« Helping each other Forum

Animal bone collecting and finding

Does anyone collect animal bones and have tips for me? I want to start but don't really know what I'm doing at all.

Report Topic

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ♱Sunshine♱

posted

Now, I don't collect them myself yet but am planning to do so as well. 

As far as I heard there are a few options on how to get your hands on bones.
I have read that you could try asking at local museums if they have old specimens they are willing to sell or give away. 
Other than that:
- flea markets
- Vintage Stores
- Online Stores/Etsy
- Hunting clubs (Not sure if these exist in the same way as they do here in Europe. I can only speak from the options available to me here, sorry!)

If you are willing to prep them yourself I advise going to any local forrest and searching for owl pellets. Oftentimes there are Mouse bones or the like in there.
Or you can go to the next butcher near you and ask if they have bones, skulls etc.
However that process is quite difficult and time consuming.

I hope this helps :)

Report Reply

Reply by Dumpsterfire

posted

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond :))) I do know a butcher shop that some of my friends work at, I will definitely try that out next hunting season. I didn't even think of antique/thrift shops either!! 

Report Reply

Reply by ♱Sunshine♱

posted

No problem at all! I'm glad I could help.

If your friends work at that butcher shop, it might be even easier since there is a direct connection already :) 

Have fun looking around and good luck! 
If I find any good shops/sources during my own hunt for bones I will try and remember to come back here to give an update ^v^

(when it comes to jewelry I found "Purgatory Playthings" on Etsy. Their creations are cool :D)

Report Reply

Reply by Hiilu

posted

Go to places where you know there are animals that hunt, like coyotes, or windy roads where it's common to see animals hit on the side of the road. I've found deer bones in the woods where there's lots of deer, even though there's lots of people to scare away predators!! Bones will often end up down hills or near places where animals go to drink, so looking near creeks and ravines is a good place to find possible old bones!

If ur collecting bones always wear rubber gloves and if possible only carry them in a designated bone bag!! I brought a dead raccoon home in a trash bag in a backpack and that backpack smelled like dead racoon even tho I washed it so I had to throw it out :/

Report Reply

Reply by Dumpsterfire

posted

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I went in some local woods where I’ve seen deer and I found a jaw bone!!! Your advice really helped me thank you!!

Report Reply

Reply by Hiilu

posted

Omg yay!!! Congrats on starting ur collection!! :D

Report Reply