« Back to the Ye Olde School Heavy Metal Forum

First heavy metal song?

What was the first heavy metal song?

Heavy Metal. The term was slippery in the late 60's, and practically synonymous with 'acid rock' and 'hard rock'. So what are the distinct elements? I'd say distortion, wailing guitar solos, crunchy rhythm guitar chords, particularly power chords, with the rhythm being mostly straight eighths or galloping eighths, heavy drums, and vocals that at least drift into either a 'screech' if higher, or a 'growl' if lower. There are other elements that are 'bonus' points, I'd say, like aesthetics, lyrical themes, composition, etc. But might not be 'essential'.

Okay, so I'd say the issue of who is the first heavy metal band and fist heavy metal album is settled in my mind, "Black Sabbath" released by Black Sabbath on Feb. 13th (a Friday) in 1970.
But what is the first heavy metal song? One that combines enough of the essential elements?
Right now, I'd say Blue Cheer's cover of "Summertime Blues" released in Jan. 1968. I MIGHT consider the entire album "Vincebus Eruptum" to be the first metal album, predating Sabbath, but I think too much of it owes more to 'acid rock' with some of the essentials missing.
Thoughts? Earlier candidates?

Report Topic

0 Replies