Topic: INTRO: Roll Call! šŸŽ¤

Sort Replies:

Reply by ketamine

posted
updated

1. online i'd prefer to just go by my username (ketamine), K, or Kali are fine too, she/her

2. i don't remember the exactĀ first ever book i read but i can imagine it would be something one of my parents read to me or something from kinder/ primary school

3. i don't think much will ever top the feeling of lying in bed with my parent(s), wrapped up in a warm blanket, reading books i borrowed from the school library. I loved when they would read to me, but i also enjoyed reading to them.

4. i usually end up reading in the afternoon, a little bit before or after dinner. Sometimes i read at school (school novels/ independentĀ reading time) but somedays i read multiple times throughout the day after waking up.

5. i usually end up spoiling movies or tvs show im watching, but i luckily avoid that most of the time with books. I like things to be a surprise, especially for the first time reading something because if i know the ending, i'll spend the entire journey thinkingĀ about it and trying to connect it to what is currently happening in the story and it just ruins it a bit for me. it probably wouldn't stop me from reading a book just from knowing the ending, but if i felt the ending was bad it would certainly deter me.
  1. i write my last name in each of the books i own, and i sometimes leave underlined words or little drawings. after i finish my books i draw a picture on a little sticky note, write the title and date i finished it, and i stick on either a memorable page or just at random.Ā 
  2. i have many different things i use as bookmarks: sticky notes, actual bookmarks, random pictures, little notes i've used in the past, i've got a little pile of things i could use on top of my bookshelf. A few of my books have ribbon bookmarks, too.

3. I don't think i've reread many books, but the closest i've gotten to five is probably The Secret Garden, which i think i've read 2 or 3 times. It's definitely one of my, if not my favourite books i've ever read. I would like to reread some others but i don't have copies of them.

Report Reply

Reply by samspotting

posted

1. sam, he/him.

2. the first book i read because i actually wanted to was the maze runnerĀ 

3. my best expirience was probably reading circe by madeline miller, it took me long to finish but i absolutely sucked in all the knowladge and melancholy it gave meĀ 

4. honestly, whenever i have time, i usually spend all my time at school or doing homework, so whenever and wherever theres time ill read
  5. i know its odd but i dont mind when people spoilĀ 
  6. i always put my name, the date i started to read it and when i finished itĀ 
  7. napkin or a pen
  8. dont know if it counts but any of the heartstopper books

Report Reply

Reply by Charlie

posted

1. Tu nombre y pronombres preferidos.
    (he/el)
  2. ĀæRecuerdas el primer libro que leĆ­ste?
    Si
  3. tomar cafe y leer sin duda es un momento unico.
  4. Por la tarde noche en mi habitaciĆ³nĀ 
  5. Si hay veces en las que sabes el final y ya no es lo mismo
  6. No y si tengo que utilizo unos stickers transparentes para anotar en simaĀ Ā 
  7. Un lapiz y los stickers transparentesĀ 

8. Si frankistein

Report Reply

Reply by saltysloth

posted

1. My name is Jessalyn, I use she/her pronouns.Ā 

2. Because of Winn-Dixie.Ā 

3. The Percy Jackson series and when I read them will always have such a tremendous part in my heart, however reading My Dark Vanessa and These Violent Delights absolutely altered my brain chemistry.Ā 

4. When I read extremely changes mostly just based on when I feel the urge to read.Ā 

5. It actually has not, although I had never really thought about it either. Now that the idea has come into my mind I honestly might startā€¦Ā 

6. I do. I enjoy annotating however Iā€™m for the most part extremely careful with books.

7. Iā€™ll use bookmarks, pieces of paper, if I donā€™t have those Iā€™ll just remember the page Iā€™m on.

8. There is not. I actually really struggle rereading things.

Report Reply

Reply by Alora

posted

1. Alora!! She/her

2. The first books I read were the dork diaries series Ā 

3. The best book reading experience i've had was "My Dark Vanessa" which is kinda controversial but I legit physically felt the story in my soul LOL

4. I usually read before bed and during the weekends if I have nothing to doĀ 
  5. Not as of yet
  6. I don't leave little marks but I do annotate IF I really feel the need to and I love when my books look wornĀ 
  7. I use this bookmark I bought with pink tasselsĀ 
  8. I have not read a book 5+ times

looking for people to talk to!!

