« Dreams and the Supernatural Forum

Sleep Paralysis

I've suffered from this for as long as I can remember and it's almost nightly. It's lowered to about 2 times a week but I think it's caused by my anxiety levels because it's always coupled with an anxiety attack. Anyone else suffer from this regularly or at all?

Report Topic

41 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ChrissyG

posted

What happens when you experience this?

Report Reply

What happens is I can't move, due to the anxiety attack it's also extremely hard for me to breath. When this occurs your body is awake but your brain is still asleep and dreaming (having nightmates/nightterrors) and sometimes the dream can continue right in front of you until your brain wakes up.

The last one I had, I was dreaming two men came into my room through my window and over my sleeping fiancΓ© and I. In the dream I tried to wake him up but he wouldn't. My room is tiny so it was odd that the men were looking around without seeing us right away. When I woke up they were still there and they had finally landed their eyes on me.

It was terrifying until I was finally able to move, although my anxiety attack took a bit longer to subside.

Report Reply

Reply by ChrissyG

posted

This is very interesting, I have never heard it explained this way before!

Report Reply

Reply by ChrissyG

posted

you sure it a dream and not a veil lifted?

Report Reply

That is a big possibility too, if so, it happens often and has throughout my life. I am a high-sensitive empath so that could be a factor.

Report Reply

Reply by ChrissyG

posted

I think it falls along more of those lines as opposed to sleep paralysis

Report Reply

Reply by LuckyRedAsian

posted

My sleep paralysis started like a decade ago in the summer time. I left the TV on and my body went to sleep but my mind was awake. My lord was it pretty scary. I couldn't make a sound and it was between dreaming and wakefulness. Sleep paralysis, some people say is linked to astral projection or lucid dreaming.

I haven't had sleep paralysis for about a year since I left my previous place I was living at.

Best advice, don't panic because it will make you prone to be in fight or flight situation. Best thing is to breathe calmly and you will wake up

Report Reply

Reply by Kaelyn

posted

I got this everynight when i was little. I still do but less often.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by Shelby Lynn

posted

I just recently started having these kind of dreams where I cant move and feel like I'm choking or cant breath its scares the crap out of me and feels so real

Report Reply

I grew up suffering from this, first experience was when I was about 6 or 7 all the way until my mid 20's. I realized that how I felt during the day had a lot to do with how bad it was at night, I realized that by fearing it was only feeding it. After my 3rd near death experience I became way more spiritual and picked my path, the path of light, the path of the yin yang and since then it stopped. I still remember the immobilizing feeling, I also noticed that during the episode I could move my eyes and I managed to move my fingers a bit, I created a cross with my index and thumb while paralyzed and that helped a bit. Many blessings and I hope everything is well with you πŸ™πŸ’œ

Report Reply

Reply by electroslag.ttv

posted

When I was a teenager I used to suffer from this a lot.Β 

Nowadays, it only happens if my sleep schedule is super wack.Β 

I found that not letting myself nap ever is the only thing that really prevents it for me.

Report Reply

Reply by Mr. タラデガ Claxton

posted

I used to A LOT about a decade ago. I'd like to chalk it up to being in an uncomfortable sleeping situation. If you can afford it? I'd recommend a new bed. If not? I'd recommend getting some melatonin WITH CBD in it. Take it, make sure you have 8 hours of sleep available, and stop looking at your phone or any screens giving blue light 30 minutes before bed. If you can't find time to do it at least try to commit to it for like a week? Minimum 5 days? Sleep is mad important even if you have to take the melatonin with cbd in it.Β 

I used to have sleep paralysis sooooooo damn much though. Probably as frequent as you're having. It got weird and annoying. To the point that I started training my eyes to close on their own because I'd start seeing things that weren't there. Freakiest time was when I saw a friend dancing in my doorway. Then I was trying to figure out how he got in my house only to remember he moved hours away a week before that. I called him later that day and described his whole outfit. He was wearing that SAME outfit. He's not the type to fuck with me like that and I could hear how weirded out he was when I described the outfit he was wearing and he was 6 hours away.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by ToriElectra

posted

I'm not entirely sure if this qualifies as sleep paralysis, but sometimes, right as I'm drifting off to sleep, my mind will somehow become aware of it. When that happens, my panic instincts kick in and I start fighting to become conscious again. It's like I'm swimming through really thick layers of sleep to get enough control over my body to the point I can move my limbs and open my eyes. It's freaky as hell.

