« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

Just deleted all other social media!

I finally did it! 

Convinced myself it was best to finally steer away from the mainstream social media. 
It always made me feel so left out, from no new people hitting me up to watching people’s awesome lives go by on their stories while I’m living in a hell of a difficult time, it was really depressing. 
Coincidentally, I stumbled upon this site and although I never got on MySpace, I’m thankful that this is here now and I hope it leads to meeting some new, awesome people!

Report Topic

35 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Josh

posted

Same. I don't understand how anyone uses stuff like Facebook seriously at all. It seems like super vapid and boring.

Report Reply

Reply by bot

posted

and to bounce off Josh's reply, it looks so confusing to actually use, too

Report Reply

Reply by Joe Jett

posted

It is nice, it feels like leaving a loveless abusive relationship for someone who's always made you happy. 

Social Media never used to make people upset or feel brain dead, everyone was excited to use it and interact with eachother. 

Report Reply

Reply by George the Whomst

posted

Hopefully this isn’t just a joke site and it last.

Report Reply

Reply by TONY LEON 555

posted

see u on the other side my man ^_^

Report Reply

Reply by TONY LEON 555

posted

Report Reply

Reply by TONY LEON 555

posted

Report Reply

Reply by Aaron

posted

I don’t think it’s a joke site. It’s a lot of effort to make and upkeep. I wouldn’t put it pass the internet though lol 

Report Reply

Reply by Swiftpaw

posted

Spacehey has a lot of passionate people who want to see it succeed, so I'm more optimistic about it 

Report Reply

Reply by umbrykane

posted

George, the site is a year old and is steadily growing. SH has articles written about it and have small mass groupings, but i think this is the first time its trended on twitter

Report Reply

Reply by Merzcat

posted

I have been praying for a site like this to come along for so long.
It never made sense to me that myspace was allowed to die and be replaced by facebook.
Something like myspace is so much more appealing and with how popular sites like tumblr are you would think there would have been a popular myspace alternative to come along.
Hopefully this site continues to grow and evolve and doesn't fade away.

Report Reply

Reply by Carson

posted

I don’t think we all really knew what we were getting ourselves into when we joined the big social media platforms in the late 2000’s/early 2010’s. Who could have prophesied they would have exploded into multi-billion dollar companies who develop the most sophisticated ways to exploit user data to get rich?

I think we need more people to ditch the big platforms and recapture the magic of the way we did things back in the day.

I think I’ll probably delete my other social media accounts as well.

Report Reply

Reply by BALDHEADDEV

posted

I've also deleted all my other social accounts. I preferred being on the internet back in the day when I wasn't consistently being sold and marketed too in the way they do today..

Report Reply

Reply by kickasskunoichi

posted

Carson:

I agree 100%. And I like your page. 

Report Reply

Reply by Deja Rodriguez

posted

That's where I'm starting to head to. Facebook has been nothing but drama for me for the past 5 years but I'm happy Facebook introduced me to this website  

Report Reply

Reply by unrestedjade

posted

Bravo. Lately I've been thinking about doing the same. It's such a time sink-- hours can go by that I could have been doing something actually -fun- instead of doomscrolling. Twitter especially. I've met some cool people there but the overall feel is so toxic. Bad news you can't do anything about. People getting into blowout fights or brigading over the stupidest things. And like you said, the FOMO really gets under your skin after a while.

Hopefully this place sticks around. Adoption always seems to be the make or break with non-corporate alternatives (DreamWidth losing most of the LiveJournal refugees to Tumblr, then PillowFort losing most of the Tumblr refugees to Twitter, lol.)

Report Reply

Reply by natalie

posted

idk this website seems like a leftist reddit to me, which is fine, but i'm still an addict because i need the escapism from my irl life, you know? congrats on having self control tho!

Report Reply

Reply by Millennial Dread

posted

We didn’t know how good we had it on MySpace till it was gone. 

Report Reply

Reply by Millennial Dread

posted

We didn’t know how good we had it on MySpace till it was gone. 

Report Reply

Reply by soloninja

posted

Awesome to hear that more and more people are doing this. 

Report Reply

Reply by .keaton.

posted

I did this 2 days ago - even deleted all of the music I’d recorded and posted.

The standard social platforms are so anxiety inducing, and I found myself constantly comparing my life to someone else’s. I’ve been slowly feeling the anxiety disappear the longer I am away from it all. 

I’m so happy to be back in a quiet little corner on the internet where I can just exist and talk to nice people.

