« Fashion, Style, Shopping Forum

I miss malls ;_;

I'm just here to say I miss going to malls, dressing up to go out and shopping around this time of year. So if anyone else wanna sulk with me about not being able to go to mall (or having to keep wearing gloves, I'm so tired of them), post.

Also, anyone ever used Ibotta? .-. It's a savings app.
Annnnd does anyone know where to go to get good 2000's fashion that isn't Depop? 

Report Topic

101 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by De Pointe Du Lac

posted

Malls now only consist of mid food and over-priced trendy clothes that are hard to style, i was always fascinated that people would leave with bags of stuff but then again a lot of the good stores closed down

Report Reply

Reply by sally♡

posted

samee going to the mall with friends like in the 2000s is fr my life goal

Report Reply

Reply by Zero

posted

then go to one

Report Reply

Reply by _CherriCola_

posted

my mall was dying a while back and i have to go to a WHOLE DIFFERENT TOWN just to go to hot topic or spencers. it died recently so now we have no where to walk around except for walmart and our one thrift store T^T

Report Reply

Reply by Hoopla

posted

maybe if we all start acting like mall rats again this era will come back... my only issue is malls in my area suck! the only cool place left is hot topic. its tragic.

Report Reply

Reply by CorpsePuppy

posted

We have like no third places anymore!!! its so disappointing man and theres literally no place for leisure between home and work or like school. Thats why we have those sephora gen alpha kids. If we had more places like malls i think wed have less of the issue of sephora kids yk?

Report Reply

Reply by Emily Lee

posted

I'm a 2007 baby so I don't know alot about malls and the only memory I have of it is when I went to the mall with my mom and dad to buy my little brother his first bby clothes!

I've seen alot of movies and TV series that show teens hanging out in the mall and I'm sososo jealous! It feels like there aren't alot of places that you can hang with your friends and the mall seems like the perfect place. I've tried but there aren't any malls close to my house that is open so I failed every time:(

Report Reply

Reply by IVAN

posted

Every now and then, I go by myself to the mall just to walk around and enjoy the experience haha. My local mall has been closing many stores but some days it can still get good foot traffic. Sad to see mall culture slowly dying but some of us are still keeping it alive!!

Report Reply

Reply by ih8p0p

posted
updated

ikr malls used to be the shit 

Report Reply

Reply by Whirly

posted

OMG YESSS!!!! plus it really sucks because I was born on the cusp of mall culture and it was gone before I even got to it! Plus most of the ICONIC mall stores don't even sell cute clothes anymore and when they do it sells out in like 5 MINUTES BECAUSE OF TIKTOK! I'm pretty sure this is because of trends lately (since stores follow them) and all the trends are just watered-down versions of old kickass trends! like what in the hell is "clean goth aesthetic"???   

Report Reply

Reply by Whirly

posted

OMG YESSS!!!! plus it really sucks because I was born on the cusp of mall culture and it was gone before I even got to it! Plus most of the ICONIC mall stores don't even sell cute clothes anymore and when they do it sells out in like 5 MINUTES BECAUSE OF TIKTOK! I'm pretty sure this is because of trends lately (since stores follow them) and all the trends are just watered-down versions of old kickass trends! like what in the hell is "clean goth aesthetic"???   

Report Reply

Reply by nancyisabruise

posted

i miss malls soooo bad all the ones around here r Ded :///// smth abt malls that all have niche sublets and cater to a variety of interests instead of the current trends <3 I'll miss u 4EVER my local mall . was so fun to dress up w Frirendz and explore 

Report Reply

Reply by 𝒮𝓀𝓎𝓁𝒶𝓇

posted

Than go to a Mall!!!!! 

Report Reply

Reply by ケイ

posted
updated

ten course meal for my eyes ong

Report Reply

Reply by D3ADSTAR!

posted

Yea malls nowadays aren't the same like the old days, used to be every teens go to hangout place. Hate as to how everything is pricey and dead, that and as to how some of the stores are lame or expensive like Hot Topic.

