« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

Keep the web free, say NO to Web3! [pinned]

Posted by sadgrl.online

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

https://yesterweb.org/no-to-web3/

Click above to read more ^

So you guys have heard of web 1.0 and web 2.0, right? Been wondering about web 3.0? Well...

Web3 is basically big tech's 'proposal' for the future of the internet. Web3 is directly involved in the crypto/NFT hype, which some of the largest corporations in the world are throwing all of their money into at top speed. 

In short it capitalizes on artificial scarcity and forces website users into a 'token economy'. Whoever gets the most tokens gets to say the direction an online company goes in (like Facebook). This is being proposed as a SOLUTION to Facebook, Insta, Twitter, taking over the net. They've acknowledged that it is a problem. 

But it's a really shitty solution. There is absolutely nothing necessary about this. The people pushing this crypto craze are in a position to profit off of the hype. This could get so much worse.

I don't have much else to say about it... but we're working on solutions over at  https://yesterweb.org/ and trying to chart a path AWAY from all of this bs.

Report Topic

73 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Finooo

posted

Cyberpunk is getting realer and realer every day…

Report Reply

Reply by Sukhoi

posted

La verdad las criptomonedas me parece una tecnología interesante pero he tenido algo de cuidado al acercarme a estas ya que cualquier persona puede hacer algo así y muchos de los proyectos que las involucran solo suelen ser para especular con la moneda que para mi es lo mismo que apostar, los unicos proyectos de este tipo que me han llamado la atención son Lbry y utopiaP2p.
Por el tema de WEB 3.0, no creo las criptos y la block chain sean esa gran "actualización", por lo que he escuchado la verdadera WEB 3.0 es la implementación de tecnologías físicas con el internet.
/

The truth is that cryptocurrencies seem like an interesting technology to me, but I have been somewhat careful when approaching them since anyone can do something like this and many of the projects that involve them only tend to be for speculating with the currency, which for me is the same as bet, the only projects of this type that have caught my attention are Lbry and utopiaP2p.

Regarding WEB 3.0, I do not believe cryptocurrencies and the block chain are that great "update", from what I have heard the true WEB 3.0 is the implementation of physical technologies with the Internet.

Report Reply

Reply by whoah

posted

This is a classic case of oldie suits mispredicting whats a good idea and whats a total sham thats gonna burst soon, the crypto bubble WILL burst soon and these doofuses will have lost a fat chunk of change.

The public opinion on nfts and blockchain tech is dire and met with ridicule online and uproarious laughter when the community fucks up

Report Reply

Reply by The Newspeak Corporation

posted

As each day passes, the predator class is trying to slowly push closer to the ultimate digital control grid. It is bad now but could be so much worse. Do not buy anything "smart" that does not need to be. Do not buy ring bells. do not buy most of this shit. Already we are being put in facial recognition databases without consent, because our laws are intentionnaly behind the technilogical curve, allowing companies to harvest all types of personal data that lies in a grey area or gets slipped into terms and conditions when it has nothing to do with the product. yea fuck web3 for sure. 

Report Reply

Reply by wired.knight

posted

Can we just not with this crypto shit im so tired of crypto bros and greedy corpo people overrunning the internet 

Report Reply

Reply by Hallucigenia

posted

capitalism seems to ruin everything fun 

Report Reply

Reply by bloxxer

posted

It just seems like something the cryptobros will play with for like, 5 months and then leave in the dust for something else to circlejerk with. On the bright side, it's being acknowledged.

Report Reply

Reply by fluffle

posted

it just sounds so... boring? the whole allure of the internet is its abundance of content... why would they want to force a scarcity into an environment that does well without it? obviously we know the answer ($$$) but i feel like tech bros can already make money if they have a good idea. seems like the mediocre ones are the ones pushing this, because they lack the creativity/intelligence to create something that would make money

Report Reply

Reply by alex

posted

Sounds interesting

Report Reply

Reply by Jason Anderson

posted

MeWe Joining the Web3 and Blockchain. Another less Social site for me. 

Report Reply

Reply by Swegdude69

posted

This is actually good you fucking dumbasses yes it takes away some shit but idk check,y profile to see pictures of my cat

Report Reply

Reply by Pony Boy (Official)

posted

It's so fascinating how on the subject of whaling and adopters because more or less 6 years ago at some marketing summit this very concept was first debuted to the world. Though not many understand it. Because in the past you'd have capital investors or private funds to pay for these projects now it's just trust fund babies with too much money and blindly following the next fad.

