« Movies, TV, Celebrities Forum

Best Animated TV Show and/or Movie?

I'm a huge fan of Over The Garden Wall and haven't found anything that has topped it. And yes, being a fan of Over The Garden Wall also means that I am a big fan of Gravity Falls.

What are your favorites and are there maybe any animated shows or movies that are often overlooked?

Report Topic

42 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Toneia

posted

I love both of those!!! I just watched them this year and have been obsessed. They were over too quickly though, so I went back to watching anime.

Report Reply

Reply by Toneia

posted

Now that I think about it, if you like those two shows, then I think you might like watching the anime Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia 

Report Reply

Reply by Red

posted

Ayyy a fellow gravity falls fan! I really think that was one of disney's best animated series, and I'm hoping the owl house and amphibia can recapture some of that magic (I'm suuper behind on both though).

Lately I've been watching a lot of the netflix original dreamworks series and they've all been really well done imo, I especially enjoyed the arcadia series, she-ra, the dragon prince, and kipo (I feel like kipo deserved so much more attention!). As for underrated shows, I was also a big fan of Tron Uprising and Sym-Bionic Titan but those really fell through the cracks after they were cancelled. 

I think my all-time favorite animated series (aside from anime lol) are probably Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Avatar (and Korra!), Samurai Jack, and I'm sure there's plenty of others I'm forgetting at the moment. I was definitely a big cartoon network fan as a kid, and still am.

Report Reply

Reply by Junky Punky Patrick

posted

As far as movies go, The Iron Giant is my favorite hands down

For shows, I really like Ren & Stimpy, Adventure Time, and Batman: The Animated Series.

Report Reply

Reply by The.Online_Mercedes

posted
updated

The owl house by Disney. It’s about this girl named Luz who believes in magic and ends in this world where magic does exist called the Boiling Isles. Look it up. It’s really good. You should also consider South Park and American Dad

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖊

posted

Over the garden wall was amazing but way too short. I really enjoyed rewatching the original powerpuff girls recently.

Report Reply

Reply by русалка

posted

Over the Garden Wall is by far my favorite animated show.

Hilda and Summer Camp Island are both really good ones too. 

Report Reply

Reply by Häuptling

posted

“The Legend of Aang“ for the best animated series and “Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse” as best animated movie.

Ngl those were top tier animated for their time and end up being my all time favorites for their storytelling 
*of cours only if we talk about animations...

Report Reply

Reply by Budweiser

posted

If you want something a little obscure and funny, Sealab 2021 is a good one. Used to air on Adult Swim back in the day.

Report Reply

Reply by Miss Solitary Ocean

posted

I loved gravity falls ! Its for sure one I go back and re-watch again and again. I really loved "Star vs. the Forces of Evil" from Disney. I thought it was really well thought out and had the best mix of humor, dorky-ness, storyline, darkness and characters. 

I was really sad when it ended! 

Report Reply

Reply by Amoni Warren

posted

My favorites are Brother Bear, Princess and Frog, Chicken Little, Hercules 

Report Reply

Reply by Alex Zavala

posted

The Tick is my favorite cartoon ever.

It used to be Venture Bros. but after long thinking I think Tick influenced how I do art and writing now 

still Venture Bros is still a top favorite!

Report Reply

Reply by mango

posted

i can't think of another show that's similar in tone, but i think "summer camp island" is similar that it takes place in a magical place. tho i must admit that season 5 of adventure time is very much in that mystical / creepy / etc. vein of over the garden wall.

Report Reply

Reply by Ghost_in_a_Jar

posted

Avatar: The Last Airbender is definitely one of the best animated TV shows. I loved the way the characters are written and how consistent everything is. Not to mention Zuko is probably one of the best examples of character development.

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse is also one fo the best animated films. The animation is so unique compared to other animated films and the details are AMAZING! The visuals are absolutely stunning. Definitely a masterpiece of a film.

Report Reply

Reply by Ðꧧï©åtêÐ ©ø®þ§ê

posted

I've seen far too many to really conclude which is the best, someone here mentioned a TV show called Downtown though which is incredibly underrated and unfortunately only lasted 1 season before getting cancelled. I think that's worth a mention.

Report Reply

Reply by Paulina<3

posted

You can watch She - ra and the Princess of Power. :)

There is many action in it. Also character are a part of lgbtq+ and its really cute.
 My pfp is catra. She is very important in that series. 

Report Reply

Reply by LesbianWitchElf

posted

millennium actress
belladonna of sadness (cw: rape)

Report Reply

Reply by thebreathtakingblue

posted

i remember i was a huge fan of over the garden wall. i should watch it again

Report Reply

Reply by Akira

posted

Best tv shows? Chowder and The Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy. Both are old shows that still hold up super well and still look great today. Both ended at a good time and have great conclusions. It didn't suffer from season rot and im happy they both had a chance to shine. Nothing honestly beats snuggling up in bed and watching chowder with a nice snack.

