« Books and Stories Forum

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PIECE OF CLASSIC LITERATURE GO

mine is dorian gray! (and also frankenstein)

Report Topic

10 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by CASPIAN

posted
updated

DEMIAN BY HERMANN HESSE RIGHT NOW but that may change once I get more into the Divine Comedy and finally pick up Frankenstein

I need to check out Dorian Gray sometime... I love classics

UPDATE: I bought Dorian Gray and it's good so far

Report Reply

Reply by Red Monaca

posted

I'm torn between Dostoevsky's Demons and Hesse's Siddhartha. Strong contenders are the Decameron and Edgar Allan Poe's entire oeuvre.

Report Reply

Reply by Celea Akuri

posted

Honestly probably Romeo and Juliet, only because my english teacher acted out the scenes as we read them. 

Report Reply

Reply by nightzombie

posted

Crime and Punishment is a vibe. Frankenstein too. Would Catcher in the Rye be considered classic?? I love that one too.

Report Reply

Reply by weirdhouseplant

posted

Frankenstein or Much Ado About Nothing

Report Reply

Reply by clare

posted

john steinbeck east of eden. goes hard

Report Reply

Reply by hagactorian

posted

NO LONGER HUMAN BY DAZAI OSAMU 

VERY DEHUMANIZING, VERY GOOD

Report Reply

Reply by lidia

posted

Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment is always enjoyable every time I read it. Also, I'm not sure why, by Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck really impacted me and after 4 years I still haven't gotten tired of it. 

Report Reply

Reply by ahsante

posted

I think mine would be this one Paradise Lost

Report Reply

Reply by Amadeus

posted

crime and punishment was my introduction into classical literature, after years of not being that much of a bookworm, and i loved it.
dostoevsky describes evil characters in a way where they still feel like humans, and where you can still recognize some of the characters negative traits and patterns of thought in yourself. and its scary!
because he knows that evil is something everyone is born with, and everyone is capable of acting upon.. you are also born with the free will to choose whether or not you are going to act upon those urges.

he has a very grounded sense of ethics. i like that a lot.

Report Reply