« Back to the MonsterHigh Forum

G3 thoughts?

Posted by Pansy

posted

Forum: MonsterHigh Group

What are everyone's thoughts on G3 so far? 

Report Topic

37 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Leah <3

posted

They took away all the good rep they had. OG Draculaura is still the only Romani character I've seen in media that's not a thief or just mean. And clawdeen was such good lesbian rep and now she's with deuce. They also make ghoulia speak English. Ik reboots usually change stuff but they've changed all the characters and not even in a good way.

Report Reply

Reply by Finn

posted

Personally i think its -in a way- the best Generation. While yes, we had representation in G1, there's much more in G3. In generation one we had other races, but most of the time they were pushed down as background characters (skelita, jinafire) or explained away as they are that color because of their monster (Clawdeen.) In generation one there were LGBT characters, that were never stated to be so other than in a qna of characters planned to be so (clawdeen, kieran, neighthan) But not, in g3, theres much much more representation. Theres Clawdeen, a (possibly) bisexual biracial latina half-human monster. Theres Lagoona, a (possibly) LGBT latina monster. Theres Draculaura, a half-romanian half-taiwanese pagan vampire. Theres Frankie, a nonbinary monster. And so much more. 

Report Reply

Reply by Xxpipz_not_herexX

posted

s -> z typing quirk

i perzonally really like the ztyle of the new zhow. while there haz been a lot of controverzial stuff zurronding Lagoona Blue, i'm not really into her new dezign

Report Reply

Reply by bluudcat

posted

Personally I like G1 the best. its just iconic. im not a big fan of the newer designs, and I think they watered down the alternative style so much. it used to be freaky fabulous now it kind of just meh yk. I wish they just continued with g1s style

Report Reply

Reply by Dani ♡

posted

I don't really like how they got stripped of most of the gothic or otherworldly looks. I liked the representation however it doesn't feel like monster high, it almost feels like a knock off and I miss the old monster high. :(

Report Reply

Reply by vkkxsr

posted

idk i like most of the dolls (mostly draculaura) but i hate the movie and the series, i don't like the changes they made for example how they took away draculauras accent, clawdeens style and sass, neferas whole personality etc. and  how they added the forced rep, i mean i like representation but it just feels so cringe when it's forced like when frankie talks about their pronouns and stuff it just feels so wierd. yk what i mean?

Report Reply

Reply by ♡𝓜𝓮𝓶𝓶𝔂♡

posted

honestly i think the designs are super cute!! not too into the show but i like the new dolls. a few designs arent my favorite but i still like most of them. twyla and abbey might be my fav designs so far

Report Reply

Reply by metanoia

posted

the only thing i've found to like about g3 are the dolls,, they're super articulated now which is super cool to me and makes me wish that the dolls were like that when i was growing up and i also really enjoy the different body type molds they used!! i feel like some of the designs fell flat though,, like lagoona's doll. it's cute but it feels like it's be more of a diff outfit doll for like, a movie or something than it would be a main outfit,, i feel like the only one who's relatively retained the same og mh vibe is draculaura and maybe frankie to some extent (visual design wise)

Report Reply

Reply by ghost_chi

posted

I'm fine with it but I wish that G1 was back and I feel like G3 dolls are just for little kids and not for everyone like it was before but G3 fans are like shitting on G1 for nothing and not cool at all and G3 dolls are kinda bad quality and Clawdeens new design made for look like a total nerd and I don't like it and don't get me started on health oh my god what happened to my dude he looks bald but not at the same time but I really like the new Abbey doll and the second wave of the lockers they look great but I feel G3 is for little kids and I don't really like it and I'm not a big fan of the show ether but I think the show is cute :)

Report Reply

Reply by ALEX/EVAN ☆

posted

genuinely gets so much unnecessary hate .. i LOVE g3 !! they genuinely have such good body type and neurodivergent rep i love it sm sm !!!!!!! ppl say they took away the main point of the dolls which is " to be alt " ... the whole point is that theyre monsters . not that they dress alternatively 

Report Reply

Reply by Alien

posted

not my fav but i love how they made the body types more inclusive! >:D

Report Reply

Reply by Alien

posted

not my fav but i love how they made the body types more inclusive! >:D

Report Reply

Reply by ♡ Haru ♡

posted

I was on the fence at first but the newer releases have been very pretty, especially the skulltimate secret line. I still don't really care for G3 Clawdeen in cartoons, but she looks great in doll form. I like the thicker bodies too (Abby looks amazing). Not a fan of the ships in this gen but that's what fanfic/art is for. The production quality of the dolls seem... sketchy, but that's not really MH problem but a Mattel problem. At least MH is getting better treatment than Barbie I guess (not that that's a high bar to jump)

Report Reply

Reply by Hellokittyari

posted

im kind of in the middle about it, there some things i like and there some things that i hate. i dont like how they took away some of the personality from the charaters. im also not a big fan of the designs for some of the charaters, like lagoonas. i appreciate that they are trying new things tho.

