« Back to the Anime Fans Forum

manga recommendations thread

Posted by oyster

posted
updated

Forum: Anime Fans Group

here's a thread where we all recommend manga because we are very
bored and socially inept people who rely in an obscure revival of a dead
early 2000's social netword to feel like we belong.

i'll start:

Dungeon Meshi

tier art, best fantasy manga i know. They basically don't have food and
have to cook the monsters they kill along their adventure throught the
dungeon. I'm in love with Marcille.

Otoyomegatari

Best art i've seen on manga so far, the amount of detail
on the textures and clothing of the characters is mind blowing. It's
about the middle east, but it focuses on the culture and relationships
of several people, with a fair bit of romance. It's a very laid back,
and despite being like that, there's always progression on the life of
the characters and things are always happening that keep it fresh and
interesting.

Shiori Experience

Shiori,
a japanese english school teacher, is haunted by the ghost of Jimi
Hendrix. I don't need to say anything else about this one. The art is
top notch, and the story reminds me of whiplash (the movie)
which is a very good thing.

Those are mine, I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

Report Topic

78 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Monster Zero

posted

SKULLMAN

Skullman is a series about a dead man walking taking revenge on the people who took everything from him, all while uncovering a mystery. It's written by Shotaro Ishinomori, and later went on to inspire the ever popular tokusatsu series: Kamen Rider. The art is excellent and downright psychedelic at times. It's a continuation of the original oneshot from the 60s that was shunned for being too violent, seeing as he was Japan's first antihero.

Report Reply

Reply by Captain Zonko

posted
updated

Lately, I've been falling in love with the work of Oshimi Shuzo like Aku No Hana and Blood On The Tracks.

Report Reply

Reply by Nathan Thompson

posted
updated

Goblin slayer is one of my all time favorites

Report Reply

Reply by Remmy

posted

i started Goodnight PunPun a little while ago, getting close to finishing it and i would def recommend.. its an emotional roller-coaster

Report Reply

Reply by Aren!

posted

Berserk is great, I really recommend it!

Report Reply

Reply by Aren!

posted

Berserk is great, I really recommend it!

Report Reply

Reply by Bones

posted

Ojisama to Neko is a really good short slice of life manga. its from the perspective of a 1 year old cat who hasnt been adopted yet untill an old man comes into the shop and adopts the cat. it gose through with the Fukumaru's (the cats name) anxiety that hes going to be returned or the old man wont/dosent love him (the old man loves him very much). its really cute and i think it has a short live action show with it. 

Report Reply

Reply by Wulfy Starbreaker

posted

Kuso Miso Technique

Report Reply

Reply by Ascher

posted

Golden kamui, it’s so good and the style is definitely somewhat distinct !

Report Reply

Reply by killuastrange

posted

ohh geez its really been a while since i properly read a manga..the last ones i sorta read ( well sorta cause i just watched and listened to a timeline/reading of the mangas on youtube)
were attack on titan, claymore and gantz..id personally recommend knight run(its a manwha but god its so awesome)

Report Reply

Reply by Crash Test Dummy!1

posted

One Punch Man has some fabulous art

Report Reply

Reply by Adri<3

posted

Atelier of Witch Hat 

Atelier of Witch Hat, Vol. 1 – Milky Way Ediciones

Report Reply

Reply by ·•· J ·•·

posted

Keep you hand off eizouken is super funny and really enjoyable. The artstyle is also nice, too bad they only released like 2 (maybe 3 I still need to check)
Theres an anime that goes farther so theres always that.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - Wikipedia

Report Reply

Reply by Hunter Calley

posted

if you like art definitely check out Vagabond!

Report Reply

Reply by ShutUpGabe

posted

Chainsaw Man is usually my go too :")

Report Reply

Reply by Sarah

posted
updated

Biggest recommendation is The Ancient Magus' Bride and its two spin-off series, Wizard's Blue and Jack Flash. They're a series that focuses on the magic world and it's relationship with modern day England, France, and New York, respectively. The series is very lore-heavy, but its biggest focus is about understanding complex relationships and emotions.

The main series has an anime too, but they throw away chunks of the lore in exchange for awesome animation, so I suggest reading the manga first.

Report Reply

Reply by KeikoKup

posted

Please read Otome Kaiju Caramelizer its about a girl who becomes Godzilla when she falls in love and it's amazing

Report Reply

Reply by moecomlynx

posted

read houseki no kuni / land of the lustrous ...NOW

Report Reply

Reply by ❀ MelliKay ❀

posted

♡WOTAKOI♡ 

Super cute, Funny, and Relatable. Two Otakus in a relationship.

