« Movies, TV, Celebrities Forum

Horror Movies

Do horror movies actually scare you? Because I find it wild that some people really get scared by them I literally go watch them to laugh

Report Topic

37 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Ed College

posted

I don't get scared but don't watch them to laugh either. I just enjoy the tension that horror gives. 

My sisters 26 year old boyfriend hadn't seen a horror movie until I made him watch Scream on Halloween. He was freaking out the whole time so it was fun to share that, and we got him to sit and watch some more intense stuff like The Exorcist so for some people being scared of horror movies is an actual issue.

Report Reply

Reply by Katie

posted

The only time I got scared was aged 6 when my dad showed me The Exorcist for the first time. But other than that nah 

Report Reply

Reply by Geeby

posted

YEESSSS. Like how are you actually afraid of some of these guys. 

On another note though I low key be afraid of home invasion movies. It's too real to me that people can just come into my home and just decide to kill me. 

Report Reply

Reply by Olive Oyl

posted

Most don't typically scare me, but I love a movie with a good jump scare. Dead Alive is my favorite, but that's not a serious horror.

Report Reply

Reply by ▊Lyth ▊

posted

I grew up on horror movies. My uncle and grandmother would let me watch some (not the nudity and sex included ones). Though I'd sneak and watch movies like Hellraiser. First horror movies I can remember watching is Hard Rock Zombies and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. 

Report Reply

Reply by ⛪️ ♄el ℞azor ℧

posted

I love a lot of cheesy low budget stuff so Things is #1 for me....it is so gross and you can't really tell whats going on. And the contrasting colors really adds to the disorientated/dissociated mood

Report Reply

Reply by Tizzy

posted

yh they do lol but its fun in a way. 

Report Reply

Reply by Dana

posted

No, they don't. I did find Sinister to be really creepy though. I think it was more some of the music than anything. 

Report Reply

Reply by samara☾

posted

One movie that actually scared me is Hereditary. It's really weird and creepy but I absolutely love it. 

Report Reply

Reply by ch1oeca1tlin

posted

no horror movies seem to scare me any recommendations??

Report Reply

Reply by Ðꧧï©åtêÐ ©ø®þ§ê

posted

Not really, unless it's a sudden jumpscare which I never really count as being scared. Most modern horror films rely on a consistent amount of jumpscares nowadays accompanied by loud noises or hits within the soundtrack without really trying to make any person feel on edge. I don't even think this really works for me now even, unless it's in a video game.

Report Reply

Reply by Sean

posted

Very few scare me. I usually go for laughs and to look at how they did the effects. My favourite genre is definitely horror/comedy for sure. Terror Firmer, evil dead, dead alive, all that good stuff!

Report Reply

Reply by Sorority Doll

posted

Jennifer's Body! <3

Report Reply

Reply by ian mckinley enthusiast

posted

not really a horror, more a thriller but I like the final destination movies so much

Report Reply

Reply by Xx_J4GG3RK1MBL3Y_xX

posted

nooo i dont even watch them 2 get scared i just watch them bc slashers r hot i love "bad" horror movies sm bc i can actually enjoy them w/o getting mad bc im not scared

Report Reply

Reply by Solas26

posted

Hate when the killer is invincible 

Like being in a nightmare where you have weak punches 

Report Reply

Reply by ivan05

posted

I just recently watched THE RING 

gonna watch number 2 sooon

Report Reply

Reply by The Pittsburgh Ghoul Order

posted

We watch horror the majority of the time. It's strange that some people actually are scared of them. Some of the are unintentionally hysterical. ~Buzz Killer, Talking Zombie From Western Pennsylvania

Report Reply

Reply by Versacexo

posted

Horror movies don't scare me because of my trauma lmfao xoxo

Report Reply

Reply by notburntmaki

posted

my favorite horror movie is "The Healing". I swear, that movie scared the shit out of me until now. It's a movie from the Philippines and istg it gave me traumas

