« Books and Stories Forum

Post your short stories here.

I'll start with my own:

Ever since I was a small boy, I had always dreamed of landing on the moon one day just like Armstrong did all those years ago. I spent all my life doing anything I can to make that dream come true. And after years and years of hard work, I sat there in my capsule, ready to be the first man to colonise the Moon. On that fateful day, I was very eager to be part of another great leap forward for humanity and so was ground control. The countdown starts: 4.. 3.. 2 ..1.. “Houston, we have lift off,” I reported to ground control. Dawn turned to dusk, days turned to weeks, and weeks turned to months. During the venture I tried to adjust my ship to the right direction, but after all that coordination, communication, and verification to ensure success I missed my target. “Uhh.. This is Komarov to ground control, we have a problem,” I reported nervously. “What is your problem,” replied ground control. I looked at my partner, then to the capsule window. After some brief silence I replied, “We seem to have missed our target.” Immediately ground control responded “this is ground control speaking, we need you to abort your mission as soon as possible.” Ground control’s response was delayed, but when it was received we had prematurely used all the fuel in the wrong direction. And after who knows how long, here I am in my capsule all alone drifting through the universe, wherever I am or wherever I’ll go is unknown from my knowledge. I’ve just about passed Sedna. It's like a celestial groundhogs day. it feels as if I have been gone for days, years, or maybe even centuries. Does ground control remember me? Do I remember myself? What is my name? Have I become the stranger my parents warned me about? If I come back home will anyone recognize me? Could I be more isolated back home than where I am now? Where even am I, The sun has been seemingly blocked from something of a mysterious shape in my view. Where am I? Who am I? do I even exist anymore? Maybe I’ve died a long time ago but was completely unaware. Could this be the afterlife? So many stars, planets, galaxies, nebulas, and many unknown things are out there, yet it seems surreal. maybe a god could be on one of those planets or maybe the stars have been the true gods all along. It might as well be the afterlife for I have already drained my supplies. this appears to be the end of the line or rather the end of the galaxy for me. Am I approaching the edge of the universe? I’ve been floating for so long that I might’ve stumbled into a new solar system. if only I could report back to ground control. I can see my life before my eyes, everything I’ve loved and I despised, all shown before my eyes. for the ones I can’t repay, I would say goodbye if I had just one more day, and to those who I’ve betrayed I’m sorry for the pain but I’m a million miles away. There’s a door at the end of the universe. It's very tempting to find out what lies on the other end but my lungs may sink flat. Will people remember when I die will I be a name to be feared in history or just another casualty in the game of life? I really don’t have a choice do I? Well, whoever finds this, or if anyone finds this, I hope I atleast made a worthy scientific contribution. For I will never know if my sacrifice was in vain or not. 

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Jane Doe

posted

This was a great read! Thank you for sharing!!

Report Reply

Reply by Robot

posted

"If it's not a robot and the person who makes the decision to make the robot has been wrong, then I think it should not be called the robot." – Michael

The problem is that the "wrong person" in a given situation has a much greater chance of making a decision than the person who makes that decision. This is not a bad idea. In fact, it makes sense. If the "wrong person" has been right for the most part in that case (i.e., the person that has a great interest and a strong desire for a particular job), then I think that the decision to hire that person should be a robot. If the person is wrong about hiring that robot, then I'm sure that it is the wrong decision, not the wrong person.

In other words: If you are hiring an AI, you need to have a robot that can understand the human brain and the way the mind operates, and it's important to have that robot in your business. In my view it's the person who is right about that.

So what about the robot's role in a business?

The robot is the "good" guy in the room and has an amazing ability to help you. If he is wrong about hiring that person to do the job that you asked him for, you should not have the robots in the room.

So what do you do with the robots in the room, and what does that have to do with you being wrong about hiring a person to do it? Well, you hire someone else. If the person is wrong about hiring a person that has been wrong about the job (i.e., the robot that has made that decision to do that job) and you don't get to hire the person that was wrong in the previous decision (the person who is wrong about hiring that robot), then you should not be hiring the person that is right.

