« Movies, TV, Celebrities Forum

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)

Posted by Ergo Proxy

posted
updated

Forum: Movies, TV, Celebrities

Directed by Jaromil Jires, this film was unlike anything I have ever seen before....and I mean rather than a developed plot and individual character focus, this was like being in a dream. The eerie folk/children/instrumental made everything seem curious and new, and I suppose its true as the film is about a sort of sexual awakening at the perspective of Valerie. As a transition to adulthood, but mainitaing innocence and rather than indulging in the new and gross world she finds, Valerie observes and allows herself to be. It is lecherous in the way she is presented by camera angles, the actor is 13 in the movie?! But the events in this film are compeltely nonlinear, I have no idea what the hell is happening. I think that is the point though, because nothing makes sense and the characters die and live and change scenes so quickly I feel like I am the one dreaming as Valerie. Does anyone have better interpretations for this movie? I found some online but I was suprised to see what was officially figured out was what was actually happening before my eyes. I understand it but I don't, it is something you should watch more than once to enjoy. So maybe my rating is invalid. 

Rating:

✭✭✭

The true rating could be five stars, the only thing holding me back is the delivery of the plot itself. Everything else is beautifully filmed and wonderfully coordinated (color wise), so honestly go and find out yourself, I'm just obtuse. Can I say I liked the movie if I didnt understand it? No, so until I do it's 3 stars. 

Report Topic

0 Replies