« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

Can we talk about the fact that no one watches TV anymore?

Since the bomb that Netflix released the day it began to be used with an app, we hardly use the TV anymore, and why lie to them, I also use Netflix as well as I use other platforms of the same type, but idk sometimes I feel that this goes on bad way

Report Topic

19 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by kali<//3

posted

Yo creo que es obvio que nadie le interese mirar televisión, la mayoría de las programaciones que hay o presentan son aburridas y repetitiva, eso produce desinterés a las grandes audiencias. Deberían sacar/reproducir nuevas películas o crear canales específicos donde pasen series de todo tipo para llamar la atención de la sociedad.

En cierto modo comparto tu opinión, ya que es preocupante que nuestra sociedad este siendo consumida por los aparatos electrónicos y no este socializando con otros individuos por estar al pendiente de apps o sitios weds 
 (Por favor no crean que lo digo como una critica, simplemente estoy compartiendo mi punto de vista <3)

Report Reply

Reply by frogteeth64

posted

I think I watch less tv but I don't really watch shows anywhere anymore. It's probably good to watch less tv but I think I've replaced the time I used to spend watching tv watching videos and looking at stuff on the internet. I don't think one is worse than the other. I guess it depends on the content of what you're watching because there is beneficial, informational, and educational content on both, but there's also things on both that I think can be harmful to people. 

Report Reply

Reply by Cyber_Noot

posted

I mostly stopped watching TV post-Lost and began to pirate everything or streamed on Netflix mostly because I hate commercials with a passion and will go out of my way to avoid them. That's why I adblock and stream.

Report Reply

Reply by Squid Died

posted

cuz im sick of being advertised to lmao. netflix was fine when it
started but so many rival streaming services now that have exclusivity
deals... who the hell has money for like 6 services per month lol

i'm with Cyber-Noot on this one

Report Reply

Reply by mny

posted

It just isn’t as rewarding anymore for some ppl

Report Reply

Reply by Merzcat

posted

I still watch television occasionally.
I have a digital antenna connected to a digital to analog converter box hooked up to my CRT tv.
Sometimes I'll watch modern TV too using PlutoTV or PlexTV.

Report Reply

Reply by Swiftpaw

posted

I never had cable so I never really watched TV. My family adopted Netflix early when I was a kid when it was still a DVD service and I used that because local networks rarely had anything I liked. 

I like the appeal of TV being a lot more mixed because I don't like binge watching as much, but as others said the ads are a huge drawback. Modern streaming services are an expensive hellscape though so I just pirate everything. 

Report Reply

Reply by Mitch

posted

Honestly, I stopped watching TV in like 2006. Having a million channels and nothing to watch is what finally did it for me. It seemed like a huge waste of money. Ever since then I've pretty much either downloaded or streamed things. Netflix and other streaming services did help me keep caught up on shows and all of that though. I'm basically still the same now as I was then about it. 

Report Reply

Reply by Supa Troopa

posted

I stopped watching TV in 2004 when I received internet. Simply because I have too many other interests and hobbies that I enjoy exploring and researching and sharing with like-minded people on the internet. Simple as that. Also the internet is a perfect way to independently inform yourself about what´s really going instead of relying to the mainstream media lies on tv. Netflix is completely irrelevant to me as I would never want to pay extra money for watching films and series. Absolutely don´t need Netflix. When I wanna watch a film, I watch on VHS or DVD or a video file on my computer. My TV now only serves as big screen when I wanna watch something in bigger size than my computer screen.

Report Reply

Reply by Justin

posted

I still listen to radio and audio drama for entertainment, but I'll occasionally turn on the TV if I want to watch a ballgame or need something to stare at for a while to fill time. There is a lot of programming over the air that I'll watch (if you can get past all the AARP and Colonial Penn commercials), and lots of free streaming channels.

There are occasionally points in my life where I won't turn the TV on for months or over a year because I just don't feel like it. It's like I have to make time to watch television, when I can just turn on the radio or something to listen to on my phone and still be productive.

Report Reply

Reply by dd

posted

because well, tv is kinda bad these days yknow? cartoon network is great but every thing else suck

like MTV for example. They used to put on music videos and it was so nice. i would kill for a channel like that. Now its just modernized with these cringe ass tv shows.  I watched videos from tv back then and it was so nice.

Report Reply

Reply by KiethBlackLion

posted

My son and I were out of town this weekend and crashed at my Father-In-Law's place and we watched movies and tv shows through regular tv programming as opposed to streaming and even though commercials on Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and Youtube can be annoying, it's not nearly as annoying as regular tv. Commercials were more rampant; As soon as you got invested in the program you'd get 3 minutes of commercials. Then by the time you got back into the program, more commercials. I'm glad my wife and I got rid of regular television.

Report Reply

Reply by j0nd4mus1c14n

posted

Well my grandparents still watches the TV. I mostly watch the tv for news, other than that though I use it for my Wii. A few of my relatives also uses the tv though for like Netflix or video game consoles.

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

I still watch cable television to this day on my awesome CRT TV. And besides, I've found some good stuff to watch on demand.

Report Reply

Reply by 𖤐𝕬𝖑𝖞𖤐

posted

I think people just prefer the ability to choose what to watch, instead of channel surfing into the middle of a random episode of a random show xD I remember when netflix was just an online blockbuster where they'd mail you dvds. You'd watch and mail it back. Another memory of a time where you'd get sent a movie with your pizza delivery. If I do "watch tv" its dvds I buy at a movie store (funny, my first job was a movie rental place, sadly now shutdown rip).

Report Reply

Reply by Angel

posted

I still use the TV a lot at home for background noise. And when me and my parents want to watch something we use Roku and the other free channels available there. It's not too bad.

Report Reply

Reply by stxr_gxrl

posted

not to mention: less people watching TV = less money for broadcasting companies = more ads

even free TV channels have apps where you can watch everything on catch-up nowadays. i enjoy netflix more than tv, because you have more choice in what you watch when, the obvious downside of this is that not everyone can get a subscription for stuff and often you have to get multiple streaming services to watch all the shows you want. then again, the more people using streaming services, the cheaper theyll become hopefuly? who knows anymore.

Report Reply

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted

Personally I'm considering getting a cheap DVR box that can autorecord things for me. After stations finally upgraded their tech post-digital signal switch to use newer antennas, there are a TON of movie channels (at least where I live) that just play different movies all the time. There's one network that comes in perfectly clear that has eight sub-channels, five of which play movies and one of which is just a constant rotation of nature documentaries.

Imo, over the air TV is deeply underutilized right now. There is an insane amount of decent free content constantly on

Report Reply

Reply by LBoyCalo

posted

to be completely honest, i really wished cable returned but not just for it being cable, for having an experience that no other generation will experience. for example running to the kitchen to pour more cereal into your bowl 15 seconds before the SpongeBob Christmas special comes on. it just wont be the same without the channels we love and know. the internet going mobile is what killed off live television occasionally if you ask me!

Report Reply