« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

miss old internet that i nerver known it

its truly funny the fact i miss a internet that i nerver known www 

i want go back in the early 2000s.. am so sick of i was born in 2008 so i never known this old internet 
i knowing internet since 2012/13 not + 

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by argentAegis

posted

There's actually a pretty good image that summarizes the differences, I'll see if I can find it later.

But really, the big difference was the lack of social media integration and that you were a different person on websites. If you saw someone with the same username, you would go "Oh hey are you star_fighter_xX85 on <insert forum here>?" Now it's a given. Never mind the fact that people now tie their online personae to their social media - I say as I post on social media. 

Report Reply

Reply by ✧✮ter✮✧

posted

It was truly a different time. I miss it so much. It felt so much more personal and special.

Report Reply

Reply by SafeInSanity

posted

Yeah, it was always exciting when you stumbled on somebody's personal website. Now it's all paid business sites that come up in the search engines.

Report Reply

Reply by S𝓾ndayR𝓪in

posted

As someone who lived through the golden age of the internet, i can easily say it's a drastically different place now to what it was. Around 2016 is when social media and cooperates fully took over and all originality and personal creativeness went poof. Times have changed a lot and even Youtube before it merged with google was a great way to connect with people since it was username based as well and you had all these customization features for your channels. The internet now just continues to go downhill with each passing year lol. 

Report Reply

Reply by DogStreet_

posted

Christ. I feel old, I was born in 1994, got my first PC in 2000 when I was 6. I used MySpace from 2006-2011 from the ages of 12 to 17. Now that I'm getting close to 30, I really miss how the internet used to be

Report Reply

Reply by coraxxx

posted

i miss when youtube was actually entertaining n not full of sad attempts from people in their mid 20s trying to become relevant..

Report Reply

Reply by lime360

posted