« Back to the Anime Fans Forum

i want ur fav 80's - early 2000's anime rec's!! >:]

Posted by l.eisnthere

posted
updated

Forum: Anime Fans Group

im a real sucker for old shoujo's especially, although i've run that genre kind of dry and i need anything that has that good nostalgic quality ya feel! talk abt some of the things u liked abt the show if u want, anything rly!!

Report Topic

196 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by sam

posted
updated

Reply by VAN

posted

you should see "The Grave Of The Fireflies" from Ghibli!
it's a dark movie about WW2 in japan though, but the story is really well and it was based on real events!!

If a movie ever made you cry, i am sure this would make you cry harder

Report Reply

Reply by Everoth

posted

check out cyber formula its underrated and almost unknown.

Report Reply

Reply by Nirvana

posted

you should watch magic kaito 1412! it has 12eps and some conan scenes in the eps. detective conan is nice but its too long, it has more than 1000eps and it'll take you way too long to watch all the eps 

Magic Kaito 1412 Wiki | Fandom

Report Reply

Reply by Cashew

posted

Ok so I know its pre 80's but the Devilman  1972 dub is peak X0!!!

(other gr8 ones be: Goldenboy 1995, Evangelion obvi, Akira duh, I tried watching black jack and it was aight, I would love some recs of some niche older animes I've seen mostly the popular ones like serial experiments lain and ghost in the shell :3!)

Report Reply

Reply by ☆ kira

posted

rose of versallies 

onii sama e

Report Reply

Reply by RATZZZZZZ

posted

Ooooooo!!!! Perfect blue, sailor moon, cardcaptor sakura, and Evangelion come to mind

Report Reply

Reply by Maiii

posted

AKIRA  1988

Report Reply

Reply by Siaprofuntime199lol

posted

AVATAR. XOXO I REMEMBER WATCHING IT IN MY GRANDMOMS HOUSE SO FUN XD

Report Reply

Reply by ghostsyndrome

posted

Haibane Renmei (2002) is SO GOOD. its like a slow paced slice of life with fantasy and mystery elements. its a philisophical type anime that i think has a really important message. it has a lot of religious symbolism but honestly im not religious and i still found it incredibly relatable, so regardless of your beliefs i think this could resonate with anyone. i cant really go into detail because its all spoilers tho.

the vibes are just so serene. its a feeling thats so hard to describe. its like so calming but almost melancholic as well. but melencholic in a way where you feel sad but also hopeful in the end.

Report Reply

Reply by ewashii

posted

Serial experiments Lain Serial Experiments: Lain (1998) - Filmaffinity

Report Reply

Reply by XD.xasthur!!

posted

i really love saint seiya, such a beautiful anime.

Report Reply

Reply by Gl00m

posted

ooo okay so! I really like Dirty Pair, which you can find on crunchyroll!! the art style is so good and the anime is definitely a fun watch!!

I also recommend anything by Rumiko Takahashi, so Inuyasha, Ranma1/2, Urusei Yastsura, etc! The art style for all of those are so pretty and definitely give that nostalgic feeling! <(˶ᵔᵕᵔ˶)>

i also may be a little biased but i LOVE yu yu hakusho a lot... another anime with an amazing nostalgic art style!

ok last one i'll put here but i also recommend checking out CLAMP if you haven't already (also biased hehe). i know you said you've ran the shoujo genre dry so I'm sure you've seen Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits! But I also recommend checking out Magic Knight Rayearth, Angelic Layer, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Kobato, etc! They all fit that similar vibe of being nostalgic and having great art styles and such!

I love recommending anime so this was a fun post to make hehe

Report Reply

Lets all love Lain 

Report Reply

Reply by 𝐄𝐌𝐌𝐄

posted

MONSTER by Naoki Urasawa

{Español}

La primera vez que escuche de el fue en un video que me recomendó youtube. En el solo hablaba de como se desencadena cierto suceso que creame que los dejara al borde de la siento por cada episodio que concluye.

