« Games Forum

What are some games you hated at first but came to enjoy later on?

Posted by Kaya Krule

posted
updated

Forum: Games

I remember trying to get into the Metroid games many different times when I was younger but could never do it. It was too boring and impossible for my child brain to comprehend, so I just figured I despised the Metroid series and other Metroidvanias alike.

Fast-forward several years later and now I'm in love with the Metroid series and have pretty much 100% completed most games in the series, and Metroidvanias are up there amongst my favorite genres. I would punch my kid self in the face if I could for not sticking with it and experiencing these games sooner. I <3 them games with all my <3.

So what about you all? Any games or genres of games you weren't particularly fond of at first, only to become hopelessly infatuated with later on in life?

Report Topic

14 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Yuchun!

posted

Megaman powered up looked stupid to me as a kid

then I played it, easily a superior remake, playing as the robot masters is so cool.

A lot of the music still sucks ass though :c

Report Reply

Reply by Kaya Krule

posted

I liked the little chibi art style a lot for Powered Up when I was younger, something about it spoke to me.

I also thought being able to play as the robot masters was wicked cool too. A shame the game is locked in PSP prison, but nothing a little emulating can't fix.

I haven't heard the soundtrack but it's pretty funny that for a series like Megaman, which usually has a banging OST, has a sucky one for an entry that's supposed to be a remake lol.

Report Reply

Reply by Ash

posted

to be honest the game i didnt like was terraria, my little brain didnt know what to do but now i play it with friends sometimes and enjoy it a decent bit, another was the binding of isaac, i would watch my uncle play it and thought it looked rubbish but now i spend quite a lot of time on it bc of how simple it is 

Report Reply

Reply by Kaya Krule

posted

Binding of Isaac and Terraria rule, glad you came around to liking them eventually. Those are certified awesome vidya games.

Binding of Isaac in particular is one game that I've always quite enjoyed, I remember playing the old flash game demo on Newgrounds way back then. Hell, I'm pretty sure BoI:Rebirth was the first game I bought on Steam when it was released. Good times.

Terraria is cool, I've sunk many hours playing with friends, and also infecting friends who've never played the game with it. I never really "completed" it though, I don't think I've even fought the Mechanical bosses once. One guy I introduced the game to just went full gamer. I joined his world once and saw just how far into the late game he was in, and I was shocked. I was also pretty envious.

Report Reply

Reply by coolkidjpg

posted

honestly league of legends probably
but im still an avid hater of it LMAO
it just somehow sucked me into it

also maybe dark souls bc i played them as a kid and i was bad and hated them, but
i replayed in my teens and i fell in love with the souls series

Report Reply

Reply by Kaya Krule

posted

I’ve got a weird relationship with League, every year I manage to convince myself that I’d like to play just one match and get back into it and once I do I just never play the game again until the next year. I constantly played it when I was younger, I think I just outgrew it.

I like Soulsborne games, however I was always kind of scared of them when I was younger. I was spooked by the dark nature of the souls. Bloodborne ended up being my first eventually though, but I didn’t even complete get to complete it. I think I just got frustrated and scared lol. Until recently, the only FromSoft game I’ve completed is Elden Ring, which I adore. I’m trying to play Dark Souls 1 and am having a great time dying.

Report Reply

Reply by pesco

posted

Probably 007: Nightfire. I absolutely love that game now, but when I was younger my stupid dumb smooth child brain couldn't figure out where to go (even though it literally tells you in game LMAO).

but yeah now I think it's great and is arguably one of the best shooters on the gamecube (especially at its price).

Report Reply

Reply by ~Ime~

posted

Bayonetta...I was very skeptical because the combat was confusing but after playing it for a while, I begin to like it. 

Report Reply

Reply by Kaya Krule

posted

I've never played a 007 game, and never really got the chance to. But the phrase "one of the best shooters on the GameCube" is enough to get me interested. Gamecube games are cool.

Bayonetta is sick, I like the first game more than the second. Haven't played the third game yet, but I don't really know if I want to. There's definitely a learning curve in the game regarding it's combat, takes a bit to love, but getting thorugh it is so satisfying.

Report Reply

Reply by AndyFishy

posted

Monster Hunter was definitely mine. Never made sense to play it when I was a kid. Tried World, and now its all my buddies and I play. It’s been great, cant wait to start Rise when we finish the iceborne dlc.

Report Reply

Reply by Kaya Krule

posted

Love Monster Hunter. I'm also in the middle of a World playthrough and am having a blast. I've played 3 Ultimate on the 3DS way back but only got to play the demo haha. I played it obsessively though. Admittedly I didn't play another MH game after that until World released and I got itr for PS4. Didn't finish it then when I was younger but I have it on PC now so I'm doing it.

Report Reply

Reply by Gothbian

posted

Fire emblem 3 houses, I HATED the start but my partner was so into the game I wanted to push through and ended up being one of my favourite experiences ever, I can never put into words how much I LOVED my blue lions playthrough
My experience with it has geniunely made me more open minded with games and making me try alot I wouldn't usually play

Report Reply

Reply by H I M E

posted

Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons

I had A Wonderful Life on Gamecube, and Island of Happiness on DS. I was young and didn't see the point or appeal of the games. I liked the animals and growing crops, but the rest of the game was lost on me. I didn't know marriage was even an aspect of the game, much less how to pursue one of the characters. And the stamina system in Island of Happiness makes the game basically unplayable. And after not talking to people every day in that game, I had someone move away! It was honestly a mood killer.

Nowadays, farming sims are my favorite genre of game to play. But I really only play the ones that have romance options in them: Story of Seasons, My Time at Portia, Rune Factory, Stardew, etc. Like, if there's no romance options, then the game better have some incredible artistic appeal and top tier crafting/customization.

Report Reply

Reply by ease_wastrel

posted

i don't think i've ever experienced such thing, it takes like 5 hours for me to come into a conclusion and i usually don't ever come back once say that i don't like it

@Kaya Krule and @Ash but i'm glad you could enjoy metroid and tboi later, those are like my fav games

Report Reply