Report Reply

Reply by LUZER!!!1!🌱/🧟‍♂️

posted

Personally I really like it and thinks it’s quite underrated.When the dolls came out i get that a lot of people were unsure of the new gain but in my opinion the dolls have really improve from the core g3 line to now.One complain I do have though is with the poly hair on some of the newer dolls :’(

I don’t understand why they did that change.

Report Reply

Reply by Zenobia

posted

I really like the dolls designs (except lagoona) I just don’t really like the new show or movie. They changed every character completely and none of it was really good imo. I do like how the dolls are different heights and body shapes though :)

Report Reply

Reply by .°•☆STAR•M0NKEY☆•°.

posted

Despite what ive been hearing online i think that the g3 dolls r cute i mean they have nice articulation and the body positivity + the design is really nice but if im being completely honest they dont really have the style and they dont stick with you as much as the original designs which were just plain iconic and the shows, toys, books, etc r just better but overall i think g3 is ok but like what the did to clawdeen is shameful

Report Reply

Reply by Bunny

posted

I personally don’t mind the g3 doll,I absolutely adore the new articulation,although I wish that Mattel gave the boy dolls chest articulation as well..

Report Reply

Reply by yuki rosemoon

posted

I really like it!! Nonbinary frankie is really important to me because they're a nonbinary person who looks like me. Nonbinary rep doesn't have to be androgynous all the time!! :>
I also really like Twyla Boogeyman's austistic representation, makes me happy. 

I'd say the only thing I'm really upset about is Ghoulia now being a speaking person, instead of the nonspeaking sort of rep that she had before. I know they were speaking "zombie", but it really made a lot of people feel seen. She also has big autistic vibes.

Also, Frankie gives me autistic + DID vibes!! And I really like it!! <33

Report Reply

Reply by blush

posted

i feel like lagoona blue has been modernized to fit the rainbow unicorn look all kids toys have now. she was blonde and not a bombshell, her shyness was portrayed perfectly in old design- besides could u imagine the coquetteness she could give us now oohhhff! #notmylagoona #robbed #notmarketedformesowhatever

Report Reply

I really like g3 but the only thing I don't like is clawden and spectras designs, I just think clawden wearing glasses it weird, just stick with the og designs, but the LGBT representation and the autism representation in Twyla makes me so happy bcz Twyla is literally my favorite character

Report Reply

Reply by Boop

posted

I really like gen 3, I like the most of the designs and I think the difference body types are super cool. I don’t like lagoona’s designs though 

Report Reply

Reply by saturn !!

posted

is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. yes, i prefer G1, but, G3 has a lot of great representation through a lot of characters, which is ofc a positive. the character redesigns aren’t THATTT horrible and the characters personalities are cute. people are being dramatic with how much they are hating on it tbh :P

Report Reply

Reply by saturn !!

posted

is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. yes, i prefer G1, but, G3 has a lot of great representation through a lot of characters, which is ofc a positive. the character redesigns aren’t THATTT horrible and the characters personalities are cute. people are being dramatic with how much they are hating on it tbh :P

Report Reply

Reply by s0up

posted

I love g3! They are very different from g1 & g2 but i think thats ok, since they arent even set in the same universe and are targeted at different people now. I think they're so cute and diverse (i havent watched many things but i have some dolls) and i dont get the hate. I think all gens are good and i love g3

Report Reply

Reply by Sunni

posted

It's good for what it is, but it can't compare to G1. Some of the dolls are cute, but I miss the iconic movies, dolls, fashion styles and the lessons it taught about being yourself! The show is pretty good ngl but I haven't gotten around to the live action movies, I don't think I ever will.