Nos cuenta la historia del Doctor Kenzo Tenma, quien se enfrenta a diversos dilemas eticos, dandole a escoger entre salvar a un niño que llego primero a la sala de emergencias y que requiere una operacion que solo el puede llevar a cabo o, la vida de un hombre importante cuya salvación pondra en un prestigioso lugar al hospital donde nuestro protagonista trabaja.

Esta decision hara que su vida cambie de manera drastica, dando un giro que jamas hubieras podido adivinar, y esto solo es el primer capitulo!!

De verdad, denle una oportunida. Creo que lo puedes encontrar en netflix o en su defecto, por lo antiguo que es, puedes encontralo en paginas que se dedican a resubir animes.

{English}

The first time I heard about it was in a video recommended to me by YouTube. In it, he only talked about how a certain event unfolds that will truly leave you on the edge of your seat for each concluding episode.

It tells the story of Doctor Kenzo Tenma, who, from the first minutes of the series, faces various ethical dilemmas, forcing him to choose between saving a child who arrived first in the emergency room and requires an operation that only he can perform, or the life of an important man whose salvation will place the hospital where our protagonist works in a prestigious position.

This decision will make his life change drastically, taking a turn that you could never have guessed, and this is only the first episode!!

Seriously, give it a chance. I believe you can find it on Netflix, or due to its age, you can find it on websites dedicated to reuploading anime.

Report Reply

Reply by 夢猫

posted

ROUJIN Z 

Report Reply

Reply by 夢猫

posted

ROUJIN Z 

Report Reply

Reply by 夢猫

posted

ROUJIN Z 

Report Reply

Reply by rosie

posted

I'm LOVING Princess Tutu! I haven't finished it yet, but it's so cute. I feel that according to the chapters the story will be heavier. It's a magical girl... A BALLET MAGICAL GIRL BRO I'M IN LOVE

Report Reply

Reply by whoah

posted

Not exactly a 2000's anime technically but Angel Beats(2010) captures the style of 2000's anime pretty well since it came hot off the heals of the 2000's, oh its also a really good anime, I rate it

Report Reply

Reply by Tate Vosk

posted

Evangelion OFC!!! and Madoka Magica

(cool crossover)

Report Reply

Reply by Late (^w^)

posted

This technically isn't early 2000's but it has the same vibes and it's only 2010. I'd highly recommend Angel Beats! It's a short and sweet show. Has an interesting story but isn't an incredible commitment to follow along with.

Report Reply

Reply by Dogs2006

posted

Inuyasha

Tokimeki tonight

Karin chibi vampire

Lucky star 

Fruits basket ( (READ THE MANGA TOO!)

Vampire knight

Tokyo mew mew/mew mew power (WATCH THE SUB!!)

Elfen lied 

Higurashi

Report Reply

Reply by 3nayzh

posted
updated

perfect blue is sooooo good there's also welcome to NHK it's very good to there's also GOT 

Report Reply

Reply by sere𝔣ins

posted

Hiiro No Kakera, i love this sm

Report Reply

Reply by sloth

posted

Earth Maiden Arjuna (2001) n its on tubi, which has a couple other old animes.

Report Reply

Reply by Janina

posted

Ghost stories omg is so funny in english dub.

Report Reply

Reply by Timothy David

posted

Dirty Pair is super fun, and set the template for a lot of sci-fi/action series to come, even if it's...kind of a product of its time

Also, Martian Successor Nadesico from the mid 90s might honestly be my favorite anime ever? It's clearly a post-Evangelion series, but it's a little more human and relatable, and handles a lot of really interesting sci-fi concepts along the way

Report Reply

Reply by Ecate_

posted

Samurai champloo, it's one of my fav animes, it's really cool and funny, give it a try !