Report Reply

Reply by Ellyist

posted

I used to have episodes of sleep paralysis occasionally, but not as often as that...and I haven't had them in a while. I suppose it would help if you at least try to fall asleep in what feels like a "defensible" position (especially if sleep paralysis comes with half-dreams), or to put something in your line of vision that helps you feel safe and comfortable. For me, it was my parent's friend's painting of a seashore that hung in my room.Β 

I've heard that, if you're in the middle of a sleep paralysis episode that you don't want to be in...because there are some people who've said that they actually enjoy the experience because it's odd and interesting, so it doesn't bother them too much because they know it goes away...then trying to move a finger or a toe, or breathing as hard as you can, should wake you up. I don't know how to prevent it, sadly...adding or cutting out melatonin? Adding or cutting out caffeine? Adding or cutting out foods that are high in tryptophan? Blackout curtains because light cues from even artificial lights can mess with the circadian rhythm?Β 

Report Reply

Reply by x_stacey_x

posted

I had my first experience with it when I was around 19 and living at my nan's house. I saw a man come into the room and then he tried to strangle me. I'm putting it down to going through a stressful time.Β 

It didn't happen again until my mid 20s up until a couple of years ago, I've put it down to having PTSD from an abusive relationship, since I've had therapy for it, I haven't had any sleep paralysis or anything.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by SednaWoo

posted

It used to happen when I was a teen but now I only experience it once or twice a year.Β  The past few times i've had it I dream that someone has broken into my front door and then comes into my house and then I wake up (but not really) and the person walks through my bedroom door.Β  I'm paralyzed and I try to scream but I can't.Β  The person will slowly stab me or strangle me or something not good until I can wake the rest of the way up and then I fly out of bed swinging my fists at air.Β  Usually it's a big guy in a heavy coat but last time it was a thin older woman that seemed to be tweaking out.Β  She shredded the door with claws and then she wanted to rip me apart while I was in bed.Β  No fun at all.Β  I recorded a telling of a couple other instances for youtube and if you want to watch that, you can find the link here.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by Chris

posted
updated

Thankfully, I haven't had sleep paralysis in a while. My first episode of sleep paralysis came in 2006. I couldn't move, talk and felt like I couldn't breathe. I tried as hard as I could to yell out for help but couldn't get a word to come out of my mouth.

I then saw a shadow walk in my bedroom and slowly walk towards me. It was the most horrifying experience of my life. I said some prayers in my mind and broke free.

I had episodes of it on and off over the years, mostly when studying paranormal stuff online or watching paranormal programming on TV.
I once had a shadow strangle me and thrust me violently back and forth. Another time I felt hundreds of pins and needles stabbing my entire body.

In all the times I encountered this, I was always sleeping on my back. I find sleeping on my side helps prevent episodes of sleep paralysis.

I believe sleep paralysis is a demonic attack. If you ever find yourself in a state of sleep paralysis, pray the following prayer in your mind.

'Our Father who art in Heaven,Β 
Hallowed by Thy Name,
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done,Β 
On Earth as it is in Heaven,Β 
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our tresspasses,
As we forgive those who tresspass against us,
And lead us not into temptation
BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL
Amen.'

If all else fails, mentally cry out the name of JESUS CHRIST for help. There is POWER in the name of Jesus!