Report Reply

Reply by Danny

posted

dude i miss my mall so much, it was so busy before the pandemic and now its like a ghost town in there. and i just found out a few days ago that its going to be torn down sometime in 2024!!! at least there are a few big malls left in my state but they're all 2 hours away and super pricey. at leat my mall still has a spencers.

Report Reply

Reply by liz violet

posted

my local mall used to have a bus stop ;< but now it stops at the giant outdoor shopping center before it. its so hard to walk around there thoooo >:(

I still use poshmark, ebay, and mercari for my old clothes. i got a bunch of bootcut jeans for cheap!

Report Reply

Reply by frankie_FATAL X_x

posted

sameee </3 have 2 get a ride 40 min out of town just to go to hot topic

Report Reply

Reply by +CLiNiKiLL+

posted

saaaaame it was alwayzs so nice in the fall/winter time to go hangout and just dick around at the mall with my homies :/

Report Reply

Reply by ✮ juno ✮

posted

in the uk we have shopping centres and theyre pretty much malls, sometimes i wish i was american though purely for hot topic

Report Reply

Reply by duncannnn

posted

i miss malls so much, they are all empty and I remember having so much fun and the malls being so packed and colorful with froyo stand and everything but now its all super boring and white and grey with like some ppl passing by but it doesn't feel the same way as it did before

Report Reply

Reply by Ghoulia

posted

every mall I go into now are dead and are only being held up by the movie theater inside. I would love to go into fun stores and shop with friends but to me personally I think the clothes that are being marketed today are so bland and beige. and the only way to get good clothes is second hand shopping 

Report Reply

Reply by Heeru

posted

omg this post was in 2020?!? TT

Report Reply

Reply by HeavyMetal_Fish

posted

I know that there are a lot of factors that prevent ppl from going  to malls (being sick, not old enough to drive, no good malls close by, ect) but we are able to support our local malls by actually going to them.

I'm sorry if I sounded to n3gative in this post, but you could most likely support your local mall to keep it alive!!!

Report Reply

Reply by Reese

posted

Im so sad malls are dying,,, I loved going to the mall with my mom and going to justice, and hot topic (i was edgy), and the "ive seen on tv" store,,, especially around christmas cuz they would have a train you could ride on and plus you could see santa!!

Maybe sometime i should just go to my mall and walk around, maybe get some food from the food court,,

Report Reply

Reply by Regina ☆⋆。𖦹°‧★

posted

Bro, there is only one mall in my city, its big but i dream to go to the American malls, drink a Starbucks that isn’t here in Mexico, buy American candy, clothes, i just want that

Report Reply

Reply by CB3

posted
updated

when i was younger i remember going to the mall a lot with my mom everytime a new album would drop we always used to go to the fye store just to buy a cd for new music… you really don’t do that anymore since we have apple music spotify soundcloud etc times have really changed.

Report Reply

Reply by Gamer Gaming

posted

What did malls die?

Report Reply

Reply by Lindsay

posted

So, I was at the mall the other day and I couldn't help but notice how empty it was. It made me really sad because I love going to the mall to shop, hang out with friends, and try on cute outfits!

But, I realized that maybe there are other people out there who feel the same way as me and want to go to the mall with a new friend. That's why I'm here on SpaceHey!

I'm hoping to make some new friends who share my love for fashion and shopping, and who want to have some fun at the mall together! 

So, if you're looking for a shopping buddy or just want to chat about fashion and all things fabulous, let's connect! Can't wait to hear from you.