Report Reply

Reply by robin hood <3

posted

it might not be exactly what you want, since it is legitimately a magical girl anime and not a shounen, but i recommend futari wa pretty cure! 

but who knows, it might not be your cup of tea :^)

Report Reply

Reply by amber

posted

FLCL

Serial Experiments Lain

Inuyasha

Report Reply

Reply by nullzer0

posted
updated

Trying not to repeat suggestions already posted but there's a lot of replies lol

Ergo Proxy fits this site's aesthetic well, very hot topic coded. If you liked psychopass you might like this

NeoTokyo is cool, 3 vignettes with very different styles, one's just dreamscape, the other two are different kinds of scifi

Paprika is a mindfuck, not unlike inception but better

If you haven't seen Durarara you owe yourself to give it a shot, I'd call it urban fantasy

I had really enjoyed the Read or Die TV series but can't remember it well enough to say more than that

Shangri-la (not Shangri-la Frontier, the one from 2009) falls into a similar camp
of "I don't remember it too well but man did I love it back then"

Report Reply

Reply by May 🤍

posted

Cardcaptor Sakura 🌸✨🌷

Report Reply

Reply by Anniexd

posted
updated

I recomand Cowboy beep boop, if u like SF and action. <3

Report Reply

Reply by Veronika_Vampire

posted

Definitely Serial Experiments Lain (1998) very good philosophical anime  

Report Reply

Reply by Ronni

posted

I love love love His and Her Circumstances and Princess Tutu

funny anime haha

Report Reply

Reply by penny ☆

posted

InuyashaI’m currently watching InuYasha rn (sub) and it’s a classic from the early 2000s! it’s very nostalgic. It’s a pretty great series. There’s a love triangle in it which gets a bit annoying at times but the storyline and characters are very well written. It’s my favorite. <3

Report Reply

Reply by xXHyper-CryptidXx

posted

couldn't reccomend Shugo Chara enough bc they characters r literally the embodiment of y2k style anime

Some other good ones are Cardcaptor Sakura and Tokyo Mew Mew!!

Report Reply

Reply by Lampy Lust

posted

Wolf's Rain (2003) is beautifully animated and has a very interesting story

Report Reply

Chobits, Sakura Card captor, Azumanga Daioh, Ouran, Haruhi Suzumiya... I have a large list!!! ( ̄∇ ̄)( ̄∇ ̄)

Report Reply

Reply by alistair

posted

This is gonna sound so basic....but neon genesis evangelion

Report Reply

Reply by COCO!!!!

posted

I luv urusei yatsura sailor moon and experiment lain!!!

Im also trying to get into ranma

Report Reply

Reply by Mewkaollasu

posted

Tokyo mew mew 2002,karin chibi vampire 2005,

Report Reply

Reply by Mewkaollasu

posted

Tokyo mew mew 2002,karin chibi vampire 2005,

Report Reply

Reply by jillyfish

posted

oooh,, definitely perfect blue for a more psychological-horror movie feel :) 

fushigi yuugi for a historical-like isekai romance :)) i promise,, the story is WAAAAAAAY better than u expect

ouran high school host club - fun romance anime lmaoo

Report Reply

Reply by Izzy The Exploder

posted

Im big on Inuyasha, my older sister showed me it when i was little

Report Reply

Reply by Sparkz

posted

War in the Pocket was absolutely fantastic, watched it a couple months ago <3

Report Reply

Reply by glafin

posted
updated

currently im watching through universal century gundam and im really enjoying it, though i will say, some shows like zeta can get REALLY slow at times.
if you wanna get a short taste you can watch 0080: war in the pocket or 08th ms team. theyre 6 and 12 episodes respectively and dont require much knowledge asides from: in the future humanity moves into space and creates colonies. the farthest colony from earth declares independence and names itself the principality of zeon. after a LOT of war crimes the earth federation space force and zeon begin the one year war, the worst war in human history yet.

Report Reply

Reply by Sparkz

posted
updated

A couple days ago I learned about Ruin Explorers: Fam and Ihrie and I've been having a good time with it! Girls who can do magic (but if one of them does she's cursed to turn into a mouse, so she has to teach the other one how to do magic well,) looking for treasure in old ruins, then stuff happens. It's also super short since it's a 4 ep ova, I'm halfway through now since I've been watching an ep a day. It has a solid mix of comedy and action and the English dub is great for the tone; I haven't found subs for it but I haven't looked very hard.

There's a bit of nudity in episode 1 (Ihrie takes a bath) but I think that's the only possibly objectionable thing I've seen so far?

Report Reply