There's a reason why Silicon Valley and major tech industries overhire. There's thousands of projects with the future of Web3. But so far it looks like they're gonna squeeze subscription services, microtransactions into every corner. And that's what I don't dig about this whole race to web3 supremacy. Greedy bastards are exploring new tech, this is why your data is worth so much money. (Cambridge Analytica Scandal)

Report Reply

Reply by linderonline

posted

Reply by 21th Century Girl

posted

man im totally with you omg how i hate web3! just want to stay here with people like me and i really hope we find a good solution to this

Report Reply

Reply by cryptic

posted

imo web3 is actually scary, like i do not want to spend my entire life through some metaverse goggles or smth

Report Reply

Reply by Dylan

posted

Pretty sure everyone except Zuckerberg understands that the Metaverse is 100% not the future of the internet

Report Reply

Reply by INACTIVE BECAUSE LAZY

posted

Bro I fucking hate Web3  

We shall protect the environment at all costs so the earth doesn't explode!!!

Report Reply

Reply by mara

posted

it's fucked that this is the first i've heard of it.

Report Reply

Reply by Macintosh

posted

I don't like this Bitcoin stuff it's very boring  

Report Reply

Reply by lem.iso

posted

firstly: big tech is not supporting the conception of a "web3". that goes completely against what they, and the government, want to turn the internet into.

in order to maintain control over its users and content, the internet needs to still be centralised but sustained through user-produced content ("web2"). web3 as a concept collapses in on itself due to its vagueness. who hosts websites if everything is decentralised? can we not use social media anymore, because its "centralised" around a singular platform? the only thing that really holds up in the web3 argument (and, unsurprisingly, is what the concept stemmed from) is the blockchain. which, as you can see here is already hemorrhaging money.

in order to actually come anywhere near a true "web3" experience, we would need to advance technology by like 20 years. you are putting fear into people with this stuff. don't worry, web3 is a complete joke of an idea and a fad that will die out in a few years. let the cryptobros waste all their money for being morons. web3 poses no threat to the current state of the internet as it is ultimately unsustainable in the long term.

tldr: if you didn't invest in crypto 10+ years ago, don't bother. stick to something actually tangible. web3 is hilarious

Report Reply

Reply by ~Ime~

posted

NFT? Hell nah. 

Report Reply

Reply by Jason Anderson

posted

Crypto and NFTs are bunch of scams plus it's blockchain. No Thanks! It's a Beast System (Dahboo7 Always Says) 

Report Reply

Reply by Jin

posted

I honestly hated cryto and ntfs to begin with. ntfs was stealing other arts or mass proudcuing picrews basically, investing in stuff that has no use, the fact they still trying to push this is annyoingಠ╭╮ಠ. I honestly fully support this moment but we need more big platforms or our voices wont be heardヽ(≧□≦)ノ. i honestly think people here has good opinions we need a radio station lol( •̀ ω •́ )✧

Report Reply

Reply by Oval0ctal3ne

posted

Safe to say, that it became a big money-sink for all those involved and that it imploded as it rightfully should have.Right?

Shame it gave those worms the idea for it though. Get ready to see similar proposals and directions from ´´people´´ and companies that want to push this abomination now.

Report Reply

Reply by Jessi

posted

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Really want to stay informed about all of this. Def looking more into it. 

Report Reply

Reply by ibavider

posted

i have no idea how cryptobros don't understand that nfts are a massive scam

Report Reply

Reply by ღ 𝓷𝓮𝓱𝓲𝓻 ღ

posted

its like capitalism but for the internet!! :((

Report Reply

Reply by Ghastly

posted

speaking of which, i think i mentioned this on my own site, there´s this anti-NFT project called Extremely Funginble Tokens

Basically artist provide jpgs for free for personal use, as avatars or whatever. 

As a joke I collected some of them and displayed them on a gallery on my site.

I think it would be cool if people took this as an inspiration and make a similar project.

The pompabear series in particular is one of my favorites, really cute, might use one as a avatar somewhere

Report Reply

Reply by Mementrepreneur

posted

I love this hot take!

Report Reply

Reply by HOUDINI Magazine

posted

I've been spreading the word about sites like this and neocities hard lately. 

Report Reply

Reply by delicious2003

posted
updated

I'll launch a social bookmarking website as a del.icio.us rework. If someone is interested you can join the Spacehey group which I'll create. There you will find any information regarding that.

Report Reply

Reply by Rafael

posted

Because if you forget your passphrase your account is gone. Or someone could get a hold of your security phrase, making it someone else's property. Google offers ways to recover your account.

This is a fundamental mistake of data ownership. Many people want to be their own bank, but don't know how to keep their money safe. Many people want to own their data, but have no idea how to own it. Humans are quite forgetful. One will always slip up, one day. And without alternative means to recover credentials, important information can be lost forever.

