« News and Politics Forum

Preferred independent media outlet(s)?

Posted by Soy Boy LaCroix

posted
updated

Forum: News and Politics

Hey, y’all! Who do you folks follow for your day to day news? When it comes to the headlines and basic news commentary, I’m pretty partial to Democracy Now and The Majority Report with Sam Seder (left is best and all that). I follow way too many leftist podcasts, YouTube channels, and other educational/news projects to list eVeRyThInG I happen to watch/listen to now and then, and I don’t want to stymie folks from chiming in with voices and perspectives they find helpful and informative which I’m totally clueless about. I’m happy to talk about content over private message, or in this thread if folks take an interest, though!

However, if someone sincerely cites InfoWars, PragerU, the Daily Wire or somesuch nonsense I am not going to be nice to you, just for fair warning. 

happy belated valentine’s day / anniversary of james cook’s righteous execution

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by xX emo_walsh Xx

posted

The onion is pretty good. Haven’t found anything more accurate

Report Reply

Reply by geekout

posted
updated

I have a blog at https://softnews33.wordpress.com/ that I tried to turn into one of those blogs that reposts stories. It's failed, but it has a pretty good blogroll with various leftist/left-ish news sources. I still post there when I can.

It's missing several, because I didn't feel like putting up the Intercept and Grayzone. Everyone knows them. Whatever.

I'm not trying to signal boost the left version of "World News Tonight". The end result of reading that is usually a night of armchair quarterbacking over shit we have zero effect on. (If you're elite enough to have impact on those things, great. Read it, agitate, etc. If you want to be like that, go for it. Get into politics. Work in the political ops of a union.)

I think the more interesting stories are from regular people, active left troublemakers, street level intellectuals. I also think history's interesting, so that'll get int he feed too.

I listen to a few podcasts, but the main one I <3 is the Antifada. I like when they talk some ultraleft theory, or any theory. It's fun and funny.

The other podcasts are Chapo Trap House - sometimes good, but usually annoying; The Axe Files - pisses me off a lot, but it's insider talk between elitists; Security Now - apolitical update on how your computer will f u; 538 - more insider talk; Code Switch - has its moments.

Report Reply

Reply by cisco

posted

check out breakthrough news!

Report Reply

Reply by LJ

posted

Check out means.tv! They're worker owned and offer a pay-what-you-can subscription.

Report Reply

Reply by XiJinping

posted

I've dabbled with Democracy Now and NPR, but generally I don't follow a lot of independent media. Mainly it's BBC World News and Al Jazeera. I just want to know what's happening when it happens. I'm Canadian (in Toronto), so my alarm clock plays the radio every morning. For that, I'll listen to CBC Radio 1 for the news also.

Report Reply

Reply by 707

posted

AllSides is a good outlet for US news that provides links to articles across the political spectrum :3

Report Reply

Reply by Dennis

posted

A really good outlet is Timcast. Which actually tries to do some reporting. 

Report Reply