If you have a robot in a situation where it's the person that makes the choice, then it has an incredible ability to help you in a very real sense of the word.

So how do you deal with that? Well, you can do what's right in a situation and make the right choice for that person, and you don't have a robot to do that. If that person is right about

Report Reply

Reply by MommyLongLegs

posted

-I thought of this concept a while back and I am still pretty proud of it haha-

"Hey! I uh, I'm just calling to check where you are. I already called your work but they said you didn't show up yesterday... You never miss a day of work... But, never mind! *sigh* I don't want another runaway situation. I'm not angry but we've got that date tomorrow so don't be late. I love you, bye!"

*3 DAYS LATER*

*Phone line trilling, then an automated message plays*

The person you are trying to reach is unavailable at this time, please leave a message after the tone.

"Hey babe. You missed our date, and you're not answering any of my texts. *sigh* have I done something wrong?! Why are you ignoring me?! If you don't answer or... or text me back at least-! I'm going to call the police. Your roommate said he hasn't seen you either, so what? You're spending time with a friend? Or your mum? Just please... text me back. *another sigh*. Love you..." 

*1 WEEK LATER*

The person you are trying to reach is unavailable at this time, please leave a message after the tone.

"I- uh, I don't- *deep breath* Hey love... I'm calling because nobody has seen you since like a week and a half ago! I'm worried. The police are doing everything they can to find you and they told me that- that you might be gone... But I know you're not! Of course you're not! *voices cracks* Please don't be. I know you're getting these calls, it says so. So why won't you answer me?! Please! I just want you back, and I want to know that you're safe. I love you very much. Please come home. "

*2 WEEKS LATER*

"*deep, shaky breathing* Hey babe. I- uhm. I'm getting really worried. You're scaring me. Please, just come home, I want you here and I want to know that you're okay, and that you're safe. What happens when you don't come home?! *crying* I don't want to know what happens when you don't! Please don't make me know what happens. I just... I care about you so... so much. If anything were to harm you, or worse, I couldn't live with myself. I want you home! *bawling her eyes out* I love you so, so much. More than anything. G-good bye."

*1 MONTH LATER*

"*complete deadpan* Hey babe. The police said that uh, there's no point trying anymore and that you're most definitely dead. Guess I look like a real idiot right now, giving all my best efforts to look for you when you're dead. But... You're not are you? You can hear every single one of my messages. Why are you doing this to me? Ugh, I can't blame you. I'm really the one who should feel guilty, I should've done more. Well, that's my fault isn't it. Please come home and end all this. Nothing is the same anymore. And, I have something to tell you; I'm pregnant and I haven't been fucking anyone else since everyone is convinced I'm now a widow. And, my sister's moved in since everyone thinks I've gone crazy and deserve to be in a nuthouse, maybe I do. Anyway. Hope you're... well. I love you. Bye."

*6 MONTHS LATER*

"Hey babe. I'm sending you this from my sister's attic, *small chuckle* she thinks I'm a danger to others but I'm sane enough to stay out of the loony bin. So she stuffed me up in her attic. I wanted to call you to say goodbye. You won't be hearing anymore messages from me, and I don't think you're gonna see the baby any time soon. It's a girl by the way, I was thinking of naming her Nina, but I don't know if she's gonna ever hear it. So uh, thanks for everything you've done. I love you. Goodbye...forever."

*News report, 1 day after that phone call*

"Now, we return to local news stories. 24 year old Becca Gilbert has been found dead in her sister's home where she seems to have slit her own wrists. Becca's fiance, Alfie Bartley was reported missing 6 months previously and this seems to have been the cause of the presumed suicide. Although, the saddest part of this case is that Becca was pregnant with her baby daughter. Our thought and prayers go out to the family. And now, back to-"

Report Reply