« Helping each other Forum

transmasc 'passing' tips

Posted by Boogie

posted
updated

Forum: Helping each other

passing as a trans guy feels like it gets harder everyday.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with being comfortable with not fitting into the binary expectations, but while I also love things that make me look less masculine or wtv I still like to 'pass' as much as possible so I get misgendered less.

If you have anything to add related to clothing tips, include what body type your working with.
Things that could help a thinner body type would not apply to say a larger one and vice versa.

Advice on body acceptance is just as helpful as other advice.

Shaggy Rogers transparent PNG - StickPNG

Report Topic

20 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Ethan Execute

posted

i personally find layering is really helpful, i cant always bind due to my health but even on days that i cant i wear a sports bra, tanktop, longsleeve shirt, tshirt and maybe a hoodie. so many layers can help. 
my body type is like hour glass w a little chub and im 5'2 so i find its harder to pass especially in warmer months but when it gets too hot my shirt size is usually 2 or 3 times larger than what actually fits 

Report Reply

Reply by Red

posted

Oversized clothing was definitely my bestfriend before I got my binder, I don't recommend slouching though. As much as it does help hide ur chest, and as often as I still told myself not to do it and still did it lol, it rlly hurts your back and posture and soon you'll have to start poppin ur neck. I do recommend for facial features to contour to define ur jawline and mess around with ur eyebrows. I pass just with the contouring so hopefully that helps. if you don't have makeup, as silly as it sounds, try to look angry? For a few of my friends, when they started out, they had a resting b face and almost no one they were bio fem. Short hair can help depending on what style. And if you what to keep long hair, which is what I do, try and keep it out of ur face. ppl will automatically assume ur just some edgy prepubescent girl or some quiet kid about to rock up the schools shit if they don't see masculine features on ur face or sum shit which sucks. This doesn't work for everyone but hopefully it can help u in sum cases

Report Reply

Reply by JupiterCafe

posted

Just For Men: Mustache and Beard on your eyebrows and your face where your mustache and beard will eventually be. Gradually build color as your hair grows in more. 

Report Reply

Reply by xero!

posted

I recommend wearing tight sports bras and/or tanktops/undershirts. They are very tight, and it hides a lot. Sometimes I wear baggy clothing, but it’s not the best choice, and I sometimes will get bullied for it. If you have a binder though, I’d just stick to that. Another thing that might help is getting a masc haircut. When I was a young transmasc(like 10) all I wanted was to get my hair cut but my parents wouldn’t let me. If they won’t, tuck your hair into a beanie or a hat(beanies work best) and maybe pull some hair out in the front for bangs. Lastly, I know a lot of people  think you have to just appear masc, but you should let ppl know that you are a male and valid. If they mistender you, just simply tell them!! If it gets to the point where they keep ignoring it, just don’t talk to them or talk to them about it

Report Reply

Reply by Spade / Damien

posted

Before I got a binder, I would wear two sports bras and they did a
decent job at flattening my chest. I also found that having short hair
(the shorter the better) did an amazing job at people assuming I was
male despite being short and small. Wearing clothes such as button-ups,
collared shirts, etc. are also helpful.

Report Reply

Reply by Helios (he)

posted

First and foremost, we need to dismantle passing, because passing is a part of the transphobic overtones ruining all of our lives.

Second of all, don't wear tight sports bras or anything like that. You'll fuck up your circulation and get all sick and shit.

If it means that much to you, get a binder or transtape.

What were dismantling the patriarchy let's also dismantle the "passing patriarchy."

Report Reply

Reply by ribs

posted
updated

Try to find a shirt that gets tighter towards the hips. It can help give the illusion that the hips are smaller and the shoulders are bigger. This works the best for people who already have wider shoulders and are more sporty, for chubbier people this probably won't work very well.

DON'T wear sports bras that aren't your size, especially if you have a wider ribcage (like me). It's very unhealthy and it's going to make you feel sick. Also, you can find binders in second-hand shops but it's very very rare, it's still worth looking tho. 
If you want to work out, start training your forearms, shoulders, and back the most (this doesn't mean that you can just neglect the rest of your body)
DO NOT force your voice to sound deeper, it'll sound weird. There are a few tutorials on how to fake your voice, so try learning from those.
There's also no shame in liking more feminine things and dressing up in different styles. Do what makes you feel good, no one can tell you what makes you truly masculine or feminine, not even the negative thoughts that constantly tell you that you're not manly enough or that you don't pass. Feel free to experiment with your gender and style, don't force yourself to dress a certain way just because society wants men to dress the way they do

Report Reply

Reply by jordan >_<

posted

something my older brother told me, and i use daily is wearing a tight undershirt, oversized overshirt and a loose zipup jacket :3 

Report Reply

Reply by 311Fan12345

posted

working with a chubbier build here but not too big

i know that layering your clothes works loads, i have a binder but before i had that i usually just wore a big jacket or hoodie.

i slouched a lot too but i dont recommend doing that it hurtz your back A LOT and im still paying the consequences of that... 

i know wearing a hat like a beanie helps, dont know why but i get misgendered less 

you can make it look like you have a bit of a mustache with a tiny bit of mascara underneath your nose 

for me personally, longer hair makes me look more masculine 

hope these help!!!!

