« Food and Restaurants Forum

food allergies/restrictions and substitutions

Let's get a thread going for allergies and substitutes for said allergies/restrictions!

What are you allergic to and how do you substitute for that substance in recipes/when you order food?

Do you have any dietary restrictions? Are you vegan/vegetarian/paleo? (No keto talk here, it's a terribly dangerous fad and I don't want more people to start doing it.)

I'll start, I'm a type 1 diabetic that is allergic to eggs and dairy.

My substitutes for eggs are pretty vast - I've used unsweetened applesauce, banana, baking soda/vinegar, and agar agar in baking. For cakes/bread that require eggs, I have found that agar agar works best.

For dairy subs I usually use unsweetened soy milk because it's the most neutral milk I've found! It's easy to mask the flavor of soy in savory cooking, and baking tastes great with it!

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by necromancer

posted
updated

I'm always vegan and almost always WFPB although I do drink & eat junk food socially. I don't think of "substitutions," plant ingredients are just as good if not better in their own right to meet nutritional needs.

Report Reply

Reply by scourgu!

posted

keto is not dangerous, it just doesnt work for you specifically because you’re type 1, im type 2 and its literally saving my life

Report Reply

Reply by anumotwani

posted

Lower hazard food groups meet the requirements of the Food
Act 2014 by working a National Programme. 먹튀검증
You are required to check in your enterprise, meet the food protection
requirements, maintain a few facts, and feature your meals programme validated
to make sure you're generating secure and appropriate food. 

Report Reply

Reply by payyourcell

posted

Food allergies and dietary restrictions are common considerations when planning meals. It's essential to be aware of these restrictions to ensure that everyone can enjoy a meal safely. Here are some common food allergies and dietary restrictions, along with possible substitutions:

1. Gluten-Free:

• Common Allergens: Wheat, barley, rye
  • Substitutions: Use gluten-free flours (e.g., rice flour, almond flour), gluten-free pasta, and naturally gluten-free grains like rice, quinoa, and oats (certified gluten-free).

2. Dairy-Free:

• Common Allergens: Milk, cheese, yogurt
  • Substitutions: Use non-dairy milk (almond, soy, coconut), dairy-free cheese, and yogurt alternatives made from coconut or almond.

3. Nut-Free:

• Common Allergens: Peanuts, tree nuts (e.g., almonds, walnuts)
  • Substitutions: Sunflower seed butter, soy nut butter, and seeds (e.g., sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds) can replace nuts in many recipes.

4. Egg-Free:

• Common Allergen: Eggs
  • Substitutions: Unsweetened applesauce, mashed bananas, yogurt, or commercial egg replacers can be used in baking. Tofu can be a substitute in some savory dishes.

5. Shellfish and Fish Allergies:

• Common Allergens: Shrimp, crab, lobster, various fish
  • Substitutions: When recipes call for seafood, consider using alternatives like tofu, tempeh, or plant-based seafood substitutes.

6. Vegan:

• Dietary Restriction: No animal products (meat, dairy, eggs)
  • Substitutions: Use plant-based ingredients like tofu, tempeh, legumes, and vegetables as the main sources of protein. Substitute dairy and eggs with non-dairy and egg-free options.

7. Vegetarian:

• Dietary Restriction: No meat or fish, but dairy and eggs are included
  • Substitutions: Incorporate a variety of plant-based proteins such as legumes, nuts, and seeds.

8. Paleo:

• Dietary Restriction: Emphasizes whole foods, avoiding processed items, grains, and legumes
  • Substitutions: Focus on meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds while avoiding grains and legumes.

9. Keto:

• Dietary Restriction: Low-carb, high-fat diet
  • Substitutions: Choose low-carb vegetables, healthy fats, and high-quality proteins while minimizing carbs.

10. Halal/Kosher:
- Dietary Restriction: Adherence to specific religious dietary laws
- Substitutions: Ensure that all ingredients and food products adhere to the respective religious dietary guidelines.

11. Low-Sodium:
- Dietary Restriction: Restriction of sodium (salt)
- Substitutions: Use herbs, spices, and salt-free seasoning blends for flavor. Fresh foods and homemade meals are often lower in sodium.

When accommodating food allergies or dietary restrictions, always communicate with guests or diners to understand their specific needs. Check food labels for allergen information and cross-contamination risks. Additionally, consider offering a variety of dishes to cater to different dietary requirements, so everyone can enjoy the meal safely and deliciously.

Report Reply

Reply by baboonbiddy

posted

I'm always vegan and almost always WFPB although I do drink & eat junk food socially. I don't think of "substitutions," plant ingredients are just as good if not better in their own right to meet nutritional needs.
doodle jump

Report Reply

Reply by xenon

posted

i have acid reflux which means my body rejects all citrus, all coffee, all tea, most dairy, all spicy food, and all greasy/oily/fried food

i usually drink almond milk and eat non dairy frozen desserts. i drink mango, apple, and peach juice instead of lemonade or orange juice. i didn't like spicy food in the first place so im kinda glad that my body doesn't like it. when i go out to eat, because I live in the usa, usually the only thing i can eat without feeling awful is in the dessert section. surprisingly enough i can have cake and cookies, but not fries. there are a few things i can eat at some restaurants though. wendy's has a cheese and bacon potato and silver diner has chicken noodle soup. i try to eat inside my house as much as possible to avoid any fried foods

Report Reply

Reply by

posted

I'm sure your tips will be incredibly helpful for fellow type 1 diabetics with egg and dairy allergies. Using unsweetened applesauce, banana, baking soda/vinegar, and agar agar as egg substitutes in baking is a clever approach. Agar agar for cakes and bread sounds intriguing!
Also, if you're interested in adding a unique flavor and nutritional boost to your dishes, you might want to explore mushroom blend powder. It can add depth and umami to your recipes while providing various health benefits.
Thanks for sharing your insights, and let's keep this thread going to help others with their allergies and dietary needs!

Report Reply