Report Reply

Reply by caitz

posted

in terms of design and dolls, i actually really enjoy it, i like how the dolls have different body types that are more realistic and i do like their designs (dont get me wrong i totally prefer g1 designs i just also like g3 designs)

as much as i really really miss g1, i like g3 and the directions theyre going with it, especially listening to their fans in constructive criticisms in the dolls designs, as they keep getting better and better (I LITERALLY AM GOING TO SMYTHS ON RELEASE DAY TO BUY G3 VENUS I NEED HER)

i really enjoy the series they have, just forever mourning cleo and deuce LOL. as far as the movies go i have mixed opinions on it as i dont rlly like live action, however i cant help but just look at the costume designing

i am a little upset about them changing most characters accents to american, as i and many others really enjoyed having characters with not... american accents? idk if that makes sense but if u get what i mean it makes more sense for a character from Transylvania to not have an american accent, than to have one?

i completely understand the need to cater for younger children because im noticing a trend of children growing up extremely quickly, my aunt is a childminder and she knows parents who have had their 9 year old kids ask for skincare having stopped playing with dolls at around 7, as when we were younger we were playing with monster high up to age 10 or more, depending how u grew up. im not mad at them for it because they need to accommodate for that specific age group, and im really happy that there is more monster high content for me to consume.

also just happy that mattel are still choosing to produce some of the g1 dolls as creepros and continuing to make merchandise and skullectors of the og characters and not entirely erasing them and making it hard to find merch, hoping to get draculaura, clawdeen, frankie and lagoona if and when they restock, and maybe spectra from the new creepros if i can, or maybe if im lucky wave one? 

i really hope any of this made sense but my opinion on g3 varies based off of which specific aspect of it we are talking about, like dolls, series, merch, movies etc.#

have a fangtastic day!

Report Reply

Reply by oliolioxenfree

posted

I think G3 is good for a new generation of monster high fans. Obviously, the designs don’t compare to the ones in G1 and I think they’ve made some interesting character choices for previously beloved characters. I am excited to see what they do with characters that had amazing designs in G1 ie. Robecca, Rochelle, Operetta. I do LOVE the new Venus doll. I think she’s gorgeous and imo looks better than the G1 doll. 

Report Reply

Reply by silvie

posted

i mean ill always have a place for g1 in my heart but ive been enjoying the new releases, although i defo do have some critiques of the dolls its clear theyre taking a very different approach to g3 so idk if its fair to really compare them one to one. i much prefer the design ethos of g1 but g3 has its own merits too (eg more joints & poseability, more body types meaning more unique dolls, etc)

Report Reply

Reply by Vamp

posted

MY OPINION

I think that the new gen, just lost what Monster High was, I don´t know how to explain it but is just not the same at all, it doesn't feel like it's the same show, dolls and movies. I saw a bit of the new show and also I saw the live action and I didn't like it even a bit. I think that the only one is kinda.... Good for saying in a way, is Draculaura, that still is good looking in the dools at least. But everything, even the outfits I think that are horrifying, specially, Clawdeen's ones.

Report Reply

Reply by ʝα∂ɛ α.κ.α "мιƨƨ мαяcн"

posted

they released g3 in 2022 when it should have been released in 2017/2018. all of the dolls' fashion from the biker shorts to the cropped bomber jackets to the ultra high waisted jean shorts just screams a time that has already passed. this sucks so much cause that's what monster high is largely known for; its cutting edge, unique fashion that made sense. instead of that we get mismatched patterns, clashing colorways, and overall lazy, boring styling with clothes so out of style it's not even funny. and yes, i get that these dolls were not made for a 19 year olds demographic, i understand that they're made for kids!! the one thing i hate the most in the monster high community is that so many act like its a sin to criticize g3. i will literally go on ig and see one harmless comment under a g3 post about simply not liking the clothes and people will flood their replies about "not ever being satisfied" and "not being able to get over the past". ugh, so annoying. but anyway, personally, g3 was a huge disappointment fashion-wise. but i guess that could be said for many doll lines these days: bratz, barbie, etc. the detail and thought is just not there anymore and its super sad to see.

Report Reply

Reply by Shalyl

posted

TikTokified.

A huge part of MonsterHigh is their fashion. The G3 dolls look like they were styled by some 2020 "alt" kids who don't know anything about actual alternative fashion and/or subcultures, like how Draculara looks like some wannabe hipster goth from tumblr. 