Report Reply

Reply by lucja

posted

as someone who passes even with long hair, i think it might be all about the face.

i used to have shoulder length hair and people would refer to me as "the boy with the long hair"

so i recommend maybe contouring the face? u can also use mascara to make ur eyebrows thicker or darken your facial hair, hope this helps

Report Reply

Reply by scenemo.mess666

posted

im not ftm or anything like that but from what i heard/seen 

tank tops just cut the sleeves of shirts make you seem wider more muscular

work out arms

eye shadow, dye your hair above your lip

find a hair cut that makes your face look square.

cis people are boring but if your real nervous abt passing dont get a haircut you see other trans people have get one a boring cis guy has if your super desperate (it worked for my friend but dont sacrifice yourself to pass

conture jaw

dye your eyebrows dark colors

look unkempt

voice train videos on youtube

also side not to the person against this although i also wish we could live in a world where passing didnt matter for some it is life or death wether that be suci.ude or other people.

Report Reply

Reply by Archie

posted

When it comes to concealing your chest without a binder (since binding can be pretty unhealthy), try wearing black shirts (bonus points if they have some kind of contrasting pattern/design.) Those two elements hide & complicate shadows so it's harder to tell that there's any chest there. I've also heard that wearing clothes from the men's section can help, because "men's" clothing tends to have a ton of minor things (like the cut, etc) that stack up to help you pass better. (though mens sections are usually really boring in almost every store)

Saying all this as someone who's just slightly underweight, so working with a pretty thin build (though I think these tips can be applied rather broadly)

Report Reply

Reply by Larisabrownb

posted

Make sure that you don't
wear a binder for more than 8 hours daily. · Wear a properly sized binder.
Wearing a binder that is too tight restricts your breathing ...Observe,
observe, observe. Go to the mall or a park, sit on a bench, and watch the male
world go by. Take notes. Later at home, practice in front of a 
 love language test   mirror.Observe,
observe, observe. Go to the mall or a park, sit on a bench, and watch the male
world go by. Take notes. Later at home, practice in front of a mirror.Avoid V
Necks. - Avoid tight clothes. Wear slightly loose pants and generally wear them
on your hips. - Men's button ups can be tricky. Some ...
Women tend to make themselves look smaller,
such as by crossing their legs, slouching, or keeping their arms tucked in. Do
the opposite of these things to appear more masculine

Report Reply

Reply by ✮ dyowyo ✮

posted

doing the sports bra thing is a pretty healthy way to bind and it works rlly well!! desaturated color usually seem to help me pass more, same with shoes that make you seem a bit taller. cologne and that kinda thing helps a lot too. keeping your hair short or at least making it seem short helps a LOT. a lil thing i learned was that no matter how high your voice is, deepening it just a little bit and giving yourself a southern accent makes you like 10x more masc. body language is a pretty big part of it too!! having more of and confident mannerisms rlly make a difference! 

Report Reply

Reply by ₳†⅃ ⍲⟆ ∀₵ꙇ₫

posted

ive got a blog post on thiz if any1 still needz it !!

Report Reply

Reply by ₳†⅃ ⍲⟆ ∀₵ꙇ₫

posted

ive got a blog post on thiz if any1 still needz it !!

Report Reply

Reply by porflado

posted

i found this, idk if it helps 

Report Reply

Reply by mrcollision

posted

I'm a pretty skinny guy, so buying baggy pants/loose fitting shirts helps a lot in helping me pass. I also realized at some point that leaving my hair a little more messy than usual also helps, since guys(at least in my area) have a reputation for not being as neatly dressed as the girls.

Aside from that, over time I sort of changed some of my usual mannerisms to "pass". Something I started doing is dabbing ppl up(most guys in my area do that, girls not sm), and using words/phrases that other guys I see use(I hung out with boys as a kid so this was easier said than done after a while). Getting into certain things that boys are traditionally expected to be into like video games, sports, and some kinds of shows could help too! These things aren't exclusive to boys of course, people of other genders definitely enjoy these things just as much. However, if you're trying to fit in with "the boys™" it definitely helps!

I also from time to time train my voice to be a little more masculine sounding, either just listening to myself talk in a quiet room, or following a tutorial/app. Playing social games like VrChat/Rec Room help a lot in this regard(there's even a Trans Academy in Vrchat, def check it out).

And most importantly, having a good support group! You're never required to "pass" to be who you are! In my experience, having people around who support you is better than any kind of change I could make for myself.

Report Reply

Reply by Samuel

posted

I pass on some tips that can make a huge change, the makeup pencils on the eyebrow. This way it looks fuller, then mark the jaw, cheekbones and the outline of the nose with makeup. They can make you look masculine, some short haircut, if not you can wear a cap that covers most of the hair. Wide shorts too, bermuda style !!

Report Reply

Reply by RatGoblin

posted

I'm gonna go the route of body acceptance tips since I'm not a fan of the concept of passing.

Whether or not you're on HRT or ever will be, it's super helpful to make your body feel more like yours in whatever small ways you can, whether it's decorating it with meaningful tattoos or just getting that haircut you always wanted. When something about your body inevitably makes you feel bad, you can always shift focus to what you've changed. I find the novelty of fun hair dyes to be really good for this, because looking in the mirror, your eye gets drawn to what's new and different, like "oh cool my hair's green now, that's right, I did that!"

It also helped me a lot to expose myself to a diverse range of portrayals of trans bodies in art. It's nice to see the beauty in our community through other people's eyes, and eventually you'll hit a point where you go "Oh that is gorgeous-- wait, that looks like me! I'm gorgeous?" Plus looking at cool trans art is a slippery slope into making cool trans art, and there is always need for more cool trans art in the world!

I find that the more I infuse my style and presentation with my personality and whimsy, and the more I see all of the awesome different ways there are to be trans, the less I care about passing.

Report Reply