« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

Does it legitimately scare anybody else sometimes?

Posted by ThatLionLoser

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

I know everybody here misses the early internet, but I'm not sure whether or not I'm alone in being genuinely scared of how the internet is now. This extends to the state of technology and how people view it, to a degree.

I do kinda feel like I'm being a melodramatic baby, because I wasn't around for many of the internet's younger years, and I wasn't around at all for any of the internet's really early days. I also know people have a tendency to romanticize the past, and I'm certainly no exception.

It's so hollow now, though. It's baffling to me that machines once dominated by shareware games and
very personal web pages are now used as massive advertising, spying,
number-growing platforms. I take care of myself by not going near modern social media, but that doesn't change the fact that the internet is the way it is now.

I remember being a little one who grew up playing edutainment games on my parents' old, chunky Windows 98 machine. I remember how devastated I was when it no longer turned on. I wish they had taken it to a repair shop instead of getting rid of it.
Now, instead of having games and tapes made with a lot of love and care, kids watch procedurally-generated "learning" videos on Youtube... :/

And, this isn't related to the internet, but remember how I said I feel this way about technology as a whole? Well...
I have two cameras from the 70s that use 110 film. As much as I adore them, it's so hard for me to get myself to use them, because hardly anyone develops 110 film anymore. They work great, though. Same with my Bamboo Fun tablet - it's old, but it's fully functional (but unlike the cameras, I use my tablet almost daily). They're all perfectly serviceable, but they're deemed useless now, and for what?

I have more to say, but for everyone's sake, I'm stopping here. :'D
I'm sorry for the negativity, and also for plopping this freaking mile-long academic research paper of a post in front of you. This stuff has been weighing on my mind lately though, so I'd love to know if anyone feels the same, or at least can understand how I'm feeling. <:)

Report Topic

11 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by NosyCat

posted

No, I completely agree. We've been throwing away so much good stuff, and for what? So a bunch of joyless execs can watch numbers go up? They've been taking away every form of self-expression that can't be monetized. Outrage is the only approved feeling anymore. Machines and apps from just a few years ago are made obsolete on purpose. This is a war. Against our minds.

So glad you're with me on this. It's not hopeless yet.

Report Reply

Reply by Bakartridge

posted

I get how you feel and it sucks so much seeing the internet become so soulless.

Not all hope is gone just yet, hence why this group exists l w l

Report Reply

Reply by enTTY

posted
updated

I wouldn't say it scares me, but I've also been simmering in the
internet and the technology that drives it for decades now. The internet
of today is the end result of a pretty obvious progression.
Those  individual websites were a pain to maintain. We all learned HTML and did
it, but managing those sites beyond a few pages got tedious. And once
CSS came along it got worse. So blog template formats and social media
came along to eliminate the raw layout management for most people.
The  other thing was that readers would have to go through the tedium of
going to each individual site. That worked okay if you only read 5-10,
but beyond that keeping up was nightmarish. RSS tried to solve that, but
it wasn't really polished, standards were lax, support was bad, and
even if you did it well.. you ended up with a flood of stuff. I was good
at RSS. It was sometimes HOURS of my day catching up on things.
So curated content came along. Now you go to Reddit or some trash
aggregation site, or the grease trap of 4chan, and people with more
disposeable time will push interesting things to the top for you to
find. It isn't a great system, but it makes finding new content, and
staying on top of popular content a lot easier. Not a great system, but
neither were the ones before it.
I won't deny that the soul-dead corporate places on the internet are the least interesting things I've seen, but there are places that still have life.You can still host your own site. You can still make your own games. They might not ever be popular, but there's nothing stopping new people from doing it except ignorance.
Though the death of flash certainly made the games thing more difficult.

Report Reply

Reply by Jake

posted

It's not about community at all anymore, it's all about money. If you wanna make a mark on the internet, you better know how to make money because that's all that matters. There's sites like Reddit or 4Chan back when it was a thing, and others that have/had communities, but they're so parsed and so broken off from most other folks that you've got these distant communities that have very little to do with others. 

Maybe that was how it was always going to be just based on human nature, but I don't know. I miss learning things online from unique and talented folks that just liked wandering online and finding stuff that was way out of their normal places. I don't know about anyone else, but my online experience is filled with well-worn sites that I regularly visit and it's not that I don't want to visit other sites, it's that I don't know what I don't know and i don't know what I might be missing because I wouldn't ever find them. 