The worst change is Clawdeen (my fave T-T) I loved her for her passion for fashion. She was like a rolemodel for me as a kid, I looked up to her confidence and strength. Now shes some clumsy tom-boy straggot that has no style. 

Fashionista turned adorkable. 

Report Reply

Reply by Moon NightingGale

posted

Personally, I grew up with G1 and will always love that generation, it has a special place in my heart. 

While I do like the more inclusive representation in G3, though I wish that a lot of the stuff from G1 wasn't changed. Like Deuce and Cleo's relationship, or Ghoulia's speech for examples. 

The styles that they have aren't like G1 at all, the "Freaky fabulous", gothic, and monster like styles. I mean the clothes and styles are okay in G3, but they don't really represent what monster they are, if that makes sense. It's more of how the generations of teens/young adults would wear today in the real world.  

The personalities of some of the characters in G3 changed as well, like Clawdeen's sassy attitude, Draculaura's Romanian accent just isn't there anymore, Nefera's overall personality, etc.   

Talking doll wise, I do enjoy G3 with the body positivity and inclusiveness that they had added. But I do enjoy the way the G1 dolls were made too. 

So overall thoughts on G3, is that I do wish it had more similarities to G1, But I do like the LGBT+ and Neurodivergent representations that they added to the characters. 

Report Reply

Reply by 𝙽𝚎𝚟𝚛𝚊 ❦

posted

I love g3, I love how they cared about bringing representation unlike g1 which made characters offensive to the cultures they are part of, for example Isi. Most people who don't like G3 aren't really fans or they just don't like it because of this generation's style and keep saying "Monster High is about fashion and clothes" whereas Monster High is about being unique and >accepting differences< (things that g3 haters don't like), worse are the people who are being fatphobic towards the dolls g3 is increasingly getting better and with amazing clothes, of course she has flaws, but all generations do, but people prefer to pretend that the g1 didn't do anything bad and it doesn't have ridiculously ugly dolls lol

Report Reply

Reply by FAYE ^_^

posted

I feel like the representation is so forced and some character designs are…. Questionable!! I do like a lot of the new body types like Cleo’s and Draculauras however some I feel are just stupid e.g. CATTY NOIRS. I’m sorry I think she looks so bad. As someone who grew up with mh I never thought they looked too skinny and I had no issue with the body types but that could be different for people who grew up labelled as the “chubby kid” ifykwim. As for the forced rep they could’ve made new characters and the story line is completely changed. Making Frankie non binary was so random I would’ve loved to see a new character who was non binary!! The story line is so stupid too -_- clawdeen is the new girl? (Frankie was literally just put together she’s the daughter of FRANKENSTEIN she’s the definition of NEW GIRL!!!) also clawdeen is dating deuce and deuce doesn’t even wear sun glasses and lagoona isn’t blue and she’s mean and WHAT IS GOING ON!! It’s safe to say I’m a g3 anti but I won’t stop u from liking it 

Report Reply

Reply by liv

posted

so, I kind of like g3, I mean there is more diversity in the line between gender or sexual identys and body types, but it doesn't have the same spooky feel to it. Monster high was known for being different and unique but its like they took that to a whole new level that just doesn't sit with a lot of people. its cutesier and dulled and watered down while the original was fangtastic and sharp and had more edge. the sharpness everyone loved is gone and is replaced with cuteness. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ero

posted
updated

Hiiii g3 LOVRR here just wanna clear up some common misconceptions of g3 ;P

1: Clawdeen is NOT dating deuce!!!!! i dont count live live action as cannon because it doesnt affect the dolls in any way, but i do count the show as canon! where clawdeen is not dating and (just like g1) not boy crazy!

2: They didnt take away draculaura being Romanian, she is mixed half asian and half Romanian, her dad is from romaine and she speaks mandarin! 

3:"Why did they make lagoona pink?) As youve probably heard, shes pink in g3. But lagoona BLUE has nothing to do with her skin color, similar to Kodak black. Also her first name is lagoona which is fresh water and shes made that VERRYY known in 13 wishes.

4: they "took away" them being emo, This was nevr the case, maybe ghouls rule frankie and a few first waves but the bulk of g1 is bright colors and slip dresses. g3 has continued that but with less patterny slip dresses (theres like 3 so far and its been 2 years woohoo!!!)

Sry 4 spelling errors ;(

Report Reply