« Back to the Weirdcore Film Lovers Forum

Weekly Movie Roundup [pinned]

Now Showing

What movies have you seen this week?

I always find I go through periods of intensely watching movies and periods of not watching any at all. I figure the best way to combat this would be to share the movies we've watched

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Ben

posted

this week was mostly films for coursework! all chernukha -- basically exploitation films with nihilistic philosophy seeking to critique late-soviet decay during perestroika. 

Little Vera (Malenkaya Vera, 1988), dir: Vasili Pichul 

Courier (Kuryer, 1986), dir: Karen Shakhnazarov 

Assa (1987), dir: Sergei Solovyov 

The Fountain (Fontan, 1988), dir: Yuri Mamin 

honestly, all of these were great. it's fascinating to see a completely organic exploitation genre that shares almost no characteristics with the rest of continental europe or north america. 

Report Reply

Reply by ✨Lo✨

posted

That sounds facinating! Which of those was ur fav?

As for me, it was one of those not so many movie weeks.

Suicide Club- Honestly great, I didn't think I'd like it but it was right up my alley, Honestly impressive considering it's low budget. It's not entirely subtle, but I don't think it was trying to be, which was fun!

Old- I'm a sucker for a bad movie. I saw this one with my bf and we were cracking up over how terrible the dialogue was. I feel like if they rewrote it it could have been good, the premise actually isn't horrible.

Report Reply

Reply by brainworms

posted

Rewatched Fantastic Planet a while ago. Truly great visuals. The paper-craft animation and out-of-this-world visuals truly bring an eerieness no film has ever been able to capture for me. An eerieness and curiosity. The main emotion sci-fi should spark is Curiosity, so I think this one bullseyed it. Story was a little lacking, but a classic tale.

6.5/10

Report Reply