« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

Keep the web free, say NO to Web3! [pinned]

Posted by sadgrl.online

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

https://yesterweb.org/no-to-web3/

Click above to read more ^

So you guys have heard of web 1.0 and web 2.0, right? Been wondering about web 3.0? Well...

Web3 is basically big tech's 'proposal' for the future of the internet. Web3 is directly involved in the crypto/NFT hype, which some of the largest corporations in the world are throwing all of their money into at top speed. 

In short it capitalizes on artificial scarcity and forces website users into a 'token economy'. Whoever gets the most tokens gets to say the direction an online company goes in (like Facebook). This is being proposed as a SOLUTION to Facebook, Insta, Twitter, taking over the net. They've acknowledged that it is a problem. 

But it's a really shitty solution. There is absolutely nothing necessary about this. The people pushing this crypto craze are in a position to profit off of the hype. This could get so much worse.

I don't have much else to say about it... but we're working on solutions over at  https://yesterweb.org/ and trying to chart a path AWAY from all of this bs.

Report Topic

73 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by V Holeček Art

posted

going to have to save this to read later

Report Reply

Reply by NathanDarkson984

posted

Probably have to keep an eye on this

Fuck NTFs and fuck Cryptochodes.

Report Reply

Reply by THE ▌ᴀᴛҠӀИԌ▐ OF SPACEHEY

posted

Hey look its another new flashy toy that the cryptobros will wank themselves silly with (and every sane person will distance from as far away as possible)

But seriously, Web3 looks like something I'd come up with if I was 12 and found crypto Reddit.

Report Reply

Reply by Crash Test Dummy!1

posted
updated

i read abt it on the yesterwebs discord, do you have any advice on what we can do to help the situation.

Report Reply

Reply by ~*flytillidie*~

posted
updated

it’s weird! it literally sounds like private property extended to digital spaces. they emphasize ownership so much 

Report Reply

Reply by sadgrl.online

posted
updated

For anyone wanting to know how they can help:

As of right now, I'm still trying to figure out what we CAN do. For right now, you can join the Discord server that I have linked on my profile. This is where we are having good discussions about the internet and what we, as a community could potentially be capable of, for fighting against the ideals that encompass Web3. No one person can really do much, but as a group we are stronger, and this is something I care very much about!

Report Reply

Reply by Insignia

posted

idk too much about web3, but ive heard someone mention that you will habe some sort of ID almost like a wallet, where people could blacklist your ID and basicaly prevent you from using the surface web.

at this point, if its made by a big tech company, we can guarantee that its bad for freedom, consumers and the free market, and will solely exist to benefit the oligarchs and the government

Report Reply

Reply by Aldroghar

posted

As someone both in the crypto/NFT space and in the Yesterweb space, this is a very interesting dichotomy to witness.

Crypto/NFT spaces, and therefore web3, are supported by the weakest link in the chain too (your average consumer and NFT buyer) because NFTs return power to the creators by removing outside interests, who pressure the creator to do something they want, AND give power to the owners of the art (token) through token initiatives like DAOs.

DAO example: every token (literal tokens, or NFTs corresponding to a given value in tokens) grants you a certain amount of points. A proposal is given, for example, should we create a new purple NFT? And then the community votes on it.
Also keep in mind that the ''regular'' (meaning not Bored Ape) NFTs aren't that expensive, so getting more isn't about being a 1% capitalist trillionaire, it's mostly about your own choice to put a few thousand dollars into a single project. If you do you could get a literal payoff, as it is an investment - your shares give you more control in the further happenings. The creators could move on to the next project and leave the one with the DAO to be community-handled (while still getting royalties from all transactions)

While yes, if it catches on corporations will completely distort and ruin this system, for now it seems pretty healthy and feasible.

Report Reply

Reply by Aldroghar

posted

And one more thing: all the corporations aren't dropping all their money in crypto/NFTs at full speed. It's still a very niche space with mostly community funding and a few big whales leading the charge, notably Elon Musk and the president of El Salvador. They might be investing in Bitcoin for the speculation, meaning to flip it to earn quick cash doing nothing, but otherwise nothing of value is being built on the blockchain by these big corporations. The only thing I could tell you recently is that Tesla made some merch buyable with Dogecoin, but that again ties to one of the few mega rich people inovlved with crypto at all.

Report Reply

Reply by Aldroghar

posted

And one more thing: all the corporations aren't dropping all their money in crypto/NFTs at full speed. It's still a very niche space with mostly community funding and a few big whales leading the charge, notably Elon Musk and the president of El Salvador. They might be investing in Bitcoin for the speculation, meaning to flip it to earn quick cash doing nothing, but otherwise nothing of value is being built on the blockchain by these big corporations. The only thing I could tell you recently is that Tesla made some merch buyable with Dogecoin, but that again ties to one of the few mega rich people inovlved with crypto at all.