You need to have a strong Spiritual relationship with God to combat this. Study the Bible and get a prayer life with God.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by MK

posted

sounds terrifying,

i’ve only ever had it once, about three days ago i got it for the first time.Β 
it’s pretty unsettling

Report Reply

Reply by Elohimless πŸ€˜πŸ‡΅πŸ‡·

posted

It's happen to me once (thus far) in my life like 3yrs ago, it was freaky as hell. I was on the living room floor and was unable to move I looked down the hall & then out of nowhere this creature or what Religious people refer to as a "demon" came rushing towards me & it tried to f*ck me.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by Kylie

posted

I've struggled with sleep paralysis for as long as I can remember, I get it nearly every night. I used to complain to my family about it a lot and since non of them experienced it (until my dad did recently for the first time) they told me I was just having a nightmare and that it was only a dream, and I believed this for a while until around a year ago. I was at my girlfriend's house when I woke up in the middle of the night unable to move, and she had rolled over on top of me, and I couldn't do anything but wiggle my fingers and groan a lot while blinking which eventually woke her up, and she ended up getting freaked out that my eyes were open but I couldn't talk or move, so she shook me super hard which broke the paralysis. Now we have a whole procedure when she wakes up to my eyes wide open and me going "mrmrmrmrmrmrmrmrr" which doesn't involve violently shaking me out of fearΒ 

Report Reply

Reply by Bryce Syra

posted

I used to have sleep paralysis every single night. I am 20 and i still get it sometimes. In a way it happens less….but its gotten worse. I used to be able to break out of it. You have to start by wiggling something small like a finger, then your hand and so forth. But now no matter what i do its like every time i get it now i just am in another dream and it happens on loop.

Report Reply

Reply by Stella

posted

It's called "hagging" and it's quite common.

The current take on it includes mild antidepressants and a solid sleep schedule. https://www.livescience.com/50876-sleep-paralysis.html

But I think the jury is still out. It's a strange thing and somewhat poorly understood.

Report Reply

Reply by xXRetr0Cor33Xx

posted

I have sleep paralysis regularly, it got worse in 2016. I find the things that trigger it are a combination of cold temperatures and sleeping on my back. I'm also a deeply anxious person, but I find it not to trigger my sleep paralysis. Everyone is affected by sleep paralysis differently so don't look at my experience as the end all be all.

Report Reply

Reply by scourgu!

posted

never had it, despite being enough mentally fucked

Report Reply

Reply by Funkyfruitsalad

posted

I remember several times that it happened to me, I was between 5-6 years old and I remember that I could not move, only my eyes, there was an incredible noise, as if my whole family was screaming and gasping as they run around the house as if they were in a hurry and I remember seeing shadows without a defined shape all over my room, which I felt were watching me
It was so scary to me DX It haven't ocurried since that nights

Report Reply

Reply by Senya (Many Nights)

posted

I've suffered SP an array of times in my life.Β 

Sometimes it's just me being stuck and sometimes there's a spiritual attack at hand.Β 

Added contact w a Ouija board I once had SP and thought my bf was having sex with me during it. But my bf wasn't there and when I saw what was on me it wasn't human.Β 

Scary stuff. Most of my recent SP incidents have just been me being stuck tho thankfully.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by Casperss

posted

last time I had a sleep paralysis was wen I was probably 4 years old... it was scary, I coulden't move at all. I slept with my parents when I got that sleep paralysis so it wasn't that traumatizing.

Report Reply

Reply by anaranda

posted

realmente solo me a pasado una vez, pero yo desde antes ya estaba consiente en que eso me iba a pasar algΓΊn dΓ­a y que no tenia escapatoria, asΓ­ que ya estaba preparada mentalmente. el dΓ­a que me paso era aproximadamente las 12 de la noche y lo ultimo que estaba pensando antes que durmiera era que alguien entraba a mi casa con un machete, cuando me dormΓ­ empecΓ© a escuchar como un molino de viento, y luego en mi cabeza surgiΓ³ la imagen de un alienΓ­gena, pero estaba todo negro, me querΓ­a despertar pero no podΓ­a, sentΓ­a adormecido todo mi cuerpo, cuando pude pararme salΓ­ corriendo hacia el cuarto de mis padres , pero no pude evitar llorar...

