« Music Forum

Music We Discovered Thanks To MySpace

Posted by ♥ CATPAWS ♥

posted
updated

Forum: Music

I know a lot of people didn't like the autoplay music on MySpace profiles but it was so great for discovering new tunes you wouldn't hear otherwise! I loved visiting people's profiles and not knowing what I was gonna hear. We literally had no chance but to be blasted with something new!

I'm just gonna list off some music from That Era that I was introduced to via MySpace:

(Volume warning, just in case? These might be loud)
  • I remember seeing Linda Strawberry on the homepage around when I first signed up, and her song Dig is still one of my favorite songs. I used some kind of janky program to rip some of the other songs on her page, and those mp3s are still in my iTunes, random system error noises and all. lmao
  • The emo boy I had a huge crush on in 8th grade had this as his profile song for at least a year. I remember not liking it at first, but I kept stalking his page and it kept playing every time, and eventually it wormed its way into my head. :)
  • This is probably the most obnoxious song I've ever heard (and somehow I mean that in a good way?), and it was Audrey Kitching's profile song for a while. It's a lot.
  • I remember first hearing this song on some random girl's MySpace page, but she'd used code to hide her music player, and then had the nerve to be like "DON'T send me messages asking what my music is"!!! The absolute nerve!!! I loved it but I had no way of knowing what it was until I heard it again years later!

What music do y'all remember? :D

Report Topic

24 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by SWH (Punk Jesus)

posted

There are several bands I still listen to thanks to myspace. Goteki, Enfold Darkness, Knights of the Abyss, Brain Drill, Avatar, and a few more I can't remember if I found them through Myspace or not.

I've mostly kept up with their output fairly regularly. good stuff all round.

Report Reply

Reply by Guyokai

posted

HYPER CRUSH

And Rabbit Junk

Report Reply

Reply by mariana

posted

When I first made a myspace the first message I got was from a boy in florida who I immediately fell in (12 yr old version of) love with. He soon got a gf who went to his real life school and got really sad and I went to look at her profile to see what she was like. As I opened it up the best song I felt like I had ever heard started playing. I was obsessed. Completely stopped caring about the boy it was all about this band now.

Which is the weird way I got really into panic! at the disco's the only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage before anyone I knew had ever heard of them.

Report Reply

Reply by Petals And Thorns

posted

The Birthday Massacre

Report Reply

Reply by Brian Palmer

posted

I know there were more than a few bands I latched onto thanks to Myspace, but the two which stand out to me immediately at the moment are Late Night Alumni and The Mars Patrol.

Report Reply

Reply by BlasianBytch

posted

I found out about Panic! at the Disco via myspace back when they all looked like hippy Mormon boys. 

Report Reply

Reply by rebecca ☀☼

posted

the list is endless: Ke$ha, 3oh!3, all time low, thursday, brand new, breathe carolina, sleeping with sirens, just to name a few.
i would literally get on those friend trains just to scour people's playlists on their profiles when i was a young emo.

Report Reply

Reply by EYEAM

posted

SINGER / songwriter / DANCER / actor 
Welcome Too The EyeLand 🧿⚡️🏝💜
🎮🌹anything can happen here 🌎🛸®️
https://tapd.co/iameyeam

Report Reply

Reply by Katrina Bridges

posted

I think the best band that MySpace brought me was We The Kings 💛

Report Reply

Reply by Julie 808

posted

The Used. 

Report Reply

Reply by .keaton.

posted

So outside of the standard Warped Tour bands, these are the bands I remember discovering through MySpace:

Design The Skyline (yes, they were actually kind of good outside of the troll song they released that pissed everyone off)

Ready, Set, Fall (Italian metalcore, love them so much)

Report Reply

Reply by Chungle

posted

I remember finding some land called I believe "anime fire" I loved their stuff and messaged them for their ep when they dropped it, they wouldn't take beans from me and just send me one, turns out they were all the way in Australia, as like a 2

15 year that was super friggin cool

Report Reply

Reply by DayEXSO

posted

hey : )
i would love it if you checked out my music, especially if you're an extreme spacehey user like me. my music will be always available for free on spacehey music when it comes out but for now, please check out my music under DayEXSO, it would truly mean a whole lot to me :]

Report Reply

Reply by Mina Moon

posted
updated

I discovered this super small and obscure alternative rock band on My Space called Violet UK back in the late 2000s. They never made an album (I think they're still around), but they released some early versions of their songs on My Space. I loved this one called Mary Mona Lisa that they never released anywhere else and I loved it. I downloaded it and put it on all of my playlists for years.

Mary Mona Lisa - Violet UK

Shame we never got an album from them I would love to hear a full album of their songs.

Report Reply

Reply by DeathcoreAndSlamJit

posted

Job for a cowboy got their start on my space

Report Reply

Reply by Phantom Elijah Black

posted

I was a baby when MySpace was a thing, but my mom was super into it and discovered Jeffree Star, who definitely made a name for himself through MySpace and making music. Look at him now, he owns a makeup company and a yak ranch. Music will take you places lol.  

Report Reply

Reply by Shayne / EmmaEriica

posted

Cinema Bizarre (also i worked for them after discovering them)

Report Reply

Reply by JTAYLIVXX

posted

litterly the biggest metal band of today. Bring Me The Horizon

Report Reply

Reply by Your_Friendly_Neighborhood_Metalhead_11

posted

This is going to sound a little pick me but idc.  When I was young I was practically brainwashed by a relative to only really acknowledge one type of music.  Metal found me kind of through both marching band (I finally started branching out in high school.  yes... I know) and through myspace, and the first band I ever heard that started breaking the brainwash down was called The Phoeniix. They were on Myspace. They still exist on the Archives.  But they didn't last... Good news, The singer and drummer are in an even better band now! But I didn't find them through Myspace. But I'll probably follow them either until the end of time or until they decide to do something extremely stupid.  

Report Reply

Honestly? I think I've never discovered any music artists through myspace. Vampirefreaks on the other hand... I'd get lost on there for hours just finding music alone.

Report Reply

Reply by Samantha Spacecadet

posted

lol hollywood undead

Report Reply

Reply by linkie ❀

posted
updated

oh my GOD. i remember almost all these bands everyone's listed. i was chronically on myspace 24/7, and probably listened to about 90% of bands on there aaahhh

my #1 that comes to mind though, issss...

I WAS ADDICTED! a girl had it on her profile and i would just go to her page to listen, lol. i waited like a year for the cd to come out!

Report Reply

Reply by Xx_max_barf_bucket_xX

posted

from first to last and suicide silence

Report Reply

Reply by Plegelone

posted

Music transcends geographical boundaries and cultural barriers , finding its infinite reach through the diverse ears of listeners worldwide. People love to enjoy their live concert performance such Gazo Origin concert . Its universality knows no bounds, as the melodies, rhythms, and lyrics resonate with people from every corner of the globe. Whether it's the pulsating beats of electronic dance music in Ibiza, the soulful ballads of Nashville, or the intricate harmonies of classical compositions in Vienna, music's ability to connect and captivate knows no limits, fueled by the open hearts and receptive minds of its listeners.

Report Reply