« Religion and Philosophy Forum

why is religion and philosophy paired together

i feel like they're complete opposites of each other and it also makes it hard to sift through to find a topic. Unless someone wants to offer an opinion or a reason i will be confused

Report Topic

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ★ zhuva ★

posted

i think it's more of that, religion in a way is philosophy. at least, a part of it is. deities might not really be part of philosophy, but what religions teach us: a way of life, how things should be, what's right and what's wrong, could be considered as philosophical beliefs, therefore being a part of philosophy.

idk tho :P

Report Reply

Reply by ★ zhuva ★

posted

also, if a person believes that their god is responsible for everything exiting, including humanity and it's creations, then yes, they would believe that god is responsible for philosophy, and it wouldn't really be wrong. if one argues that god is not responsible for philosophy, then one must also argue about what god truly is, and what it/they can do, eventually the argument will lead to the questions of whether or not gods, or deities in general, exist and for what reasons were religions created for. 

i was mainly referring to Christianity, since you stated "he might even be a Jesus freak", but i'm sure this applies to most religions :)

Report Reply

Reply by Red Monaca

posted

Historically speaking, philosophy and religion have always been intertwined, the one enriching the other (or sometimes strangling it). That was the case with Christianity and Scholasticism during the Middle Ages, Hinduism and Buddhism influencing the trajectory of ancient Indian philosophy, and theologically-inflected cosmological matters are central to the Chinese philosophies of Confucianism and Taoism (so much so that the latter is also considered a religion).

Report Reply

Reply by LEROY

posted

It's hard to put into words tbh, so I'm probably about to be confusing lol. I apologize in advance. I think religion and philosophy are related but it's kind of like when some people say they're "spiritual" and not "religious". To me, religion is the belief in a supreme power and worshipping it as the creator and controller of the universe without reasoning or evidence really... it's more so about a set of rules, ethics, principles, practices, etc. Religion has stronger beliefs in the power of faith or even supernatural things, while philosophy asks more questions. It's a way of thinking and deals with self discipline, morals and the search for the ultimate truth, knowledge, and understanding about the existence of life itself. I hope a piece of that somewhat made sense.

Report Reply

Reply by Iamthewalrus

posted

It's part of the same question. Honestly so is politics but I am so tired of politics especially party politics! Especially American haha, touches me not who they vote for.

Religion seeks to give answers to questions like "is there a god?" "how should we live our lives?" "what happens after we die?" "why did the world begin?" "why is there good and evil?"

These are philosophical questions.

What bothers me more is when I signed up to do philosophy at sixth form. I was expecting to hear from all sorts of people on all sorts of questions. Nah. It was basically old school RS ie apologetics. It was framed as a debate between Christians and atheists about whether Christianity was true or not. We learnt more different perspectives in GCSE RE as at least you'd hear about the other major world religions there as well! 

They even lied about pre-Christian philosophers and split them off into this idea. According to my teachers Plato believed in Heaven because of his idea of the 'forms'. This is nonsense, he didn't believe in the idea of Heaven in a Christian sense because he lived BCE. 

So to me, Christian perspectives are welcome but also other religions and atheist explanations & the various atheistic schools of thought are welcome on the forum into looking into these questions.

Report Reply

Reply by valocity95

posted

probably because religion and philosophy are interwoven and have been for most of modern(ish) history. religion is SUCH a big topic, if not the biggest/most overarching topic in philosophy. religion ties into free will ties into every question ever...

or because it's the only other "oddball" topic =|

Report Reply