Report Reply

Reply by Ary

posted

I’m currently reading the Beastars manga! It’s good so far :) 

Report Reply

Reply by Wikipedia666

posted

100% Recommend Goodnight PunPun. Hurts to this day, no other media has left such a hard impact on me.

Report Reply

Reply by Galestorm

posted

pls read Golden Kamuy its so good

Report Reply

Reply by break stuff

posted
updated

Chainsawman is a really good manga with also beautiful art. 

Also Full Metal Alchemist is cool. 
And any Junji Ito's work is also really good, it's horror btw and the art is really cool and detailed.
Okay i forgot, Nana is also really good :)

Report Reply

Reply by sara <3

posted

I really recommend Komi Can’t Communicate! It’s a cute wholesome manga about a girl with a communication disorder who tries to make friends :> 

Report Reply

Reply by Ash <3

posted

Blue Flag is queer coming of age, really reccomened for those who want to read a good story about queer kids figuring themselves out, friendship and many mor important themes, all with great storytelling and an even better artstyle (at least in my opinion ♡^▽^♡) 

Report Reply

Reply by valeria ⛧

posted

recommending Tomie, fleshed colored horror, and uzumaki I’m really into horror manga.

Report Reply

Reply by luca

posted

I really like Brutal :Confessions of a Homicide Investigator

Report Reply

Reply by NumaLau

posted
updated

hehe I have a hyperfixation right now on Trigun. The story focuses on a man named Vash the Stampede, a staunch pacifist running from bounty hunters who seek to obtain the immense bounty on his head ($$60,000,000,000). As the series progresses, it goes in depth into Vash's past. There's a sort of western cowboy vibe to the manga with heavy scfi elements coming in later on. Everything takes place on a planet called "No Man's Land" (called Gunsmoke in the anime) and all of its characters are HIGHLY rememberable.

There's two mangas but you should start with the original Trigun and THEN go onto Trigun Maximum. There's a neat project going on that you can find on both Reddit and Tumblr called "Trigun Ultimate Overhaul" which seeks to make the English translation even MORE better :D

cries cutely

Report Reply

Reply by vexxeii

posted
updated

if yall like gory stuff liek me i would recommend Brutal: Satsujin Kansatsukan no Kokuhaku
dont worry its still ongoing :D

Report Reply

Reply by ☣️xXBiohazardBenXx☣️

posted

Claymore because some of the art is absolutely insane.

Claymore, Vol. 1: Norihiro Yagi, Norihiro Yagi: 9781421506180: Books:  Amazon.com

Claymore, Vol. 19 (19): Yagi, Norihiro: 9781421540788: Books - Amazon

Pin on Claymore

Thoughts on ... Claymore (review: Minor Spoilers) — Jackson P. Brown

VIZ | Blog / MANGA: Claymore Vol. 23

Report Reply

Reply by D☆YR☆

posted

Brutal:satsujin kanatsukan no Kokuhaku

A policeman that likes to make justice by his own 

It’s gore and horror. The art style is quite good and even though is not finished, I enjoyed reading it 

Report Reply

Reply by ★☆ VIRGIN_GERMS ☆★

posted
updated

My recommendation is Toilet Bound Hanako-kun! It’s about a girl that makes a wish to the spirit Hanako and gets wrapped into his world :3

The manga is better IMO, altho the anime is GR8!! <33

Report Reply

Reply by suavesmjt

posted

Always Yona of dawn, I’m reading Emma which is by the same author of  Otoyomegatari. Looks pretty promising. 

Report Reply

Reply by Gary

posted

1. World Trigger: the story was laid out well, in a big-picture manner, drawing style getting cleaner nowadays.

2. Archipel has introduced some alt manga on their YouTube site: https://youtu.be/x7Yo87NYhEk

Report Reply

Reply by TriadKnight

posted

dead dead demons de de de de destruction

Report Reply

Reply by Ryan

posted

One of my all time favorite mangas has to be Kaguya Sama: Love is war. It follows the complex relationship between miyuki, the student council president and Kaguya the vice president as they try to make one another confess their love. Its a great romantic comedy manga that is really engaging to read imo. There are also 23 english released volumes so far so there is no shortage of content to binge.

Report Reply

Reply by remy

posted

dead dead demons is really good! the only of inio asano's works that is going to get an anime adaptation

Report Reply

Reply by *jazzy*

posted

Demon slayer

Report Reply

Reply by QtLanaa

posted

Tomie

I'm still currently reading it<3

Tomie: Complete Deluxe Edition ebook by Junji Ito - Rakuten Kobo

Report Reply

Reply by aylin

posted

chainsaw man !!!

