« Back to the Daoists Forum

Stories

The Two Goat-herders

Once upon a time in ancient China there were two men, Zang and Gu. Both were goat-herders. Zang liked to spend his time gambling with his friends. He often gambled while he was tending the goats. Gu was very serious about acquiring learning. He often read and studied while he tended his goats.

One day, Zang became very involved in his gambling, and one of his goats strayed and was lost.

That same day, Gu became very absorbed in a book he was studying in order to cultivate and improve himself. One of his goats strayed and was lost also.

----

A retelling of a story from Zhuangzi, found at: https://www.caroldeppe.com/Taoist%20Stories.html

Report Topic

5 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Relish Ubiquitous

posted
updated

A new student was greeted by Master Li and shown to his hut where he was to meditate and practice. After a while, he noticed some students nearby were talking and laughing and not behaving as they should. He went to see the master and told him about the distractions and asked for the best place where he could deeply cultivate his practice. The master listened and then drew a map of a hut he was supposed to go to. The student began following the map, through the grounds of the temple and then through the gardens. At last, he came to the hut where he was to go. He looked up and realized; it was the same hut he had complained about.

-Roshi Hogan

Report Reply

posted

Once after meditation, Master Li was scheduled to give a talk. He stood up and smiled at the students and then walked out of the building without saying a word. A few days later, a student walked up to Master Li and said, “Master, that was so powerful last week. We were all touched by that silent message you gave us.” Master Li frowned and said, “Actually, I just had laryngitis and could not speak. I do not know what silent message you are talking about.”

-Roshi Hogan

Report Reply

posted
updated

Maybe

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically.

"Maybe," the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed.

"Maybe," replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune.

"Maybe," answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.

"Maybe," said the farmer.

Report Reply

posted

The Empty Boat

A fisherman is on the water at dusk with poor visibility.  He sees a boat coming right towards him and starts getting frantic and yelling for the fisherman steering the boat to change course.  When the other boat rams into his, he unleashes a hysterical invective at the other fisherman’s moral and intellectual competence, only to discover the boat is empty and was simply adrift.

Report Reply

posted

Zhuangzi and Huizi were strolling along the dam of the Hao Waterfall when Zhuangzi said, “See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That’s what fish really enjoy!”

Huizi said, “You’re not a fish — how do you know what fish enjoy?”

Zhuangzi said, “You’re not me, so how do you know I don’t know what fish enjoy?”

Huizi said, “I’m not you, so I certainly don’t know what you know. On the other hand, you’re certainly not a fish — so that still proves you don’t know what fish enjoy!”

Zhuangzi said, “Let’s go back to your original question, please. You asked me how I know what fish enjoy — so you already knew I knew it when you asked the question. I know it by standing here beside the Hao.

Report Reply