« Back to the Anime Fans Forum

i want ur fav 80's - early 2000's anime rec's!! >:]

Posted by l.eisnthere

posted
updated

Forum: Anime Fans Group

im a real sucker for old shoujo's especially, although i've run that genre kind of dry and i need anything that has that good nostalgic quality ya feel! talk abt some of the things u liked abt the show if u want, anything rly!!

Report Topic

195 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by oyster

posted

I watched Planetes (2003) recently and it's soooo goood. It's really unlike any other anime i've ever seen.

Other than that, FLCL (2000) is a must watch and filled with 90's to 00's transition aestethics. Plus, the soundtrack rocks.

Report Reply

if you like shounen, yu yu hakusho has that PRIME retro art style, and tbh the characters are great and i'd die for them. also fushigi yuugi is pretty widely available and defined shoujo for a while.... i can't say it's GOOD, necessarily, but it's fun to watch.

Report Reply

Reply by ion<3

posted
updated

I haven't watched that many but my favs are:

Perfect Blue (1997)
Horror, Dementia, Drama, Psychological
(I have to warn you that it has nudity, some r//pe scenes and violence)

Ghost Stories (2001)
I'd say it's horror but the dub has a different, comedic, script

Elfen Lied (2004)
Action, Horror, Psychological, Supernatural, Drama, Romance, Seinen
(This one has nudity and gore too)

Chobits (2002)
Sci-Fi, Comedy, Drama, Romance, Ecchi, Seinen

Hope I helped!

Report Reply

Reply by PinkGh0sts

posted

Oh one of my favorite has to be ā€œRanma 1/2ā€ 1989, Itā€™s basically this boy fell into some cursed pond and now can change into a girl when he touches cold water.Ā 

Report Reply

Reply by Ash

posted

cardcaptor sakura!!

Report Reply

Reply by Abri Muccino

posted
updated

Perfect Blue, Sailor Moon, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Higurashi: When They Cry, Soul Eater, Ouran High School Host Club and NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind.

Report Reply

Reply by Beau

posted

I totally recommend Shamanic Princess!! It can be found on YT and CrunchyRoll!! Its a rather short series, being about like 7-8 episodes I think? But they're all about 30 mins long :] It was made in 98!

Report Reply

Reply by inactive

posted

I watched Inuyasha awhile back, the episodes drag sometimes since thereā€™s a lot of battles, but itā€™s full a lot of cute and funny moments! I do recommend it for the nostalgic feel and story. :D

Report Reply

Reply by ZAE !!

posted

Serial Experiments Lain!!Ā 

Report Reply

Reply by Rickasaurus

posted
updated

More modern feeling would be something like Escaflowne or Fushigi Yuugi (maybe the mother of all shoujo).

Report Reply

Reply by hallucinogenicHypnotist

posted

You've prob watched before but evangelion is the GOAT of 90's anime

Report Reply

Reply by Iwin Ulose

posted

Wolf's Rain if you want to be sad :D

Report Reply

Reply by Kava Plays

posted

Ranma 1/2!!! It has a lot of action, humor, and romance all with the early 90s nostalgic feel. I really love the art style and first opening. It can get a bit raunchy at times because of one character, but I think it's a good watch. It's a classic and it really is hilarious.

Report Reply

Reply by Ascher

posted

Urusei yatsura is definitely up there for me, even just the openings by itself are a masterpiece. Very catchy! By the Same person as ranma 1/2

Report Reply

Reply by Tina mae

posted

ouran high school host club and kiki's delivery service!!!

Report Reply

Reply by killuastrange

posted

one piece started on the 90s if im correct..but yeah maybe cowboy bebop? i actually rewatched it sometme this year and it still holds up. and maybe rorounin kenshin?

Report Reply

Reply by lisa Lan

posted

Dear Brother (TV Series 1991–1992) - IMDb

i would recommend onisama e from the 90s ultra dramtic and dark, but if you would like some thing more light hearded try adshita no nadja from the early 2000s
Ashita no Nadja - Ashita no Nadja updated their profile...

Report Reply

Reply by Crash Test Dummy!1

posted

Fruits Basket (not so much of a Shoujo but the animation style is there), Sailor Moon obviously, InuYasha, Code Geass

Report Reply

my personal favorite is slayers

I like it because it's entertaining, humorous, has actually pretty good world building, and does a good job of satiating my desire for an old school fantasy anime

the second season, slayers next, is fantastic as well and I would easily recommend the first 2 seasons, maybe the 3rd as well

if you like the fantasy genre and like retro anime then you might want to give slayers a shot

Report Reply

Reply by KLUE

posted

Ā ZATCH BELLLLLLLLLLĀ 

Report Reply

Reply by Hunter Calley

posted

Definitely Evangelion! The artwork is still supreme

Report Reply

Reply by damnann

posted
updated

Ā 

Wicked City is one! Itā€™s pretty fucking wild!!!! Horror mixed w vaporwave- def a vibe.Ā 

Report Reply

Reply by Elizabeth

posted

Cowboy Bebop is so good if you love action, sci-fi and anything involving cowboys.ni highly recommend watching it in dub.