Report Reply

Reply by ! MUZZLE !

posted

Some horror movies scared the shit out of me, but the older and cheesier ones didn't! Occasionally the jump-scares would actually make me jump, but other than that I don't really remember screaming at any horror movies. However there were a few "horror" movies that psychologically fucked me up. Most of those were films like A Serbian Film and Eli, (sort of), that really knocked my shit out. They left me bamboozled for weeks;;;;

Report Reply

Reply by HaiHai

posted

They've never scared me but I watch them because they make me so excited

Report Reply

Reply by Charles Martinez

posted

Really, horror movies scare me and I need to switch on my room's lights all over the night. I was wondering where I can get a collection of good horror movies and can download them from there in HD. I don't want to use torrent websites like dvdplay. Is there any way to download them? 

Report Reply

Reply by StonielΘΔ

posted

not unless im really doing the work to make myself scared but even then

so many horror movies work better as comedys like half the time i be laughin n enjoyin myself

Report Reply

Reply by StonielΘΔ

posted

not unless im really doing the work to make myself scared but even then

so many horror movies work better as comedys like half the time i be laughin n enjoyin myself

Report Reply

Reply by ✩Sal✩

posted

the childs play remake (2019) it didnt scare me per say, but (spoilers) it gave me so much anxiety with the kid wrapping up the head and getting caught i had to pause the movie and get up to walk around multiple times

Report Reply

Reply by webb3r

posted

fear street is pretty good

Report Reply

Reply by ✘Scream Queen✘

posted

Nah, if anything I crush on the villains hardcore. It’s a problem lol

Report Reply

Reply by Nico

posted

Watch Ginger Snaps it just sorta hits different especially as a teenager it had me blinkng for a bit.

Report Reply

Reply by klangles shmangles

posted

i WISH i could get scared by horror movies again- i rented sinister specifically because i was told it was terrifying and no t h i n g. a couple well placed jumpscares but apart from that the biggest reaction i had to that movie was seeing james ransone as the cop (he's eddie kaspbrak in IT ch 2). i love horror but i wish i could be genuinely petrified :/

Report Reply

Reply by sadking

posted

Evil Dead: Rise was really good.

I can understand why people get scared by horror movies, but I'm built different so only zombie movies scare me.

Report Reply

Reply by Rosyquartz

posted

I use horror movies as a way to cope with things that have happened, like I can see scary things on my own terms, and they don't scare me anymore 

Report Reply

Reply by alyssa

posted

nope not scary, been watching them since i was 5!

Report Reply

Reply by toneisdead

posted

I just really like the first 3 saw movies in the franchise. I think that they should've stopped after that but they're still pretty good. 

Report Reply

Reply by HeatherFeathers

posted

Horror movies never really scared me, even when I was younger. I just think they are cool :)

Report Reply

Reply by ImplodeRelode

posted

chris cunningham is the real king of horror, no fucking clue why he never made a full length movie yet

Report Reply

Reply by Python

posted

It's really dependent on the content and subgenre of the movies for me. In general, no, most don't scare me. But I do have some horror movies that scare me simply because they're about things I find frightening to begin with. Having said that I usually watch horror movies to enjoy the tension or the artistry of them, because horror is a comfort genre for me as it is for lots of other people. Of course I do enjoy occasionally watching horror movies that scare me, but to me there's a line as to how much fun I can have when I'm actually being scared, rather than just jumpy, startled, or on edge. I also think a lot of horror movies have the ability to tell more interesting stories than other genres because there's less of a need to hold back what you can show and/or imply due to the nature of the genre. 

Having said all this, my favorite horror movie to watch for fun is Scream, but in terms of story I think Jacob's Ladder is unbeatable. A Cure for Wellness is one of the horror movies that actually scare me due to the 

!! SPOILER !! 

use of parasites in it. 

!! END SPOILER !!

(If you watch any of these you should check out Does the Dog Die for warnings first! But especially in regards to the last two I mentioned.)

Report Reply