I do not like Google, but I do let another privacy-oriented company host my e-mail. Because I know it's a pain to host e-mail myself. Paying a bit of money saves me headaches, provides reliable service and makes sure my private information is safe, not sold.

Report Reply

Reply by Johnytiger | New Music Video Out Now!

posted

it's not supposed to be about the money but the tech behind it. just as if you were logging in using a google account why not use a metamask and have proof in the palm of my hands that that's my account instead of google holding all my private information

Report Reply

Reply by XxkamiXbeatsxX

posted

Web 3 is failing hard rn. 

Web 2 was just an natural evolution of web 1, better technology and people making sites they wanted to to exist. 

On the other hand web 3 is corporations trying to force something into existence based on what would benefit them the most. Crypto is crashing, nfts are worthless and the metaverse is a joke because it was all built on hype created by big Tech in hopes that people would accept it. 

Report Reply

OMFG sadgrl.online!! I remember reading ur manifesto some time ago .. I'm so stoked to join this group + spacehey. FUCKYEAH! Excited to browse the group and find other ppl's little portals ! (what i call my site!) Long Live OldWeb!

Report Reply

Reply by Rafael

posted

Reply by Mason

posted

They always talk about "digital scarcity" if you really want a scarce digital asset but some IPv4 ranges

Report Reply

Reply by Rafael

posted

Added the button to my profile when I came across it on another profile. Thanks! The best part is when someone in the cult tells me that I "don't understand". Oh, I understand the technology perfectly fine. I understand finance too. And I also understand it's horribly inefficient and no sane person should use it.

Even if Web 3.0 wasn't problematic, for something that has been out for so long it sure isn't adopted as quickly as the World Wide Web (so cryptobros, you can stop comparing it to that now, thanks). Even calling this crypto-nonsense 'Web 3.0' just feels offensive to me. We can do without it. Glad a lot of people here feel the same way!

Report Reply

Reply by 𝔽ꋬ꒒ꉔꄲꋪ꒐ꋬꋊ

posted

WEB 3 IS FOR CAPITALIST SCUM

via GIPHY

Report Reply

Reply by 𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚜

posted

web 3.0 is just all trial bull shit and paid service subscriptions. totally bs

Report Reply

Reply by taotm07

posted

Web 3.0 is kinda stupid, isn't web 2.0 cool enough? It has tons of cool stuff why is this crypto stuff necessary nowadays

Report Reply

Reply by ifdproductions

posted

Reply by Ben

posted

I don't really know. Everything in the web is paid for either by money or your time ie watching more less consciously ads which in turn modify your behavior to buy stuff. I can't really see what NFTs or crypto besides the classical ones like BitCoin, Eth could contribute to profit.

Report Reply

Reply by tin …⁠ᘛ⁠⁐̤⁠ᕐ⁠ᐷ

posted
updated

it's almost amazing how people come up with shit as dumb and dangerous as this. it gets even worse when you realize that some people want bs like to this to happen in the real world (fuck Web3!)

Report Reply

Reply by Monty!

posted

Honestly, i don't even know how the "cryptobros" are even interested in a jpg of a monkey.

1.- It destroys the enviroment
2.-It costs more than a kidney(sometimes)
3.-It has no use other than "being there, i guess"

(im not saying that they deserved for the ETH crash,but  they kinda did.)
Lets save the planet and keep the web free! :P

Report Reply

Reply by shortcakebaby

posted

NFTs and crypto make 0 sense to me whatsoever. They're not helping anyone, it's just a way for rich people to get richer and it's honestly just stupid?????? Horrible for the environment too. Even if people are trying to make "eco-friendly" NFTs and crypto, there's still the issue that it's just not helping anyone?

Report Reply

Reply by riyu c:

posted

Ewiez!!!1!! NFTs make no sense in speckl'z head x3
Say no to WEB3!!1!!!1

Report Reply

Reply by olympian

posted

We will have to see where it goes. As long as the old net is around in some shape I don't mind

Report Reply

Reply by Deleted User

posted

Wouldn't decentralized protocols such as mastadon, hubzilla, and diaspora count as web3.0 protocols? I have zero issues with a protocol based social networks like the ones i listed above hell i have profiles on those services already. Before anyone asks no i don't want my profile on this service linked with my profiles on those services. I don't know I'm liking the sound of some of the web 3.0 stuff, i wouldn't take the package deal, but then again defining web3.0 has been very difficult because i cannot pin down a single source of what it even is.

Report Reply

Reply by Tarentaze

posted

I dislike how Web3 went from just p2p html/php and wanting to bring back the personality of the old web to blockchain crypto hell.

Report Reply