« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

we need to talk about Vidlii

For those of you who are familiar with the website, you probably already know where this is going. For those of you who do not know, Vidlii is a website based off of Old School YouTube

As much as I want to love that website, it's overrun with White supremacists. It doesn't have enough traffic to make that audience worth dealing with.

People try to use Peertude, but having to deal with instances to look at videos is kind of frustrating. For those of you who don't know that one, it's a peer-to-peer video sharing platform that works in different instances like different servers under an umbrella rather than one big website. PeerTube instances are also flaky.

What's your take on this, community?

Report Topic

10 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Swiftpaw

posted

This unfortunately seems to happen a lot to YouTube clones. They get banned from YouTube, and go to the next alternative, and if they get banned from that they go onto the next one. Bitchute is a similar example of a current popular site for white supremacists and conspiracy theorists. 

I looked at some of Peertube's instances and saw a lot of conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxx. Even though it uses instances, it looks like that platform might have similar problem. 

Odysee is a YouTube alternative that people seem to link and it seemed promising when I looked at it, but I haven't looked as much into it as much yet. 

Report Reply

Reply by KONSTANTIN

posted

yeah I notice that stuff too. I think it's cause since it's much smaller community compared to YoiTube, people think they can get away with that sort of dreck. 

Report Reply

Reply by Helios (he)

posted

@Swiftpaw

I would like to point out here's nothing inherently wrong being a conspiracy theorist, but that title turned sore only recent.

I agree with you, while pointing out that there aren't a lot of Youtube alts. At least not ones with a lot of attention. We all upload videos to get attention, so if the scene isn't poppin', its dead. It's a shame that Vidlii has to be saturated with such an undesirable crowd.

PeerTude is a mixed bag, but there's arguably more agency in what you do and don't see because of the instances. That's only from where I'm looking, though.

You've introduced me to Odysee! I'll check it out.

@chetirie

I think theyve been getting away with it, so far, which is the bigger part of the problem. The devs need people on there to get the platform to take off, but it's still not gonna take off with all the neo-nazis on there. It will end u going to them, rather than everyone else.

Report Reply

Reply by Marc

posted

Most of the rightoid content has decreased since early 2020. The only problem is the lack of users and uploading videos takes long.

Report Reply

Reply by Saikapath

posted
updated

As somebody who used a lot of youtube alternatives (Vidme being the first one). They'll usually be used by these crowds for spreading their messages. It's with anything pretty much, they'll use whatever they can to get them on their side. Because of that, people who just either get tired of youtube's BS or other good reason for joining an alternative video sharing website, they'll get lampooed with these people and journos then call the platform an heaven for their side and then big tech corpos use it as an excuse to eliminate competition. It's an unfortunate vicious cycle.

Anyway, my ranking of alternative video sharing websites go like this (only ones i used):
1. Odysee (big potential with blockchain technology)
2. Vlare (Used to be amazing but then it just died by not paying and then revival failed due to infighting)
3. Vidlii (mostly nostalgia talking)
4. Bitview (same reason as vidlii but not as much)
5. Vidme (It was alright, but they used their startup money for expensive champagnes)
6. Vanillo (Mediocre)
7. Bitchute (ugly looking site and nobody is interesting on there)

Report Reply

Reply by NathanDarkson984

posted

It was unfortunately normal like that in late 2017-early 2018 where I left for good

I came back in 2021 and I can say, that the toxic far-right seems to have died down throughout the years, which is a good thing. If you've seen any, it's a reminder that it was shit in the past where toxic users were there specifically because they think they're cool

We don't condone them, as a community

I've been there in the early years, and even then, we never claim them.

Report Reply

Reply by Crash Test Dummy!1

posted

I use Bitview

Report Reply

Reply by snowy mario 3

posted

check my channel out   https://www.vidlii.com/user/antiosity

Report Reply

Reply by Juli :>

posted

There's another youtube retroish alternative that I know but I haven't used it yet, it's called cyantube I hope it's good idk if anyone wants to try it

Report Reply

Reply by radi0sack

posted

Im confused, you... "need" to talk about vidli? Cause it has "white supremacist" content on it? I put that in quotes because people have vastly confused that term in recent years, as societies understanding of nuanced opinions and satire have disappeared as if they never existed. However, firstly Id say, just like, dont go there, i mean, right? What, are you mad cause you like the concept and site design, but the owner doesnt censor the people you personally dont like? Like, come on now. If your goal is to eradicate the internet of toxic people, then, well, you have your work cut out for you. Thats the optimistic way to say that, its not possible without an authoritarian dictatorship or communist regime who bars off our internet from the rest of the world, and only allows access to government controlled websites. Like in, oh idk, China? North Korea? If theres dumb racist people dominating some platform, just avoid using it. Its that simple. Plus, just side note, theres a MUCH more crucial issue with vidlii content than the autistic edgelord trolls making racist remarks. The site is also, you know, riddled with illegal pr0n, of miners... did you not notice that too? Now if you wanna complain on that, im right there with you. That cess pool should be closed down, the owner clearly enables that, and its sick.

Report Reply