Report Reply

Reply by Quartz

posted

I had fond memories of the mall as a kid and teen. The mall wasn't the primary social space outside school for teens by the time I was a teen, but we hung out there some and it was fun. I worked there for a while and that job absolutely sucked. I went to the mall up until covid hit, even as it was dying, but it really rapidly declined after that and now it's too depressing to bother with. The only stores left worth going to are Spencer's, Bath and Body Works, and Claire's but I last went like a year ago so those may be gone at this point. Our downtown area sucks now too, compared to 10 years ago. Almost all in person spaces have declined so much. I don't even know what people do to go out anymore. Probably nothing. Here is a cool vaporwave-inspired picture I took of a mall skylight. Shaken camera during exposure, not edited. Holga digital camera.

Report Reply

Reply by Belle :P

posted

same, i miss tryin on clothes an actually havin a nice time. plus malls in gen hav just gon outa style an its so sad :((

We need to bring shopping at the mall back bc i gen hate online shopping sm

Report Reply

Reply by Kae

posted

Yeah I miss malls. :(( 

Ever since I was a kid, I loved the idea of going to the mall with my friends to hang out, but its so hard to do that anymore. 

No one is really social anymore. 

Before malls completely die out, I do hope I have a friend or two to hang out there with 🤞🏾

Report Reply

Reply by Sibiko

posted

there's a couple near me that i still go to, i rlly like being in large spacious buildings i can get lost in. i rlly wanna explore an abandoned mall tho, i think that'd be cool

Report Reply

Reply by miin

posted

right??? it's just not the same anymore

Report Reply

Reply by Jada

posted

Oh my gosh, I moved to this small town and it has been such a huge change for me! Don't get me wrong, it's totally cute and cozy and I love the sense of community here, but I'm definitely missing the big city malls that I used to shop at all the time. It's just not the same browsing through a tiny boutique or waiting for something to ship to me online, you know? I used to love spending whole afternoons wandering around the mall with my girls, trying on all the latest fashion trends and sipping on bubble tea. Now it's like, where do I even go to find cute clothes or accessories? The local thrift store is fun and all, but I miss having all those big name brands and flashy displays to choose from. I'm still trying to adjust to this small town lifestyle, but I have to admit, I'm really missing the big city malls!

Report Reply

Reply by Danni

posted

I MISS MALLS SO MUCH

where I live my mall is so barren, like there's only a handful of stores (thank God they have a hot topic) but I wish it was more lively 

Report Reply

Reply by fruit33d

posted

Where i live one of the only things to do is going to the mall... maybe my mall is just not my style or im just tired of it the clothes are also overpriced... most of my clothes are second hand clothes!! and i think i love them more than my pricey ones..

Report Reply

Reply by xenon

posted

idk where you're from where there aren't malls but I live close to one and people go there every day
it's insane to find parking on weekends

Report Reply

Reply by Iamthewalrus

posted

Literally just went to the mall today. So they're where I am.

My home town though? It still has its shopping centre (we never called it a mall but it was basically a mall) but a lot of the shops and especially the other things in it are closing down :( I should make a blog about what it was like back in the day! Even Debenhams has gone now :(

It's cos it's a poorer town than it used to be so people can't afford to even just go to Next or something. Everything there has to be the very cheapest like Poundland, Cash for Gold etc. It used to be just an average town. It's sad.

What I miss is that when I was a kid there was shops in malls, sure, but there were other things too. I'm actually surprised with online shopping being a thing that it's the shops that clung on. Imagine somewhere mall sized but full of entertainment centres - an arcade which is safish inland, a bowling alley, a rollerskating park indoor, indoor crazy golf, indoor cinema, a food court, soft play for the kids, swimming pool etc - surely that'd be popular cos you can't replicate it properly at home?

The mall I just went to used to do all that. And even the shopping centre back home had soft play when I was young enough for soft play. Tbf that shopping centre does have a new cinema.

Other English people help me out... I have no idea what the actual difference is between a 'mall' and a 'shopping centre'? Other than that Americans have heard of the mall? I think I was about 10 when I heard the word 'mall' for the first time, after going to the shopping centre all my life.