Report Reply

Reply by lime360

posted

I heard that there were a lot of memes about screenshotting ugly NFT art, which makes NFT artists angry as hell.

and, yeah...

(furry artists are better than nft artists)

Report Reply

Reply by alex

posted
updated

The whole point of a decentralized internet (like Web 3.0) is to remove the power from big tech corps like Facebook and Google. If you guys focused more on the actual technology and less on the twitter NFT cringelords you would understand how it could be used to bring about a better internet. If you guys want me to explain how it could be used for good please ask me.

Report Reply

Reply by 𝓐𝓵𝓮𝔁𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪

posted

@alex: the best way to get involved is to start yourself! build a site with a tutorial and/or explain your concept on your own site and share with the group. we have to contribute individually to make the internet better, too.

Report Reply

Reply by alex

posted

@alexandra: ok good idea, thanks

Report Reply

Reply by gothking454

posted

Do you know about ESG and its role in changing technology? ESG is a set of criteria that lendors and investors use to decide who to give money to. Many of the changes to how the web works, and technology in general (down to the CPU level) are driven by the desires of investors and creditors.

Moody sums it up in this presentation about cybersecurity, from 27:28 - 28:00

So if you are wondering why technology is getting increasingly locked down, and why the web is shrinking, you may find answers by learning about ESG.

Report Reply

Reply by Sien

posted
updated

NFTS can suck my ‏̵̭̊‏̴̹͗̈‎̴̙͑ ̸̗̔‎̸̬̿̕‏̴͎̦̀̿‏̵͈̥͐‎̷̨̽̿ ̴̩̾͘‎̵͎̒‏̵̮̑͝‏̷͖̫̊‎̵̤͌͐ ̶͍͆͝ͅ‎̴̱͉̽̕‏̴͕̾̔‏̵̗̒‎̸̟̫̍̃ ̷̘́ͅ‎̴̝̞̆͗ (but shouldnt)

Report Reply

Reply by natalie

posted

its scary to think about for me triggers something

Report Reply

Reply by Kain

posted

I think at this point everyone who's tired of of Facebook, Twitter and NFTs we all need to delete our accounts and let these sites burn. Same goes with YouTube their about to start promoting NFTs as well. These sites have been here for too fucking long and have made shit worse for consumers.

Report Reply

Reply by anne

posted

fuck nfts

Report Reply

Reply by ~Ime~

posted

I do invest in Crypto, but I am highly disgusted by NFTs....is like cancer.

If this is their plan, then is a horrible choice. Yikes.

Report Reply

Reply by Duffin

posted

I’m going to have to start paying $60 to access the WWW each time?

Report Reply

Reply by Sil <3 (she/they)

posted

NFTs are weird.. you can literally just screenshot it. "ThAt'S nOt HoW iT wOrKs" IDC why would anyone in their right mind spend money on an image when you can just screenshot it...

Report Reply

Reply by ☆MjHash☆

posted

Fuck NFTs 

we don't need crypto centralized either.  

Report Reply

Reply by Tarentaze

posted

I dislike how Web3 went from just p2p html/php and wanting to bring back the personality of the old web to blockchain crypto hell.

Report Reply

Reply by Deleted User

posted

Wouldn't decentralized protocols such as mastadon, hubzilla, and diaspora count as web3.0 protocols? I have zero issues with a protocol based social networks like the ones i listed above hell i have profiles on those services already. Before anyone asks no i don't want my profile on this service linked with my profiles on those services. I don't know I'm liking the sound of some of the web 3.0 stuff, i wouldn't take the package deal, but then again defining web3.0 has been very difficult because i cannot pin down a single source of what it even is.

Report Reply

Reply by olympian

posted

We will have to see where it goes. As long as the old net is around in some shape I don't mind

Report Reply

Reply by riyu c:

posted

Ewiez!!!1!! NFTs make no sense in speckl'z head x3
Say no to WEB3!!1!!!1

Report Reply

Reply by dumbb1tchboyxoxo

posted

NFTs and crypto make 0 sense to me whatsoever. They're not helping anyone, it's just a way for rich people to get richer and it's honestly just stupid?????? Horrible for the environment too. Even if people are trying to make "eco-friendly" NFTs and crypto, there's still the issue that it's just not helping anyone?

Report Reply

Reply by Monty!

posted

Honestly, i don't even know how the "cryptobros" are even interested in a jpg of a monkey.

1.- It destroys the enviroment
2.-It costs more than a kidney(sometimes)
3.-It has no use other than "being there, i guess"

(im not saying that they deserved for the ETH crash,but  they kinda did.)
Lets save the planet and keep the web free! :P

Report Reply

Reply by tin …⁠ᘛ⁠⁐̤⁠ᕐ⁠ᐷ

posted
updated

it's almost amazing how people come up with shit as dumb and dangerous as this. it gets even worse when you realize that some people want bs like to this to happen in the real world (fuck Web3!)

