« Back to the Islam Forum

The First Pillar of Islam, The Two Shahada's

Posted by ben

posted

Forum: Islam Group

This will take deep insight into the first and most important pillar of Islam, the two Shahada's.

What are they?

Imam Bukhari - may God have mercy on his soul - narrates in his Sahih that the Prophet said:
"I have been ordered to fight the people until they testify that there is no god but God and that Muhammad is the Messenger of God, keep up prayer, and pay the zakah (obligatory alms). If they do this they have guarded their blood and property except by what Islam deems lawful. Their judgment lies with God." Bukhari no.25

Thus, the Shahada, is:
أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمداً رسول الله
Ash-hadu Ann Laa Ilaaha Illa Allah, wa Ash-hadu Anna Muhammadan Rasulu Allah
I testify that there is no god but God and I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God.

We also find that this goes far beyond a simple phrase you utter, it is the entirety of our beliefs as Muslims summarised into one powerful phrase that weighs heavily in the sight of God.

Its Importance

The two Shahada's stem into a deep conviction into the tenents of Islamic belief. It is a conviction and acceptance of God, His nature, His beautiful Names and attributes; and acceptance of Him as our help and our suffice at all times. It also controls the human ego, for you start to come to terms that He has the Kingdom of the heavens and the earth, and you are a lowly servant to Him, and that all matters return to Him. But it also makes the worshipper feel extremely recognised, special, and distinguished amongst the rest of creation. Since God, though He sustains the heavens and the earth, still builds a connection with each and every creature of His and does not turn away the call of a humble worshipper.

The second part of the Shahada is the affirmation that Muhammad, son of Abdullah, is the servant, messenger, prophet, and warner from God. He delivered the message, and fulfilled his duty to God and to the world. He advised the people, and God guided the people through him, leaving us on a clear path. He is our leader and our father in faith who came to revive the religion of Father Abraham, monotheism, to a people who corrupted his faith, and instilled a new Covenant, the final Covenant, that unlike the covenants before it, is for all of the world. He guided the world into a new era, by God's inspiration and revelation, into a set of laws that is made for all places and all times, until the Day of Judgement. He came to affirm what came before him in the Torah and the Gospel and to fulfill the promise God made in those scriptures. The only one with authority to intercede for his nation on the Day of Ressurection.
So peace and blessings of God be upon him, upon his family, upon his companions, and upon whoever follows his guidance till the end of time!

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by LadySarita

posted

This post was very insightful, but would you be able to explain why it is important and what it means in simpler terms? I have no prior knowledge of the Quran and I would like to understand more. 

Report Reply

Reply by Brandon☪Hoyt

posted

Islam literally means to submit.

When we take our Shahadah we are making a commitment so submitting to Allah and testifying that their is no deity other then Allah. And that Mohammed was his slave,servent, and messenger.

Report Reply