« Dreams and the Supernatural Forum

Sleep Paralysis? Supernatural Experience? Something Else?

Hey, all!
I'd like to share a story talking spooky experience I had many years ago that I still can't fully explain.

Sometime in 5th grade...

I had woken up a couple of hours before my alarm for school was set to go off. I knew this because I had glanced at my clock that had glow-in-the-dark minute+hour hands. 
It was dark. Not pitch black but dark enough to barely see much of anything in my room.

I was about to go back to sleep but suddenly something at my bedroom door caught my eye. It seemed as if a tall, shadowy figure had entered my room. Its silhouette resembled that of media's typical depiction of the Grim Reaper. 

Rather than opening my door using the doorknob, it phased through my door like a ghost. It then started walking toward my night stand. I was half asleep and couldn't get myself to move or speak. I didn't know if I was dreaming. It must have been, right? Sleep paralysis, perhaps? If it was, I wouldn't have known it since this was before I was familiar with the concept. 

If the shadowy figure would have just done that then disappeared, I would have been able to easily brush it off as a dream. However, it did something a little more elaborate than that.

Once the shadowy figure got to my nightstand, it turned its attention to my alarm clock. It reached out behind my clock and turned off my alarm. Again, it could have just been a dream or sleep paralysis. However, my alarm clock at the time had a switch that you'd flick to set/turn off the alarm. When you flicked the switch, it would make a small click sound. I distinctly remember hearing the click when the shadowy figure turned off my alarm.

By the way, while I can't find a picture of the exact alarm I had, here's one that looks similar:

After it turned my alarm off, it slowly walked back toward the door. Much like how it entered, it  left by phasing through the door instead of opening it with the doorknob. Afterwards, I finally fell back asleep.

As expected, my alarm didn't go off and I woke up a bit late. Now that I was awake, I came to the conclusion that it must have been my mom who came into my room earlier and I was just too tired to realize it. She was getting ready for work. I asked my mom if she had come into my room this morning and she said she hadn't gone into my room at all since waking up. I told her what had happened and she brushed it off as me having a weird dream.

To this day, I still can't decide if it was sleep paralysis or a supernatural experience. It's most likely the former. However, I distinctly remember setting my alarm the night before and hearing the switch being flicked to turned it off. Maybe it WAS a ghost or spirit trying to make me late for school. Who knows?

What do you think it could have been? 
Let me know your thoughts and thank you for checking out this post!

Have a lovely evening ~

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ⛧.TROY B.⛧

posted

I'd swing heavily toward sleep paralysis. Hallucinations during an episode can be more than just visual. They can be auditory, you might even smell things you see and feel things touching you. Its your brain doing its job trying to interpret what you see and make it make sense. 

It's possible your alarm just wasn't set, and the whole episode surrounded your alarm clock because you were acutely aware of it as the episode began. Kind of like a snowball effect.

Report Reply

Reply by Ducky Deathly™️

posted

@ Troy B

That makes a lot of sense. Nowadays I do occasionally have auditory hallucinations while falling asleep. It even sometimes happens when I’m just waking up in the morning and my brain is shifting back into reality. I once woke up thinking there was an earthquake happening but realized there wasn’t one at all.
A strange but interesting phenomenon, that’s for sure

Thank you for your input ^_^

Report Reply

Reply by Robot

posted

1. I was not aware of the lights at the end of the school building until my teacher told us. I don't think that was the first thing she told us.

The next thing I remember is being told "I'm going to be the first person to get a flashlight. And if I get it I'm going to have a blast. So don't be a fool."

2. My teacher told me "it is possible you will be the first person in the room with an umbrella and you can go in and see the lights."

This was my first experience of the flashlight in a classroom. I was not aware it would have a light.

The next thing I remembered was being informed by another person that I could be in the bathroom with the flashlight and they would not let me in. I didn't know that was true at the time.

3. I remember that my parents told my teacher that they had been "sitting in my car" while they were doing a test and she was trying to get me to go in and look at it, but she had to go to her office because she was too busy to get to my car. I was told I could get a light in my car if my mom told her I would get in and get my homework done. She was so mad she couldn't get out of bed and was trying so hard to keep the lights out of the window. She told her that she could get my flashlight in the office if my mom said I was in the car.

4. My mother said to me "it's just that we can't get a flashlight out of the car and you have to take the light from the windows to your car."

She told me that I had been sitting in her car with my dad.

My dad was the one who was in the bathroom when I was being told that it was possible that my parents would get a flashlight out.

Report Reply