« Romance and Relationships Forum

age to date?

Posted by zaL

posted
updated

Forum: Romance and Relationships

what age do you think is appropriate to date at?

i would say not to date to AT LEAST 14. Trust me on this one. When you look back to first partner you'll most likely to cringe and feel embarrassed. plus its really awkward when someone mom has to drive you to dates. 
IK ya'll might really want one but its not worth it..

Report Topic

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Ida

posted

i do not think there is any specific age, it's different for everybody. A relationship at a young age can help you to experience with different feelings and to find out what you really want in a partner or generally in life.

Report Reply

Reply by Ida

posted

i do not think there is any specific age, it's different for everybody. A relationship at a young age can help you to experience with different feelings and to find out what you really want in a partner or generally in life.

Report Reply

Reply by k3r0s3n3_h34rts

posted

like 12 or 13. 

Report Reply

Reply by xXkf100Xx

posted

im not dating anyone till im 15 or 16 so maybe around that age

Report Reply

Reply by Iamthewalrus

posted

Honestly like 11 but dating means something different to kids than it does to adults. I was 11 when I started and no regrets. We didn't even snog, we pecked. It was sweet.

Report Reply

Reply by Alice

posted

agree with Iamthewalrus & Ida. there's probably no specific, numerical age that applies to everyone. it's that people develop in different ways and at different rates. so dating/romance doesn't even mean the same to all people at all ages. you do and feel different things based on where you are in life (school, friends, social relationships etc) and your experience with romance/affection.

if the two are 11 like with Iamthewalrus example, both factors are likely very early days, so it'll be awkward but on the bright side both people will learn a lot from mistakes. their general place in life will still be young but the other factor of dating will be higher, so they'll be better prepared to handle future challenges. it's kind of like developing any skill, really.

if both 14 like in zaL's example or 15-16 like with xXkf100Xx's example, they're a little more advanced as people (high school, has some independence and responsibility now) but not much more advanced in romance usually.

between 20-somethings, it varies wildly depending on how much they did at earlier ages. so I think early or late, everyone will have to figure out where they are in development relative to others and try to work through their feelings with more help (if underdeveloped) or be more of a leader if they're advanced and their partner needs it.

I also think as people age or develop in romance, the types of mistakes they make are very different, so it's hard to say anyone should avoid it at any particular age, since for example the embarrassment that comes at 12 can be replaced by shame about sex or identity at 16, and replaced by anxiety about lifelong commitments at 20.

Report Reply

Reply by Avery

posted

i started dating at 6 he was 49 btw it was my dad

Report Reply

Reply by 99iris

posted

I have no idea, I guess it depends, but I believe the appropriate age to love is 16 because you're much more mentally mature than a 12 year old. I first dated someone at 6, but it was the exposure of past sexual trauma in which I thought was normal. Then when I was 13 some fat prick coerced me into a relationship and my mind being naive and blatantly stupid I went with it, left them and found myself wanting zero relationships with anyone. 

Realistically speaking, once you age more, you'll realize where it went wrong and grow from it. I'm an adult now, in a 9 month Relationship and it's been better than ever.

Report Reply