Report Reply

Reply by finn the rizzer

posted

1. Your preferred name and pronouns.
    Finny and any prns
  2. Do you remember the first book that you read?
    nope
  3. The best reading experience you've ever had (I'm thinking this can extend to not just being absorbed within a specific story, but the location you were literally reading in and the ViBeS.)
    Honestly me climbing the tree in my backyard and reading a good fantasy book
  4. When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...?Ā  Randomly to pass the time

5. Has knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? yes. i also decide if its gonna be a good book if it has a cool cover (ik im horrible)Ā 

6. Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffee marks or food crumbs and etc. Yes annotate my books

7. What do you use as a bookmark? a metal book mark that says go away im reading

8. Is there a book that you have read more than five times? If so, what is it? i have two Acotar and The reckless oath we made

Report Reply

Reply by mr. petuski

posted
updated

1. petuski/any

2. i recall reading a bunch of "eye witness" books and dinosaur encyclopedias. it took me a long time before i ever took any interest in narrative stories.

3. listening to the "a song of ice and fire" audiobooks while with a friend while working together on an animation project.

4. i basically only listen to audiobooks, so usually when going to and from work, or i'll set aside some time for it at home and draw at the same time. (trying to do more of the latter)

5. i was VERY well versed in all the tolkien lore, and watched the lord of the rings like 50 times before ever reading the books. and for a long time, i put off reading it because i thought i knew it all by heart already. but once i eventually did read them, they somehow still managed to surprise me.

6. it doesn't quite work with audiobooks, despite my attempts.

7. none

8. none

Report Reply

Reply by Howl į“šį˜į—¢ į¶» z Z

posted

That would be Howl! Along with he/him or they/them pronouns.

Oh god no! I've been reading for so long! I guess my answer would have to be... hmm... The "Dick And Jane" books. The ones that are targeted towards new readers!

3. The
    best reading experience you've ever had (I'm thinking this can extend
    to not just being absorbed within a specific story, but the location you
    were literally reading in and the ViBeS.)

This is such an odd question! Perhaps anytime I have been reading while camping. It's so easy to get engrossed with the sounds of nature and no distractions!

4. When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...?

At home is where I do most of my reading. I keep trying to work in a dedicated reading time but it is not working out ^_^;. These days, when I go out (usually for appointments) I try to bring a book with me!

5. Has
    knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie)
    ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not?

Not that I can think of or name. An example, I have been reading the Hannibal series. I know how that goes, but I still read (and enjoyed!) the books.

6. Do
    you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your
    books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffee marks or
    food crumbs and etc.

I LOVE marking up my books. I have recently started highlighting them and writing in them. I want to make the stories my own too. Leave my thoughts in the margins, let people know it was loved.

7. What do you use as a bookmark?

Anything I can find. I am not above the "wrapper as a bookmark" thing, or just dogearring pages. I do have a habit of buying cute bookmarks even when I know I won't use them...

8. Is there a book that you have read more than five times? If so, what is it?

While not 5 times (don't attack!), I have re-read "The Outsiders" by S. E. Hinton multiple times now since having it be a required read in middle school!

Report Reply

Reply by Octi

posted

1) Hi!!! I'm Octy and I prefer they/them pronouns

2) One of the first books I've read were the Mafalda comic strips compilations. I know it may not count, but she was one of my favorites growing up

3) Ok, so, there was a series of books that I read growing up called Historias entre Tumbas (Stories among Tombs, rough translation sorry) and I got literally obsessed. I stayed in the library reading them in recess and borowed them from the library constantly. I had forgotten about them until a couple of days ago, been trying to find them ever since

4) On the ride to school and between clases, when I'm not talking with friends

5) Not really. Most of the time I watch a movie and find out after that it has a book or viceversa. I enjoy them either way

6) I recently started underlining quotes that I likeĀ 

7) Bookmarks, mostly. If I don't have one in hand I use loose papers in my bag

8) All Tomorrows, by C. M. Kosemen, this man has me HOOKED

Report Reply

Reply by benny

posted

1. benny, he/him/his, it/its

2. the earliest memory i have of reading was of an encyclopedia

3. being a kid and staying up late to read (as opposed to how it is now; being 22 and staying up late to escape the monotony and chaos, both, somehow, of my reality)

4. at home, in bed

5. i usually don't mind spoilers, because there's a very big difference between "knowing" the plot vs EXPERIENCING the plotĀ 

we're skipping 6

7. i dog-ear the pages

8. What If? by Randall Munroe

Report Reply

Reply by RatGoblin

posted

Your preferred name and pronouns.Ā Ā 

He/him pronouns. Just call me Rat here, not gonna use my IRL name!

