« Back to the Sword Art Online Forum

A show of differences between the English subtitles versus the English dub of a part of Alicization E20.

I wanted to talk at length about the issues I have with SAO's English dub, but I don't feel like going through all that effort. I'll just show this script difference. It's worth noting that the vocal performances differ as well. If I weren't lazy I'd say how they're different.

Alicization Episode 20

Translation
Yuki Urakawa

English dub script writer
Alex von David

Netflix Subtitles (Crunchyroll's subs are different; there're at least two official English translations)

Alice: Usually the only people mad enough to wield two swords are pretentious, high-ranking nobles; but for some reason, it suits you.

Kirito: You think so? Still, there's no way I can swing two swords at the same time.

English Dub

Alice: Some have tried to wield two swords before, mostly pretentious upperclass noblemen looking to impress; you, oddly enough, seem rather imposing.

Kirito: Uh, oh, you think? I can't imagine fighting with two swords though; that'd be crazy.

Posted on UTC December 18, 2022, 8:56 PM.

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by rosydam

posted

Your profound impact on my life cannot be measured by mere words, for your selflessness, wisdom, and unconditional love have shaped me into the person I amĀ Pokemon Infinite Fusion today, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Report Reply