I was around when the mainstream internet started. It was exciting because everything was new, and you didn't have any idea about what could and couldn't be found, said or done on this weird new landscape. Now, it seems, we're all more connected but we're farther away from one another than we've ever been. Weird eh? 

Report Reply

Reply by Robotic Gunner

posted

The internet is no longer a place to explore, talk to people, find new stuff, any of that. It's now a place to manipulate you into interacting and throwing as much money into corporations as much as they can squeeze out of you, through any means they deem necessary, your mental well-being be damned.

I got on the internet way to late to see all that the old internet had to offer. All I knew was Google, Youtube and Cool Math Games. Outside of that, it was boring social medias that boring adults used, like Twitter and Facebook (Though Facebook did have Zuma Blitz, so I tolerated that one lol)

While there were very few places to explore, and I did have fun looking through the various questionably "for kids" flash games, various pacman clones (Any y'all remember Pac-Xon?), that sort of thing, I always felt the internet to be a little closed, centralized, certainly not the wild west it was made out to be.

It's only really gotten worse over the years. The internet is now, to most people, a portal to social media, be it Twitter, Facebook and their various social medias, TikTok (Actual brainrot, but that's a rant for another day), Youtube, Reddit, among others I probably don't know about.

I see this in my own family. I know those close to me that are proud "TikTok addicts" who will just sit there for hours, scrolling through video after video, almost lost entirely in a trance. At least I know one of them realized that maybe that wasn't a good thing and snapped out of it.

Then there's the issue of the disgusting invasion of privacy that every single service requires you to accept to even use the service, and no one bats an eye. I feel like the only one who actually sees this as a huge issue.

I try to bring it up and it's always something boiling down to either "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" or "Every other service does it anyway, might as well just accept it" both of which are incredibly fucking stupid beliefs and it baffles me that people legitimately think that way.

The only reason these companies keep doing this is because we keep letting them get away with it, then throwing up a fit when it's too late to stop them. Sometimes I wonder if I should even try.

This shit extends to the very machines we use. Our phones, laptops and even desktop computers have very quickly had functionality stripped from them in the past couple decades in favour of turning them into practically surveillance devices. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but it creeps the fuck outta me, and no one else seems in any way, shape or form concerned. Am I just going crazy? It feels like it sometimes.

Phones removing more and more ports, laptops going the same route, both of which becoming increasingly difficult, if not outright impossible to repair, be it they glue everything down, or add hardware ID keys to various components to make the machine reject the replacement part, to Windows, the most widely used OS through brute force alone, forcing you to buy a whole new machine, whether or not your current machine is perfectly fine, to forcing you to log in with a Microsoft account, rather than just using a local account.

I swear to god, this happens every time a new Windows release happens, especially between Windows 8, 10 and 11. Microsoft announces a new OS release, people hate how it looks, realize it's even more buggy and invasive than ever before, say they're gonna move to Linux or Mac or something, and then nothing happens. The new version releases, there's a little outcry, then people go silent, as if nothing happened. Every. Time.

It's not like some people could even switch to something else if they wanted to. Microsoft made damn sure that Windows would be the jack of all trades system, and they are hellbent on keeping it that way. And so do a lot of other companies. Sure, MacOS gets a fair bit of support, but Linux is almost always told to go fuck itself, and it shows. Even I struggle to live with Linux, being forced to dualboot Windows for some games and VR as a whole.

Not to mention that, despite what many people will swear by, Linux is NOT always easy to install. Even more user friendly distros can struggle to even boot the installer on some setups. God help you if you have an older Alienware laptop.

I'm sick of it. I want change, I want things to get better, yet it almost feels like it's a vain endeavor.

God, I hope it's not too late.

Report Reply

Reply by ThatLionLoser

posted
updated

enTTY: I'm glad you shared your perspective! I've been thinking about it since I read it.