Report Reply

Reply by Ben

posted

I don't really know. Everything in the web is paid for either by money or your time ie watching more less consciously ads which in turn modify your behavior to buy stuff. I can't really see what NFTs or crypto besides the classical ones like BitCoin, Eth could contribute to profit.

Report Reply

Reply by ifdproductions

posted

Reply by taotm07

posted

Web 3.0 is kinda stupid, isn't web 2.0 cool enough? It has tons of cool stuff why is this crypto stuff necessary nowadays

Report Reply

Reply by 𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚜

posted

web 3.0 is just all trial bull shit and paid service subscriptions. totally bs

Report Reply

Reply by 𝔽ꋬ꒒ꉔꄲꋪ꒐ꋬꋊ

posted

WEB 3 IS FOR CAPITALIST SCUM

via GIPHY

Report Reply

Reply by Rafael

posted

Added the button to my profile when I came across it on another profile. Thanks! The best part is when someone in the cult tells me that I "don't understand". Oh, I understand the technology perfectly fine. I understand finance too. And I also understand it's horribly inefficient and no sane person should use it.

Even if Web 3.0 wasn't problematic, for something that has been out for so long it sure isn't adopted as quickly as the World Wide Web (so cryptobros, you can stop comparing it to that now, thanks). Even calling this crypto-nonsense 'Web 3.0' just feels offensive to me. We can do without it. Glad a lot of people here feel the same way!

Report Reply

Reply by Mason

posted

They always talk about "digital scarcity" if you really want a scarce digital asset but some IPv4 ranges

Report Reply

Reply by Rafael

posted

OMFG sadgrl.online!! I remember reading ur manifesto some time ago .. I'm so stoked to join this group + spacehey. FUCKYEAH! Excited to browse the group and find other ppl's little portals ! (what i call my site!) Long Live OldWeb!

Report Reply

Reply by XxkamiXbeatsxX

posted

Web 3 is failing hard rn. 

Web 2 was just an natural evolution of web 1, better technology and people making sites they wanted to to exist. 

On the other hand web 3 is corporations trying to force something into existence based on what would benefit them the most. Crypto is crashing, nfts are worthless and the metaverse is a joke because it was all built on hype created by big Tech in hopes that people would accept it. 

Report Reply

Reply by Johnytiger | New Music Video Out Now!

posted

it's not supposed to be about the money but the tech behind it. just as if you were logging in using a google account why not use a metamask and have proof in the palm of my hands that that's my account instead of google holding all my private information

Report Reply

Reply by Rafael

posted

Because if you forget your passphrase your account is gone. Or someone could get a hold of your security phrase, making it someone else's property. Google offers ways to recover your account.

This is a fundamental mistake of data ownership. Many people want to be their own bank, but don't know how to keep their money safe. Many people want to own their data, but have no idea how to own it. Humans are quite forgetful. One will always slip up, one day. And without alternative means to recover credentials, important information can be lost forever.

I do not like Google, but I do let another privacy-oriented company host my e-mail. Because I know it's a pain to host e-mail myself. Paying a bit of money saves me headaches, provides reliable service and makes sure my private information is safe, not sold.

Report Reply

Reply by delicious2003

posted
updated

I'll launch a social bookmarking website as a del.icio.us rework. If someone is interested you can join the Spacehey group which I'll create. There you will find any information regarding that.

Report Reply

Reply by HOUDINI Magazine

posted

I've been spreading the word about sites like this and neocities hard lately. 

Report Reply

Reply by Mementrepreneur

posted

I love this hot take!

Report Reply

Reply by Ghastly

posted

speaking of which, i think i mentioned this on my own site, there´s this anti-NFT project called Extremely Funginble Tokens

Basically artist provide jpgs for free for personal use, as avatars or whatever. 

As a joke I collected some of them and displayed them on a gallery on my site.

I think it would be cool if people took this as an inspiration and make a similar project.

The pompabear series in particular is one of my favorites, really cute, might use one as a avatar somewhere

Report Reply

Reply by ღ 𝓷𝓮𝓱𝓲𝓻 ღ

posted

its like capitalism but for the internet!! :((

Report Reply

Reply by ibavider

posted

i have no idea how cryptobros don't understand that nfts are a massive scam

Report Reply

Reply by Jessi

posted

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Really want to stay informed about all of this. Def looking more into it. 

Report Reply

Reply by Oval0ctal3ne

posted

Safe to say, that it became a big money-sink for all those involved and that it imploded as it rightfully should have.Right?

Shame it gave those worms the idea for it though. Get ready to see similar proposals and directions from ´´people´´ and companies that want to push this abomination now.

Report Reply