The best reading experience you've ever had (I'm thinking this can extend to not just being absorbed within a specific story, but the location you were literally reading in and the ViBeS.)Ā Ā 

My favorite place to read is on airplanes! It's a place where nothing else is required of me and my only responsibility is to keep myself entertained until I get where I'm going! Planes are also so limnal, which just adds to the vibes! Buses and trains are like this too, but with the disadvantage of having to watch out for my stop! I've definitely on more than one occasion missed my bus stop after getting too engrossed in a good book!

When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...?Ā Ā Ā 

At work on my breaks, on public transit, at night when I can't sleep, in the bathroom, the list goes on and on!

Has knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not?Ā Ā Ā 

It hasn't stopped me from reading a book, but it can push it further down my TBR list. Like, it's still worth enjoying something even if I know where it's going, but maybe I'll read something that'll be completely fresh to me first!

Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffee marks or food crumbs and etc.Ā Ā 

Oh food crumbs end up in and on all my belongings eventually! Lately I've been reading 99% ebooks borrowed from the library using the Libby and Hoopla apps on my phone because I know if I buy/rent a physical book it's just going to end up sticky and gross with food residue!

What do you use as a bookmark?Ā Ā Ā 

With ebooks I don't have to worry about this anymore, but on the rare occasion that I pick up a physical book, I use whatever scrap of garbage is closest to me when I'm reading!

Is there a book that you have read more than five times? If so, what is it?

When I was a kid in the depths of my weeb phase there were several manga I've read more than five times. Those books were expensive, so I had to reread them to get my money's worth! But as an adult, no. There are just too many good books out there I haven't read yet to go back and reread one I already know!

Report Reply

Reply by bee !

posted

1. Bee, she/they

2. probably like Winnie the Pooh (I was two okay)

3. When I read "Anne of Green Gables" in the countryside. Ā It was so magical

4. Whenever I can

5. Yeah. Ā When I heard that the story had incest in the end I was like "nope"

6. I dog ear my books.

7. literally anything

8. not sure

Report Reply

Reply by bee !

posted

1. Bee, she/they

2. probably like Winnie the Pooh (I was two okay)

3. When I read "Anne of Green Gables" in the countryside. Ā It was so magical

4. Whenever I can

5. Yeah. Ā When I heard that the story had incest in the end I was like "nope"

6. I dog ear my books.

7. literally anything

8. not sure

Report Reply

Reply by audrey <3

posted

- audrey, she/her

- no, but earliest "actual" novel i remember was theclassic, the secret garden, for school but actually ended up loving it <3

- idk. one time i was on a train and my phone almost was dead so i started and finsihed my book. it was a sunny day and so peaceful

- i usually read whenever I have free time. I love escaping into little worlds to forget about reality

- not really. i just find myself reading for another purpose. there's so much more to a book than the ending such as characters, setting, and the rest of the plot that still leaves me curious

- yesssss. i always annotate shit. i eat/drink a lot so that reflects too </3

- yall would hate me but i forget bookmarks so i dog ear the pages

- i dont think so. maybe sentimental childhood books or poems but not any novels

Report Reply

Reply by VampiricSaint

posted

-Luna, any pronouns are fine
    -Probably some Dr. Seuss book, but the book that got me hooked on reading was Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
  3. The best reading experience you've ever had (I'm thinking this can extend to not just being absorbed within a specific story, but the location you were literally reading in and the ViBeS.)
    -Six of Crows in my old study period during high school, that got me back into reading after a slump
  4. When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...?Ā 
    -I always have a book with me so whenever I find the time in the day, typically the morning, I'll crack it open
  5. Has knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not?Ā 
    -Maybe once or twice I've been spoiled but I kept reading
  6. Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffee marks or food crumbs and etc.
    - I try but I never end up committing through the whole thing
  7. What do you use as a bookmark?Ā 
    -I used to use the Joker card, but now I have a proper black and gold snake bookmark.Ā 
  8. Is there a book that you have read more than five times? If so, what is it?
    -I've only re-read Harry Potter ages ago, I plan to reread The Cosmere in about a year during the hiatus.