Report Reply

Reply by Caitlin Rose

posted

i would recommend Amphibia! you would love that show! <3 ^_^

Report Reply

Reply by WATCHLPSPOPULAR

posted

felidae is by far my favorite movie of all time, im a sucker for traditional animation but also the story is SUPER interesting to me. got lots of darker themes though so dont watch if youre sentitive to gore and adult things.

as for animated series i think my personal favorite is red vs blue- its machinima so not really animated until later seasons when it uses some impressive mocap animations more often, but its still a SHOCKINGLY good story, not to mention its by rooster teeth so the humor is pretty good. for an actual animated series i like murder drones, the pilot of which was posted in october of this year, and monkie kid is also SUPER good!! the animation in monkie kid is to DIE for i highly recommend it

Report Reply

Reply by Javauna

posted

animated shows I have to say she-ra, Daria and South Park <3

Report Reply

Reply by ♡ kashvi ♡

posted

definitely not overlooked lol, but i love corpse bride and coraline. i first watched coraline when i was 12 year old and i still watch it every halloween! they are both pretty dope so check them out if you're into the spooky side of animation <333

Report Reply

Reply by eric

posted

definitely the living guitar show

best show ive ever watched its so good

Report Reply

Reply by ☆dakota☆

posted

Two that are really underrated are Hilda and The Hollow. I really like both of them but they have pretty small fanbases.

Report Reply

Reply by neptune

posted

STEVEN UNIVERSE

STEVEN UNIVERSE
STEVEN UNIVERSE

Report Reply

Reply by HaiHai

posted

CORALINE, PARANORMAN AND ANY TIM BURTON ANIMATED MOVIE

Report Reply

Reply by lexi

posted

adventure time definitely 

Report Reply

Reply by xXkf100Xx

posted

family guy the episodes are so funny to watch, i even own a family guy book called 100 ways to kill lois but i wish there was a 100 ways to kill meg cause meg SUCKS!!!!!!!1

Report Reply

Reply by $YD

posted

As far as overlooked animation I could list so many but I'll stick with just one for now :pp...

I feel like Tear Along the Dotted Line (Strappare lungo i bordi) didn't get as much attention as it deserves, it follows a dark/harsh/depressing(?) storyline but it is such a beautiful show and is still quite humorous and entertaining (Only 6 episodes)

Report Reply

Reply by King Angry

posted

Beavis and butthead do america

Report Reply

Reply by King Angry

posted

Beavis And Butthead

Report Reply

Reply by CHERRYBIGBRAIN

posted

similar mood to Over the Garden Wall I'd say the 90's Adventures from Moominvalley 

My personal fav animated movie is probably Corpse Bride (basic ikr but the more I watch it the more I love it) 

Report Reply

Reply by Nyx/Clover

posted

Bee and Puppycat is good! There's both a Netflix series and a youtube series (which is like a more fleshed out version of the first three episodes of the netflix series, although not everything from it is necessarily cannon anymore). For something on the darker side, I'd reccomend the movie Birdboy. I also second the reccomendations others have given on this thread for Kipo and Hilda.

Report Reply

Reply by w1ms3r_rxt

posted

YOOOO i love those two as well, they have a special place in my heart.

One that i'm currently obsessing over is lego monkie kid though, it's got banger animation, fascinating plot and such charming characters. I absolutely love it.

The only thing i hate about it is how little it's advertised outside of east asian countries :(

Report Reply

Reply by Andruc Baal

posted

I like those two aswell. Over the Garden wall turned my favorite the firts time i watched it.

If you like "Mystery/Thriller" animated shows like those two, plase give a try to "Detentionaire".

Report Reply

Reply by gremlinincident

posted

I watched half the first episode of Over the Garden Wall years ago and actually tried to watch it yesterday but it isn't on any streaming services I have access to unfortunately :( But hopefully it'll get put back on netflix or disney+ someday! 

One of my favourites is Disenchantment, I feel like it gets a lot of critiques from people (which tbh a lot of them are probably valid but just not things that bother me about the show), but I still really love it! I recently got my boyfriend to start watching it with me and going back to the first episode made me see the amount of foreshadowing they had from the beginning, even just in the backgrounds of scenes and things, it's so cool! I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone, especially if you like futurama since it's Matt Groening and there are so many shared voice actors

Report Reply

Reply by Owen23

posted

I think it's Futurama, a show from the guy who brought you "The Simpsons", and there's a lot of good episodes coming from Futurama. Plus Bender is great.

Report Reply

Reply by AriDaEnby

posted

Clerks!!!!

Report Reply

Reply by Sweater_destroyurr

posted

I kno I sound like sucha NERD but Holy smokes ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE is the best animated movie I've ever seen, and I don't think anything can top it, maybe if the new beyond the spider verse movie clmes out it will top it, but we don't know yet, but so far, that's the best animated movie EVER! 

Report Reply

Reply by ❀lionel❀

posted

Perfect Blue by Satoshi Kon. Beautiful and terrifying.

Report Reply

Reply by chaBe

posted

bojack fucking horseman

Report Reply