« School, College, University Forum

advice??

hey guys i'm currently a high school junior! next year will be my senior year and i'm wondering if there are any tips i should do to prepare myself for college and all of that. thanks!

Report Topic

4 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Jinnicide

posted

Take college prep classes

Report Reply

Reply by Sneeze

posted

if ur unsure about what you want to study i'd say explore as many classes and fields as possible. Maybe try out different clubs, go to college fairs, and visit whichever campus you're interested in.

Report Reply

Reply by animals

posted

do some research in your college/s website/s to see what classes are required for your major/s! college academic advisors and other staff arent always reliable and may
recommend you to sign up for classes that aren't relevant to your major
at all, which isnt helpful for credit accumulation or your finance. i didnt graduate high school normally, so im unsure if high school advisors do similar things like that.

check your college/s website/s to see if they have any requirements for graduation like The Gordon Rule or Civic Literacy+Foreign language requirements. depending on your high school classes, you may or may not already meet some of them! If you've taken some AP classes, those supposedly help chip through credit requirements AND get you ahead on some college class paths (i.e. not taking AP math classes will usually make you have to take more math classes to build up those skills whereas taking AP math classes can let you skip ahead and enter more advanced math classes)

if youre still unsure on a major, maybe ask your high school advisors if they have any major/career exploring resources to turn to. ONET is a common thing but it's not always useful; MyPlan might get shown to you in college but that requires a key from the institution. the best thing unfortunately is to decide what you think is worth studying for and maybe working with for most/some of your life; you may end up in professions completely unrelated to your major.

volunteer! and maybe join clubs! it sounds basic but they can look good on your resume for internship opportunities and future employment, especially if you end up becoming one of the organizers of a club or something (demonstrates leadership i guess; kind of a soft skill employers seem to like and can help if you become a manager or higher someday). 

if your school has quite specific clubs or if you do specific kinds of volunteer work, then those and the people in it could help you understand what you like and don't like (i.e. end up not wanting an outside environmental job after joining a club/volunteer force where being outside and working was required)

there's a lot to think about and i dont know your plans for the future if you have any! either way, good luck :D you've got time ^_^

Report Reply

Reply by Elena

posted

honestly i wouldn't worry too much, ENJOY YOUR SENIOR YEAR!!! i'm very serious, if you have a close friend group hang out with them and go and enjoy fun things together (while still obv caring about school and school work and such) but fr once graduation hits and highschool ends things will be different. Now college specifically, once you get there i would say take full advantage of what you're being offered. go to different clubs and events, try to befriend the people in your class, and ALWAYS communicate with your professors, most likely if they're cool they'll give you things like extensions on assignments or help you out. Enjoy it! You got this!! :)

Report Reply