Report Reply

Reply by lee !!

posted

1. Lee they/them :D

2. I remember reading Meg and Mog when I was waaay young.Ā 

3. When I was younger I had created a reading nook in the tree of my garden. I would climb up, and then pull up a bag I had tied to a branch which had my books inside. Now I'm too big to climb the tree, but god it was nice in the summer.

4. I read whenever I can. Usually before bed, but also at school sometimes when the lesson is boring.

5. Not really. I think as long as the writing is good, it doesn't matter if you know what happens or not because you'll enjoy the experience anyways.

6. I've gotten into the habit of highlighting phrases I like. I used to write my thoughts but I've realised when re-reading books I just cringe at my past self. I also have a couple of books I've dropped in the bath.

7. My friend made me a bookmark with a drawing of Perry the Platypus on it, and I also have a bookmark that my godmother gave me from the Tate, which has a pattern of eyes on it.

8. Submarine by Joe Dunthorne. It's my favourite book. And movie. And soundtrack.

Report Reply

Reply by silvie

posted

1. Call me Sylvie, and I use she/her

2. Any of the Dear Dumb Diary books by Jim Benton

3. Reading Piranesi, the whole thing was just SO immersive

4. Any time, I don't really have a schedule with reading

5. Not really, spoilers don't tend to bother a crazy amount

6. Not on purpose but yes. I somehow manage to spill a million things onto my books every day. It's why I don't borrow from libraries, I'd never be able to return them in good condition.

7. I dog ear my pages, but if I'm borrowing from a friend I'll usually use a receipt

8. When I was like nine I probably read Chloe Snow's Diary; Confessions of a High School Disaster a hundred times, it was a weird time in my life and that book was EVERYTHING to me LMAO

Report Reply

Reply by c0lin_l3ettuc/e

posted

1. You can call me Colin or Lettuce! I use she/he šŸ›

2. I donā€™t really remember the first book that Iā€™ve read - but I remember the ones I got obsessed with as a kid! The entirety of Mafalda comics :3Ā 
  3. When I was reading ā€œKafka at the shoreā€ by Haryki Murakami, I felt like EVERYTHING that was happening in the book, was happening to me yk? It was insane, like a ā€œNever-ending Storyā€ type of situation?
  4. I read ALL the time !!Ā 
  5. Not really?? I usually donā€™t spoil books for myself, just the final word if Iā€™m too curious lol
  6. only in philosophy/science/essay books ;; and in the ones that are mine lol!! I donā€™t like to write on narrative books, I love them way too muchĀ 
  7. Literally anything I can find ā€” but lately itā€™s been a Solosis pokemon card >_<
  8. Notes of a crocodile by Qiu Miajoin (my favorite book ever)Ā 

Report Reply

Reply by Dej4.vu

posted

1. My name is Maria and I go by She/Her pronouns.

2. the first book I remember reading was probably Fancy Nancy or one of the Junie B. Jones books.

3. I'm currently reading The Secret History and I haven't been this invested in a book in forever. I tried reading If We Were Villains, and i did like the story but the writing style made me not want to finish it. they both have similar story lines but I enjoy the way Donna Tartt writes a lot more.Ā 

4. I usually read when I get bored of social media, in classes after I finish work, and before I go to bed.

5. I've never gotten spoilers but if I read a book before the movie or the other way around I do think it makes me a bit prejudice against the movie or book.

6. I like annotating my books. I usually highlight the parts that make me feel stronger emotions or just parts I think would end up being important.
  7. I made a bookmark out of paper. all i did was fold it, tape the open sides together, and drew on it.
  8. I haven't read anything more than 5 times, but I re-read The Outsiders.

Report Reply