« Dreams and the Supernatural Forum

Let's talk about witchcraft being simplified and liberalized to fit modern society mentality

Witchcraft is being simplified; that's a fact, especially in more Western-ish parts of the world. It has become not a craft that people used to study for ages, but rather a silly spiritualistic toy that claims you can do, basically, anything. People don't think about any of the existing canons and just stick some cloves into a lemon to hex their ex or stuff like that. People are running around "deities", genuinely thinking that a twitch from their Walmart candle is a sign from Aphrodite, or that after just reading "The Greater/Lesser Key of Solomon" they'll become professional demonologists, etc. And that's only if people even get to read at least something! Apparently, every second person now has a "low attention span" or self-diagnosed "ADHD".

So, what do you think about it? Are such changes something that bring witchcraft and other occult practices forward, or are they just something that shows the degradation of our society and generation? For me, to be honest, it all seems like a game, some RP that people decided to play without actually getting into it and bringing zero effort to the table. This is not really harmful, but at the same time kind of disrespectful to the actual craft and to people who dedicated their entire lives to digging into information that someone else is just too lazy to read or accept. It feels like such an ancient and sacred thing, held dear by lots of people, has just become a way of coping with harsh reality for TikTok kids. Which is not cool.

Anyways, I hope you're getting what I'm trying to say here. I just want to hear your thoughts about it and discuss this topic!

P.S. Sorry if my English is not perfect. It's not my native language. 

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by samuel

posted

As someone who is NOT an expert on witchcraft,

I'm not especially interested in witchcraft, but based on the posts about witchcraft on Tiktok and what I know about witchcraft, the art of witchcraft has most definitely been watered down to a silly trend on Tiktok. Surely there has to be more to witchcraft than just "claiming" a certain thing or "manifesting" this and that. However, many Tiktok trends on things that are considered unusual will be poorly represented, usually with little research out of most people, made up things, and watered down practices in the trends. FOR EXAMPLE, in 2020 the "alt" trend, where everyone started dressing alternatively and listening to "alt" music. Half of the people weren't even listening to the proper alt music, watering down the intensity of alternative fashion, and after the trend was over, most of them went back to being "normal" and making fun of their past selves along with alternative styles and music. Overall, it's pathetic seeing how many practices/lifestyles/subcultures are becoming watered down and poorly represented as they become upcoming trends, but it's kind of expected when teenagers don't do enough research and misinterpret what they want to make a trend of, especially witchcraft. I feel you on this topic. However I may have missed out some important topics because I'm specially interested in psychology, so I don't know much about witchcraft.

Report Reply