Report Reply

Reply by Crackhole_Shippment

posted

Zatch Bell without a doubt. Still annoyed that the anime never finished.

Report Reply

Reply by ShutUpGabe

posted
updated

Yu Yu Hakusho, still my all time favorite from that era and I've rewatched it many many times.

Report Reply

If you like the Moomins, you might like theĀ 1986 Wizard of Oz anime! It's 52 episodes and I watched it all the time as a kid, I also have a soft spot for UnicoĀ 

People have already mentioned other stuff I was thinking of, but I haven't seen Porco Rosso or Nasicaa mentioned yet! Grave of the Fireflies is also really good but really heavyĀ 

Report Reply

Reply by Bouchu_

posted

OuranĀ highschool host club, HeidiĀ 

p0ks1 portada | Host club, High school host club, Ouran high school host  clubHeidi', 'Vickie el vikingo' y otros dibujos que cumplen 40 años |  Televisión | EL PAÍS

Report Reply

Reply by ā›§ phinus ā›§

posted
updated

Cowboy Bebop
Watching right now, didn't finish yet but it's my fav anime atm
Really mind blown and hooked on it

Neon Genesis Evangelion
I know it's basic and overrated (don't really care i watch n recommend what I want fuck u) but its just too good and the story is too nice.

Report Reply

Reply by CaesarOrzell

posted

World of Narue is great. Watching Happy Lesson right now and it's pretty good too! Kanon (2002) isn't as bad as everyone says it was, and if you want more romance, I've got His and Her Circumstances, I heard that one's pretty good.

Report Reply

Reply by Kris

posted

Here are three old Anime classics I like that are in the late 80s

Neo Tokyo (1987)

Full of surrealism (Especially the first story, Labyrinth Labyrinthos). My favorite though would have to be The Construction Cancellation OrderĀ 

Robot Carnival (1987)

Stories full of robots!Ā  That movie was way ahead of it's time.Ā  Just my opinion, it could use a bit more dialogue

Akira (1988)

A cyberpunk flick that was also way head of it's time.Ā  One of the best anime movies besides Spirited Away as I've been told.Ā  It's setting kinda reminds me of Blade Runner

Report Reply

Reply by vixen

posted

for movies i would recommend:

• battle angelĀ 
  • akira
  • my neighbour totoroĀ 
  • ninja scroll
  • grave of the fireflies
  • angelā€™s egg
for series i would recommend:
  • maison ikkoku
  • initial d
  • rorouni kenshin
  • great teacher onizukaĀ 
  • ranma 1/2
  • fist of the north starĀ 
  • golden boy
  • slam dunk
  • dragon ballĀ 

Report Reply

Reply by vixen

posted

for movies i would recommend:

• battle angelĀ 
  • akira
  • my neighbour totoroĀ 
  • ninja scroll
  • grave of the fireflies
  • angelā€™s egg
for series i would recommend:
  • maison ikkoku
  • initial d
  • rorouni kenshin
  • great teacher onizukaĀ 
  • ranma 1/2
  • fist of the north starĀ 
  • golden boy
  • slam dunk
  • dragon ballĀ 

Report Reply

Reply by Tobal :P

posted
updated

Prob Perfect Blue (1997)

Report Reply

Reply by Alveus Nosville

posted

FLCL and Black Lagoon

Report Reply

Reply by ā€ MelliKay ā€

posted

ā™” INUYASHAĀ ā™”

Report Reply

Reply by xX_fr3aki3_fr0ggi3_Xx

posted

ik this is an old forum but shiki is a rlly good horror anime from that time period !!!! i reccommend it sm !!!!!

Report Reply

Reply by KuLeiV

posted

I'd also like to suggest Serial Experiments Lain. It's not gonna be for everyone, but hey, it ain't a cult classic for nothing. If you want an anime that will inject a retro future aesthetic right into your blood stream, this is it. Thematically, it's primarily about how advanced technology's presence in the real world blurs the line between reality and virtual reality. It's trippy at times and even more often difficult to follow on your first viewing, but that's what gets you to revisit it again and again.

Both the opening song "Duvet" by Boa and "Lain's Theme" slap, so I also recommend listening to those songs from the OST, if nothing else.