Report Reply

Reply by Chipp

posted

ive been wanting to go, but my mom wont let me go out and i dont have friends to go with

Report Reply

Reply by pechapanda

posted

theres one indoor(ish) mall near me but its super empty in terms of businesses and mall-goers. theres always strip malls, but theyre the absolute worst to traverse (especially in icy weather!)

Report Reply

Reply by Last_Futurist

posted

One of the malls near me is thriving thankfully, even with COVID and all that's happened, I try to go there whenever I can to just chill, I do miss like going around malls with your friends, mostly cause everyone I was friends with in the area have for the most part just dipped out

Report Reply

Reply by cc.bass

posted

There is a few malls still thriving, I know some in Illinois that are usually packed but one usually carries designer clothing and streetwear and the other I have no clue, I hear from my friends that its packed sometimes. You just have to look around ;(

Report Reply

Reply by 90sdude

posted

You guys dont have so many malls anymore? We still have lots of them here in india. I usually go on the weekends to shop,eat or watch a movie. Wont notice time flying by

Report Reply

Reply by K^Tlmao

posted

Same omfg T^T,  funny mini story- last time in went to a mall i was in like FULLL bright rainbow decora w hella accessories n shit, im walking out of a Claire's when i see a group of teens in a more modern iteration of scene/ scenemo fashion and we like make eye contact T0T (ik it sounds hella awkward but for me this was like my scene awakening, CAUSE LEMME TELL U- ALL OF THEM LOOKED SO KEWL OMIGAWD) like 1 of them, who im assuming was the leader of their lil friend group. Walks up to me an like T^T- COMPLIMENTS MY OUTFIT?!?!?!? im shaking at this point istg, i compliment theirs too and all yykkyktky me just shaking. then i turn back to my friend and my mom who i was with and im like "DID U SEE THAT JSFJNS" 

getting all girlboss-ed up to go spend unholy amounts of money at Claire's was 1 of my favvv things to do b4 lockdown T~T, untill- (and you wont believe what happens next/j) another group of girls- (normal clothes smh -.-) -are like on the 2nd story of the mall right? they throw this GIANT GUMMY BEAR at me,my friend, and my mom from like the balcony 0-o. (not my friend who actually tried to pick up the gummy bear and eat it-). anyways we like ran over to another area of the mall to finish up shopping but these teens kept following us. my mom then told me she saw a few of them like recording us from the balcony, so she was literally pissed at these girls. a few stores later and they come back throwing like whoppers (the candy) and other shit at us?? (mainly me and my friend who was in an all emo black and red outfit so we basically looked like polar opposites lol) my mom decides shes had enough of the candy harassment and like goes up to them absolutely destroying them, yelling and scaring them away for good protective mom style lmfao. (atleast we think) 

while we're like leaving the mall a few of them kinda followed us before we reached the entrance, they where prolly recording us to make fun of our outfits on tiktok or sumthin. but who just throws candy at ppl T0T??? but yeah, i miss going out shopping and looking fabulous, and all the positive lil interactions w other kandi kids, emos/scenemos, and other alternative ppl. 

Report Reply

Reply by e.j. ღ

posted

i miss the era of just going to malls to hang out with friends n not buying a god damn thing but just exploring the clothes and stuff

Report Reply

I miss going to the malls too 

Report Reply

Reply by gl00myB3arzz

posted

malls still have not closed down in my aria! come to brierwood mall or ypisalani mall if you live in MI

Report Reply

Reply by Belle :P

posted

yesssss. I love going to the mall and for me, my mall is open, but it's so barren T-T  The only good malls I can go to are like forever away from me and I don't have my license yet so I cant just take myself if nobody wants to drive me there. :[ 

Report Reply

Reply by Girlyspice

posted

OMG SAME!!! My favorite mall is literally so far and with the gas prices rn its not even worth it. I want to get ready so bad and try on cute clothes! I also want to know where to find y2k clothes >.<

Report Reply