Chainsaw Man - Wikipedia

Report Reply

Reply by ianishere

posted

Some older choices: Parasyte! Soul Eater! Lone Wolf and Cub!
Some newer choices: The Promised Neverland! The Devil is a Part-Timer! Beastars!

Report Reply

Reply by Mia

posted
updated

You have to read From the red fog. 

It is a manga about a 12 year old named Rwanda who's an assassin who's mother has been killed. One thing I have to mention is that his whole family are also assassins and he never really experienced real love since he was born because he was being trained to kill. 

Rwanda escapes alone and he will discover some "plot twists" about his family and the father that was never on his side. 

Btw lmk if you didn't understand everything I said because my english is not the best.

Report Reply

Reply by starchey

posted
updated

If you like a bit of horror I recommend Goodnight Pun Pun really great story line and art style its about a imaginary friend that stays for a bit to long :)

Report Reply

Reply by schooper

posted

hajime no ippo!! 1400+ chapters never went by so fast!!!

Report Reply

Reply by suavesmjt

posted

not a manga but a manwha, but Maybe Meant To Be on Webtoon is adorableee, a romcom that does what romcoms are supposed to do. 

"Maybe Meant To Be" on webtoon

Report Reply

Reply by KARMA

posted
updated

TIME FOR THE HNKNA ENTHUSIAST TO SHINE!!! Hihi! Today I will be recommending a manga for you to add to your reading list! Heart No Kuni No Alice ( or Alice in the Country of Hearts ) is part of the QuinRose Universe. The Manga and the Otome game* were released around the same time so I'm not sure which was released first, but I recommend it nevertheless! ( * talk about later! )

hnknagame

hnknamanga
The manga is a reworked/visited version of Lewis Carroll's famous " Alice in Wonderland " with added bishounen characters and spicy romance. Alice Liddell was forcefully kidnapped and brought down a hole into Wonderland. Due to a trick, she has no choice but to play a mysterious game. To complete the game, she has to meet the residents in Wonderland to fill up a potion bottle - only then can she go home. The plot is pretty basic and falls along the lines of the original Alice in Wonderland, but there is a twist in the story. In Wonderland, everyone starts taking a liking to her at some point due to her being an outsider/foreigner.  From what I remember, there are about 12+(ish) endings in the otome game, but in the manga, she ultimately ends up with 1. It's VERY otome, but it's just so good.

There are also side route books that display the other countries! Such as The Country of Clover (♣), The Country of Joker (🃏), The Country of Diamond (♦), and most recently The Country of Spades (♠️) - ( the newest release of the Wonderful Wonder World series on Nintendo Switch by QuinRose Reborn, not yet in manga form. )

cnkna jnkna dnkna snkna

Through all of the other otome games that I've played and mangas that I've read, HNKNA always stuck. No matter it be the art style, characters, or mild plot twists, I can always count on coming back to this series a couple of times a year. The series just has such an ambiance and aura that always makes me feel like I'm part of the Wonderful Wonder World and I'm never able to shake the feeling. Although seemingly plain, it is a really special series and QuinRose put so much work into this universe. I hope you add it to your reading list! Have a wonderful day ✩°。⋆⸜(ू˙꒳​˙ )

Report Reply

Reply by Sp0rkzz⦻

posted

Magical girl apocalypse is good but i'd read it online if i were you. The fourth book is super high in price 

Report Reply

Reply by fuo

posted

Dandadan!! It's like chainsaw man but not at the same time (no one's died yet <3). Synopsis is as follows:

After being aggressively rejected, Momo Ayase finds herself sulking when she stumbles across a boy being bullied. Saved by her rash kindness, the occult-obsessed boy attempts to speak to her about supernatural interests he believes they share. Rejecting his claims, Ayase proclaimed that she instead is a believer in ghosts, starting an argument between the two over which is real. In a bet to determine who is correct, the two decide to separately visit locations associated with both the occult and the supernatural—Ayase visiting the former and the boy visiting the latter. When the two reach their respective places, it turns out that neither was wrong and that both the occult and ghosts do exist. This marks the beginning of Ayase and the boy's adventure, as they attempt to fix the surreal, supernatural, and sci-fi elements around them to return to a normal life.

It's a mega fun read, comedy is/jokes are embedded within the manga and there's also some romance on the side!epik panel with momo ayase

dandadan cover

Report Reply

Reply by pseudoScribe

posted

Dissolving Classroom by Junji Ito is definitely one of his more underrated books. It's a little goofy but it's a fun quick read.

Report Reply

Reply by ♡ Zie ♡

posted

I would seriously recommend Kanata Kara / From Far Away. it's an isekai from well before the isekai boom and just a really lovely shoujo fantasy / romance. really expertly written and I can't recommend it enough.

Report Reply