Report Reply

Reply by Green: the Sin-Eaters

posted

Rose of Versailles is 1979 so not technically 80s but utterly gorgeous. First eps are a bit boring, twiddling its thumbs to set up a really compelling and subversive shoujo tale.Ā 
Revolutionary Girl Utena is my personal favorite anime, an aesthetically marvelous, rich, complex narrative. It's really really heavy though, not just in narrative layering, symbolism allegory etc but also in its... content-warning meriting aspects. Don't worry, they're all engaged with with tact, but they are very raw. There are many CW guides all over the net.Ā 

It's more like late-aughts but Soul Eater is my fave Shonen/battle series, it's a lot of fun if you haven't engaged with it but the manga ends more satisfyingly overall

Report Reply

Reply by rocks

posted

one of my friends is constantly raving about Kite, i only watched some clips and read some reviews and it seems really good.

(also, its really graphic so watch at your own discretion)

Report Reply

Reply by Rat Earth

posted

Kite is great, and the same studio also did another OVA, Mezzo Forte. Both are technically hentai but there's versions with the H-scenes edited out if that bugs you. If you're into vintage anime sleaze with incredibly funny English voice acting, the Devilman OVAs from the 80s are great, along with the Violence Jack OVAs. Speaking of Go Nagai and shows you probably shouldn't watch in public, Re: Cutie Honey from 2004 is one of Gainax's most overlooked shows. If you really want to dig into the depths of scuzzy 80s OVAs, this list has most of the must-watch ones.

In terms of more uh, normal anime, I think Tenchi Muyo is super underrated despite it being huge back in the old toonami days. Sure, it's a harem anime, but it's got a lot of heart and genuinely really great characters (still don't suggest watching the sequel series and OVAs). Outlaw Star is another must-watch from the late 90s. Perfect Blue has been suggested a few times, but Satoshi Kon's TV series Paranoia Agent is also incredible (and pretty short). Magic Knight Rayearth is a series that gets overlooked a lot since a lot of discussion about shojo in the 90s is dominated by Sailor Moon and Utena, but if you're into Clamp's other stuff, you'd be missing out on not watching it. A (tentative) recommendation for more mech action is the various Mobile Suit Gundam series of the time (War In the Pocket, Zeta, and Turn A are personal highlights). Just make sure to watch the Universal Century stuff in order. Speaking of mechs, The Big O is basically what would happen if Bruce Wayne had a big robot, which is fitting since it's made by the teams at Sunrise who worked on Batman: The Animated Series. If you're into comedy Cromartie High School is one of the funniest comedy anime out there, with great dub delivery. I haven't rewatched it recently so ymmv, but I definitely have a nostalgic soft spot for another spoof anime, Excel Saga, too. An honorable mention is the 30-minute-long OVA Nekojiro-sou, based on some of the stories from the manga which I also highly recommend. My last recommendation, since I forgot it up until now, is Boogiepop Phantom. one of my favorite LN adaptations.

Report Reply

Reply by Adahlia

posted

I like evangelion, Dragon ball, hunter x hunter.Ā But my favorites shoujo are Kodomo no Omocha, Gakuen Alice, Marmalade Boy, Aishiteruze Baby :)

I have more that I like, but if I put them all the list would become somewhat long ><

Report Reply

Reply by zacharry

posted
updated

Video Girl Ai (1992)

it's one of those really weird niche anime i don't
see a ton of people talk about, but it has what i consider equal parts 90s cheese and charm. it's pretty cliche and goofy by
today's standards, but it's only 6 episodes, so you won't be at too much
of a loss if you end up not liking it.

NOTE! this show does have 18+ themes and some nudity so keep that in mind if you do plan on watching it.

Video Girl Ai - Pictures - MyAnimeList.net

Report Reply

Reply by šŸ”Œāœ© nepu

posted

digi charat is a cute one ! a comfort anime of mine

Report Reply

Reply by Galestorm

posted

Ā I recommend this series from the 90s called Magic Knight Rayearth. This anime is basically a magical girl anime, an isekai, and a mecha anime all rolled into one. It was made by CLAMP, so the art style is awesome, has great fight scenes and characters, and some good plot twists you wonā€™t see coming. Its 2 seasons long, with 49 episodes total, itā€™s one of my absolute favorites (I also recommend the manga too, itā€™s even more stunning visually and itā€™s only 6 volumes long so itā€™s a quick read)

Report Reply

Reply by Mysterious P4R4D0X

posted

Neon Genesis Evangelion. Its basically a psychological horror disguised as a mech anime.Ā 

Report Reply

Reply by ghostie / apollo

posted

Serial experiments lain and Ouran highschool host club for sure !

Report Reply

Reply by maniā˜†

posted

super gals is really good and super underrated!!

Report Reply

Reply by maniā˜†

posted

super gals is really good and super underrated!!

Report Reply

Reply by Ghost

posted

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040

Saber marionette j
Wicked city (not my fav cause its kind of cheesy but the scenes are awesome and gruesome)
Perfect blue and anything from satoshi konĀ 

Report Reply

Reply by Violette

posted

LUCKY STARRRR one of my all time favs!!!!!! here's the link to its wiki page

Report Reply