Report Reply

Reply by katya

posted

i dont really suffer regularly, atleast not anymore.

but i used to a bit. my first sleep paralysis episode was about a year ago. after that, i got it atleast a few times per week, often having multiple episodes per night. very scary stuff i'd see.

i dont know anyway to prevent it, but to break out of it i'd always clench a fist really hard, or blink rapidly (of course i dont know if i was actually physically blinking but it felt like i was so i went with it). odd thing about the blinking was, that if i just closed my eyes, it felt as if my eyelids were glass and i could therefore still see what was going on. so blinking rapidly not only sort of blurred what i was seeing, but it broke me out of the episode.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by Lena

posted

I also had sleep paralysis some years ago and it was a bit traumatic, but I’m getting over it. You basically cant move and experience weird stuff happening around or above you while you are falling asleep/waking up. It happened to me mostly in the middle of the night and I felt like I had no voice to scream for help. I didn’t know this was a thing until I looked it up on the web and that calmed me a bit ^^

Report Reply

Reply by saggy:>

posted

ive experienced sleep paralysis multiple times. definitely not as frequent. but when it does happen i am fs in the most stressed state. i believe melatonin made it worse for me.

Report Reply

Reply by Darwin

posted

Reply by ihiplikebadass

posted

i got one when i was a child, it was like i woke up and i was feeling like i can't move, than i saw a hand in my mirror and my head started to pulsing and after that i woke up and everything was normal!!!!!!!1 that was really strange experience

Report Reply

Reply by xandraherero

posted

Play the most exciting 11ic rummyΒ and Online games at 11ic.com free to download get your exclusive welcome offer. What are you waiting for? Register now!

Report Reply

Reply by ten

posted

I used to frequently get them as a kid and it’s been a while now tho I still get like one a year or something. It’s kinda stressful but fun in a way ig XD

Report Reply

Reply by Anastasia

posted

I suffered from sleep paralysis almost daily for 3 years, i had one few days ago, it got so part to the point where i called out for jesus and I'm atheist lol

Report Reply

Reply by sparrowyed

posted

My sleep paralysis has been going on for a few weeks; with no explanation on why.

The way how it works, I usually wake up at a really early time, let's say, 2-4 AM.

I have a night lamp beside me so it's quite bright (I'm terrified of the dark due to constant paranoia I also experience) and then when I go back to bed, then it happens.

When I think of something, which for some reason automatically happens, it feels like first person as if it's actually happening. Then I feel a tingling sensation, and I freeze. I can't physically move and if I do, it hurts. It's difficult to breathe and everything is slowly pixelating and darkening.

It feels like my body is being dragged to the dream or whatever I was thinking, and sometimes during this phase I hallucinate. I could hear laughter and voices, and they were happening the whole time until I get the courage to actually try and move.

And this disturbs my sleep so damn much. Sleep paralysis doesn't always happen after seeing extremely bright light for a good amount of time, but it happens after when I have nightmares too.

Sleep paralysis is really claustrophobic to me, and fortunately, it's starting to wear off but not at the same time.Β 

I hope you feel better soon, here for you. <3

Report Reply

Reply by xxjaydedollyyxx

posted

I had sleep paralysis for the first time about 2 months ago. I remember I was dreaming about walking to the bathroom in my apartment and seeing a shadow behind the curtain and then I woke up in bed but couldn't exactly move. All I could do is look around. I looked over to my door that was open and I saw this humanoid demonic looking thing on all fours that was as still as a statue and had the biggest smile on its face. I couldn't scream or talk or do anything. It felt so real!

Report Reply

Reply by Tothian

posted

Call out to Jesus when that happens. It happens to me a few times and each time saying the name of Jesus even when I was barely able to speak made it instantly go away.

Report Reply

Reply by Chelly

posted
updated

I had sleep paralysis for the first time a few nights ago, and it was one of the scariest experiences of my life. Twice in one night I woke up unable to move or breathe; everything was numb and tingling at the same time. it felt like I was dying and there was nothing I could do about it. On the second one, I heard this ringing in my ears and hallucinated someone shaking my shoulder and yelling, "Wake up! Wake up!"

Anyone who experiences sleep paralysis regularly is a frickin hero to me, that stuff is terrifying lol.

Report Reply

Reply by AltWoman_XD

posted

I have dealt with sleep paralysis in the past. It feels weird being paralyzed and being unable to breathe. You're trying to call for help but unfortunately, nothing you do helps to save you.

Report Reply