Report Reply

Reply by 𝓐𝓵𝓮𝔁𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪

posted

i really have been enjoying the slower pace since i got rid of 99% of my social media. <33

Report Reply

Reply by XinsertmyinnerfeelingsX

posted

in the process of doing the exact same thing....Modernity is so scary, especially the direction corporations are handling social media these days.

Report Reply

Reply by Juli :>

posted

I would do that honestly, spacehey is much more fun tbh and it isn't depressing lol good for you dude

Report Reply

Reply by Genisis

posted

Reply by jen

posted

bc of bad friend experiences (where i was also at fault cus im low key petty), i decided it was best to remove everyone i dont actively talk to on social media and remove apps that i dont even use 90% of the time. then it evolved into me only using one app to talk to my frineds, and now ive deleted all the other apps, and the only app i use is one where i dont have to look at all these posts about how good/bad someones life is, comparing it to mine and overall being miserable because of what i consume daily. i just deleted the last app today and it really felt like i just healed some sort of wound i created when i wasnt even 12. proud of myself and everyone who decides this is the best decision for them <3

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕷_𝕾𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖙𝖊𝖇𝖊𝖑

posted

I kinda did the same thing!

I deleted everything ecxept insta, cause I talk to most my friends on there and i post my art there, I got one of those old skool phones where u can't have any social media cuz it's too tempting for me, it's really working out great for me! I noticed that since I've made that decision I'm starting to get better mentally :)

I agree with you about the social media thing, it just brings u down man, there's nothing social about it anymore. Just you looking at seemingly perfect people with their "perfect" lives. They just start getting into ur brain and u start thinking that that is how ur supposed to live and what ur supposed to look like and it's just depressing. Platforms like this are way better, u can just talk to ppl n show the things ur proud of, it's way better :)

p.s I'm rlly proud of u for making that decision!!

Report Reply

Reply by xxxx mck xxxx

posted

I'm going to try my best to be brave enough to unplug from the other social media sites. I feel so dependent on them to see my friends and family, and I'm worried that if I disengage they will stop interacting with me. I think that social media has evolved to that kind of thinking, which is so toxic. Why should I have to perform for their communications?

Report Reply

Reply by Neo

posted

I did this years ago once I realized there wasn't an audience for the type of content I wanted to post. The returns I was receiving for the input were also very unsatisfying. I've never really been one for "dopamine hits" in the first place? Not to mention the only way I achieved this was through creative works such as digital art, and while very fun sometimes (and I won't humbly say I don't make nice pieces every now and then), performing for others is exhausting and shouldn't be the core motivation for creating save for those who profoundly enjoy it. It feels nice to have approval for maybe a miniscule few seconds, but at the end of the day everyone is socially isolated.

Report Reply

Reply by -XxJOSHxX-

posted

I stopped using most social media in 2021 and just used tiktok, but i feel like i want to delete tiktok now because its getting too toxic nowadays.

Report Reply

Reply by Jenn

posted

I still have socials to text friends n post memories on my private account because the main account just feels so depressing and pressuring. I found spacehey and i really love it its so fun.

Report Reply

Reply by ‎‧₊˚✧ Sunray ✧˚₊‧

posted

I have three major social media sites left! (not counting youtube). I only have one of them to check up on my friends, another that i'm trying to stop using, and another based off of that one that's a collage maker that I actually really like (although might stop using out of boredom after a while). Youtube I don't use often but I may rely on it more once I stop using the other social media sites?

Report Reply

Reply by blueboy0309

posted

Im currently trying to dumb down my smart phone. I deleted instagram but i gotta admit ive become addicted to a lot of other apps >:((( 

Report Reply

Reply by Vicky

posted

I'm on Facebook because everyone I know IRL is on there but I've never liked it. As has been said it's boring as hell and intrusive and restrictive and the community standards are absolute nonsense. Even THEY don't know what rules they're enforcing.

I'm a "Power Admin" on Facebook meaning I'm in this special group that Facebook employees interact with and they won't even discuss their rule enforcement policies or privacy policies with us. But it's next to impossible to admin there because they're completely inconsistent about their own rules. Anything about those topics are deleted. It represents everything I hate about the modern internet. Twitter isn't much better, but people think it is for some reason.

Discord is OK, it reminds me of the Yahoo chat rooms a bit. But it's harder to meet people on there.

Hopefully I can get to where some of you are and be totally off these modern platforms entirely. The only one I might keep is Discord.

Report Reply

Reply by -XxJOSHxX-

posted

same gotta keep Tiktok ho

Report Reply