I guess I'd take the old system, being tedious but efficient, over what we have now. The current system prioritizes convenience, but has had an overall negative impact on the internet and its users, I think. Though people can still host their own sites and such, it feels like that individuality is less encouraged these days. :(

I don't think curated content has solved the issue of people wasting time on the internet, either - instead of spending hours catching up on individual sites, now people spend hours scrolling through their feeds on Reddit and Twitter. >_<
...Though I think the corporate-ification of social media is more of a problem, not necessarily social media itself. I'd still prefer personal websites any day, though. :P

I feel like bookmarking people's sites and checking is easier to time-manage, but that might just be me personally. Social media is sooo easy to get lost in. :/ You just keep scrolling and clicking and scrolling... Whereas with individual sites, you could pop on, see if there's anything new under the "updates" section, and move on to the next site if there isn't.

I hope none of what I said comes off as argumentative! I'm just bouncing my own perspective off of you ^_^ That last thing Jake said really hits the nail on the head, frankly. >_<

--

EDIT: Oh shoot, Gunner, you replied while I was typing mine. XD That's why I don't bring up anything you said (and possibly repeat some of the things you said). I'll read it soon!

Report Reply

Reply by davidrei

posted

Do you mean how the 90s-early 2000s Internet promised to be (1) a democratizing force in society (2) an archive of all the world's libraries and knowledge archived for free use (3) an unlimited number of creative personal websites

And what we ended up getting was (1) mass surveillance and collection of personally-identifiable profiles on us (2) a medium for personally-targeted political propaganda and ads forced on us (3) rewarding of the most inflamatory and toxic content for likes and viral shares (4) paywalled knowledge and freely available disinformation (5) a driving force for mass hyperconsumerism

I used to be a rabid advocate of absolute free speech online. What's killed that is that once social media sites have a monopoly of over a billion users or such viral reach it can easily be manipulated (see inauthentic coordinated behavior) to the point that stock markets can be manipulated, mobs can be set loose, elections can be swayed and even governments can be toppled in the space of a 24 hour reach of a viral video. I mean I'm pretty sure I heard of viral videos leading to mobs killing someone based on disinformation.

Like and Share buttons along with infinite scrolling newsfeeds have been one of the biggest evils. IMO. Force everyone to post original content and use AI to kill viral screenshots and copy/paste.

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

I completely feel you, but with Windows XP and (especially) Windows 7 instead of Windows 98. I grew up using both of those operating systems when I was in elementary school and they felt more fun and more full of life than today's Windows operating systems. I would always play Adobe Flash games and sometimes watch videos YouTube on those computers at school and at home.

I will never forget how sad and disappointed I was when the family computer was upgraded from beautiful Windows 7 to boring Windows 10 in July 2015. Windows 10 feels so hollow and so empty even to this day in December 2022 compared to those awesome XP and 7 operating systems I grew up with. Not only were the Luna and Aero designs both a lot better than the stupid minimalist design of Windows 10, but they also provided a way more genuine feeling of the digital wild west compared to 10.

Fuck minimalism, fuck modern social media sites turning us into human robots/zombies, and fuck digital surveillance.

Report Reply

Reply by cows

posted

I don't think it's hopeless, I believe VR is gonna be the next frontier like how the early internet used to be once it's had enough time. Might not seem like much now, but there will certainly be major innovative leaps in due time. 

Report Reply

Reply by stxr_gxrl

posted

YES. i hate how everyone is upgrading their technology every 4 seconds now. theres plenty of functional old tech out there that people just cant use anymore because nobody can service them or sells parts for them anymore etc. 

also FUCK BIG COORPORATIONS. FUCK APPLE. i had a perfectly functioning iphone 7, but after a while apple just dosent let you get any more software updates on older phones, so eventually the phone just stopped working. and so now i have to go buy a new phone. people are literally trading in their perfectly functional iphone 13's just so they can get 14s these days, i swear. and the worst part? there is virtually no difference between any phone model these days except for the camera maybe.

this whole obsession with getting new tech is absolutely consumerist propaganda that is bad for our pockets, and bad for the environment.

TL;DR

• plenty of old tech that works, but no one services them
  • big companies using tactics to make people buy more
  • bad for environment and waste of money

Report Reply

Reply by stxr_gxrl

posted
updated

also ti agree with you on the lack of personal pages too. i only recently realised how everything is now run by a big company or news site or whatever. you have to go out of your way to try find personal sites, search engines dont prioritize them because they dont pay them too. im just gratefull for forums like this that have introduced me to ways of finding personal sites, and other relics of the old internet.

Report Reply