« Web, HTML, Tech Forum

I wish indieweb sites and forums had more accessibility to people with visual impairment

Posted by Emaemaema

posted

Forum: Web, HTML, Tech

I recently found out that I have a little bit of astigmatism (context: I started taking face-to-face French lessons, and I need to take the bus to come and go. Usually, when the lesson is over, around 5:20 p.m., the sky is already getting dark. Here in Brazil the buses have a sign with letters in neon indicating the path that bus takes. But at night, for me, my vision is very blurry [as if it were raining] and my eyes start to water because of the sensitivity to very strong light on a dark background. Because of that, I already missed buses, because I couldn't read the sign in time. I went to the ophthalmologist and found out that I have astigmatism. I need to make the lens of the glasses, but here in Brazil it costs a kidney.)

Because of that, when I'm reading something in a forum like Yesterweb or MelonLand, my vision gets really fucked up. My eyes starts to scramble the letters, and I can't mentally read what they mean, I can only see them. And because I have to concentrate my vision in a lot on words, which are in small font, my head starts to hurt and my eyes get tired.

I think it is cool the customization of each site, the way it looks like it is from the 2000s/90s and everything but, it hurts my brain to use it because of the amount of information displayed that can't be modifiede by each user. I don't think this topic has a lot to be discussed, I just wanted to share my discomfort.

Report Topic

9 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by NosyCat

posted
updated

I have to keep SpaceHey at 150% zoom too, but it's working very well that way. On the desktop, at least. Is it only the text size that's bothering you?

Report Reply

Reply by Emaemaema

posted

I can use pretty well SpaceHey, since it has a white background with dark text, my problem really is other forums/sites that primarily uses dark background with white text and don't let us change it. It makes it hard for me to read for to long. 

Report Reply

Reply by VKNIGHT

posted

Hello there. I also face a similar issue as I have a slight visual impairment. It is nothing major, but it does annoy me after a couple of minutes. A method I have found is to look away from the screen for about a minute whenever my eyes are irritated as well as keep the screen zoomed in.

Report Reply

Reply by VKNIGHT

posted

Hello there. I also face a similar issue as I have a slight visual impairment. It is nothing major, but it does annoy me after a couple of minutes. A method I have found is to look away from the screen for about a minute whenever my eyes are irritated as well as keep the screen zoomed in.

Report Reply

Reply by Emaemaema

posted

Thank you for your tip!

Report Reply

Reply by slouch

posted
updated

if i can't read something in my usual browser i'll read it in elinks

"lynx" looks pretty similar and is for windows if that's your thing

https://invisible-island.net/lynx/

maybe that helps someone, i don't know.

Report Reply

Reply by Emaemaema

posted

Thank you!

Report Reply

Reply by delicious2003

posted
updated

I'm totally blind, so I browse the web with a screen reader. My only anoyance is regarding captchas, cloudflare and such stuff, so I need to click the images randomly to create my spacehey account. A solution is to disable features like Java-Script in the browser, it improves reading web pages. However most popular sites might not work without Java-Script, so you might have a browser with js enabled and other browser with js disabled. Another possibility is to create a custom css, but I'm not sure how can be applied a custom css to a web browser). The code can be something like this:
*{
background-color: white;
color: black;
}

A solution to handle custom styles could be to create aa Java-Script userscript for Tampermonkey, and that might work since Java-Script can override css.

Report Reply

Reply by Emaemaema

posted

Thank you for your tip !!

Report Reply