« Helping each other Forum

I feel so trapped....but I'm so close to being in a better spot

Hello! This is my first time posting to a forum so I'm a bit scared but I really needed to vent about this. I was laid off from my dream job this year and it has taken my months to find another. My first day is tomorrow actually but my first paycheck on the other hand is a distant future. I've been doing so many things to help myself while I wait...applying for food stamps, rental assistance, ect, but my food stamps just didnt go through this month and I've been trying to reach them about what happened, I am in the hole on my bank account, and I think my company has a policy against advanced pay....especially since I'm new. This job pays 22 dollars an hour but I dont know what I can do to survive till then. My family is trying to help but they are not financially well off either- are there any resources that you know that helped you when you were struggling? 

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by faekal_matter

posted
updated

Im sorry I cant give much advice financially but i can offer some emotional help.

Heres a list of basic coping methods incase you needed some to learn or just a reminder: 

- Wall Push (good for when youre angry or have a lot of nervous energy); Find a spot on the wall and brace against it with two hands and firmly planted feet. Push it as if it could actually move if you used enough weight. Pay attention to the pressure of your hands against the wall and the stretch in your legs. Feel it.

- Square breathing; inhale 5 secs, hold 5 secs, exhale 5, hold 5, repeat.

- A grounding exercise; Name 5 things you can see. 4 you can touch. 3 you can hear. 2 you can smell. 1 you can taste. Name them one by one.

- Body Scan (version 1); Start with your feet. Tense and relax the muscles. Continue slowly to your legs, torso, arms, neck/head. Feel your body reacting. Holding and letting go. 

- Body Scan (version 2); Version 1 in addition to visualizing a ball of energy. In your hands, above your head, in your heart.. wherever you want. but its yours. Picture it expand and compress or glow bright as you breathe. With each slow breath comfortable to you, send a ball of energy to a part of your body. Tense and relax. What do your feet feel like in your shoes or on the ground? What does your back feel against that chair youre in? 

- Belly breathing; This one is recommended by both therapists and pulminologists (lung doctors). Best laying down. Put your hands or something heavyish on your stomach. Breathe with your diaphram and watch/feel your stomach rise and fall. As you breathe in it should go up, and down as you breathe out.

Report Reply