebook users sympathized with the McNallens’ plight, grousing over Facebook’s recent crackdown on white supremacists and sharing various platforms that would be more receptive to people who share his views. “Please look at MeWe,” one user wrote. “Many are heading over there.”

(more)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/mewe-anti-vaxxers-conspiracy-theorists-822746/amp/

Report Topic

0 Replies