« Music Forum

what's up with jungle?

Posted by newcleardawn

posted

Forum: Music

i'd feel surprised if there wasn't at least one or two of you people hanging around the stratosphere lol :P it was such an integral part of y2k culture, along with the 90s rave culture of the UK. there was such a creative vibe surrounding the jungle scene as well, with multiple cultures all intersecting this singular genre and sessions even ending up on radio 1 of all places (Essential Mix anyone?). 

it's a major part of my musical interest plus there's so many vibrant, fresh sounds that came about as a result of it that were unfortunately left in the 90s and early 00s as a result of garage/ukpop taking over the mainstream airwaves - looking at you, Ibiza - and so i mean i don't blame it not being popular, but again i assume there has to be at least some hanging around these parts as it goes part and parcel with the culture that has been produced on spacehey

i also am not ignoring the current era of jungle, i mean i myself am a big fan of the mcing I see going on with junglists and it's always fun to see an LTJ Bukem tour still going on (that man never quits!). i just also realise that, despite there being a niche fanbase that is quietly growing, the peaks that jungle reached will never return unfortunately :(

anyway, what do you guys think? anyone even heard of the genre? if you just listen to dnb, what's your opinion on jungle anyway? thx and laters

Report Topic

5 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by CasanovaFly

posted

i thought the prodigy was jungle but apparently its not according to their wiki

but i also listen to this sound cloud artist named F. Tate, i love it cause its kinda like hip hop but crazier on the drums which is my favorite, could you recommend me some jungle artists??:D

Report Reply

Reply by Techn0

posted

The main problem is, people mistaken breakcore with jungle. So the real jungle never sees the light of day and gets overshadowed by breakcore. I could talk on and on about how awful new breakcore is like sewerslvt & other bullshit is, but most already know. I would love to see a modern revival or worship of LTJ bukem, Fabio-esque 90s DJ sets though. Those are legendary

Report Reply

Reply by lucid

posted

It's quite confusing these days. Music using break beat has been divided way too much that now it's too confusing to put labels on them, recent rise of artists like sewerslvt and Tokyopill turned breakcore into a completely different genre, back in the days breakcore was more of an experimental electronic music subgenre, produced by artists like Aphex Twin, Venetian snares, etc. Now there's a constant war about what's breakcore what's liquid dnb, what's jungle or what's ambient jungle people keep calling this music with different labels and arguing about which one is right. From what I understand though, breakcore is the standard term for this music now.

Report Reply

Reply by newcleardawn

posted

ayy I love tokyopill, I've talked to him a few times along with blksmiith ^^

Report Reply

Reply by mumube (she/her)

posted

Tbh I don’t think I get to have a say in any of this, I just recently got into the whole jungle/DnB/breakcore scene and there’s been a whole bunch of discourse over how to categorize it lately. Either way I’m just here for the funky digital noises. They sound nice 👍 

Report Reply