« Back to the Fanfiction Writing Forum

Where do you guys prefer reading/writing fanfiction??

Personally, I like Archive of Our Own. While the formatting of posting your own stories takes a second to get used to, I really enjoy the tagging system as a reader and writer. I also love the filtering system, makes finding quality fics so much easier!!

Report Topic

20 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Afro08

posted

I honestly enjoy both, as a reader and writer of fanfiction i can step into so many roles as a person in each and every story.

Report Reply

Reply by rin

posted

i use wattpad most of the time bc i have no idea how to use ao3. i'm trying to figure it out but it's... so difficult. most of the fics im interested in are like 2-3K words so i finish them in ten minutes. at least w wattpad it takes me at least an hour LOL. but w ao3 i don't have to worry about graphic design so that makes me feel better.

Report Reply

Reply by Masked Archers

posted

honestly we just write on doc and later post on ao3, nothing fancy

Report Reply

Reply by Myst-Majestic

posted

Honestly, it depends. Older fandoms like twilight, I’d write / post and read fanfic on FF.Net. However Harry Potter Fics, AO3.

Report Reply

Reply by DUMBOVOI

posted

i've used wattpad the most just because at one point, it was really easy to access, both for reading and writing. now, ofc, there's a lot more pay to read, but that gives me a reason to try and diversify. i do like the interface of wattpad the most, although i think i could get used to the other platforms as well.

Report Reply

Reply by Ariel

posted

I honestly prefer to read on Ao3 and write on Wattpad 

(Btw if you are having difficulties with navigating Ao3 start by looking on Tiktok etc. for recommendations of your interest  Normally people will provide links or the authors name from there it's pretty direct Good luck!!)

Report Reply

Reply by seik!ra

posted

I honestly prefer AO3 because the people there are generally better and actually review your writing. I've grown to prefer reviews more because it allows me to see where I could do better. The original works and fanfiction there are just better as a whole, too.

Report Reply

Reply by everyb0dy_d1es_1n_the_cathedral

posted

ao3 has the best content imo. wattpad is a lot of random 50+ chapter stories written by kids and preteens, while ao3 is more mature and has more worth in the content lol

Report Reply

Reply by BAD GIRL ONLINE!

posted

I use both ao3 and wattpad and to be honest I prefer ao3 from the two. wattpad is cool and all, especially since the fandom i write for is more present there and that my drafts won't expire, but nothing can scratch that itch like ao3.

Report Reply

Reply by peachfuzz

posted

Over the years I've used all of the main 3 (fanfiction.net, Wattpad, and AO3) (god, saying I used ff.net makes me sound old)

With this in mind, each of them has their pros and cons. For a long time, ff.net WAS the best place as it was the only one really largely available, plus there's a lot of inbuilt fandom activity in forums. However, tagging has always suuuuucked and moderation is basically nonexistent now. Wattpad used to have great community engagement, but imo the quality of writing hasn't ever really been the greatest. AO3 - from personal experience - is the best bet in terms of tagging/resources/writing quality, but the ability to get engagement outside of comments and kudos feels lacking. IDK if it's just me tho.

Report Reply

Reply by Eli

posted

AO3 by far (best navigation), then FFN and sometimes even LiveJournal for some old fandoms. Wattpad is my last resort because it never gets me what I'm looking for and the results tend to be things I am not interested in (like self-inserts, OC romance, x reader, or even just shipping in general). 

Report Reply

Reply by helena handbasket

posted

ao3 all the way. wattpad is such a mess to try and use and the ads drive me insane. ao3 is so clean and nice to read and to post on. my doc formatting transfers into it nicely too. also ao3 has fewer reposters/plagiarizers. 

Report Reply

Reply by ♡ Kyle ♡

posted

I normally use Tumblr however I also use AO3, wattpad and very rarely fanfiction.net ! normally I just write in doc's and copy and paste it to the website/app -

Report Reply

Reply by happyface

posted

my all-time favorite is ao3, i used to be a die-hard ff.net user until i finally got old enough to figure out how it works lol. i read fanfiction anywhere save for wattpad; i've even gone the confusing depths of livejournal just to consume content haha (could never really figure out how that one worked)

Report Reply

Reply by Squazmine

posted

I prefer Tumblr and ao3. Tumblr is easy to navigate, and every now and then I'll find a gem on there. I find ao3 more difficult to navigate through but I'm learning slowly. :3

Report Reply

Reply by TFL|Spencer

posted

I absolutely adore AO3! It's my go-to. I participate in fandom communities on Tumblr, though unfortunately the Tumblr search engine is atrociously unnavigable. I grew up on FFN and have nostalgia for it, but I know its navigation is pretty rough. And I know lots of people had the same experience on Wattpad, but my only experience there was someone stealing my entire half a million word fic and posting it as their own while staff refused to do anything because it was a fanfic so I had no copyright privileges, in spite of the fact it was word for word copied and pasted So I doubt I'll ever use Wattpad again. 

Report Reply

Reply by XtremeCringeWarning

posted

Wattpad and Ao3

Ao3’s search filter is amazing and I wish every website has a similar search filter

Wattpad has a shitty search filter but there’s more books about the fandoms I’m in than on Ao3

(sorry for bad grammar)

Report Reply

Reply by LongtimeLurker1999

posted

FanFiction.Net and AO3.

Report Reply

Reply by painfully

posted

Ao3 is just so good. I love it

Report Reply

Reply by StrawberryMiku

posted